Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Please consider a drop done ''choice''' menu.

Default Please consider a drop done ''choice''' menu.

Edit - read title of thread as ''drop-down''

Ebid - please consider putting in a multiple choice drop down menu.

Eg.....someone selling jumpers, could offer it in red/green/blue etc, or by sizes.
    Could be shown as a drop down menu on each listing.

From my own point of view, instead of having 22 different listings for German Shepherd fridge magnets, one listing could show a drop down menu with all 22 of them. They just click on the drop down menu to view or purchase each particular one.

I realise this would cut down listings figures, but it would make the site much more buyer friendly, and less cluttered to save visitors having to go through page after page of similar listings.
    (using my own magnet listings, it would cut them down from 4,290 to 200).
    Last edited by MagnetsAndHangers; 24th December 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Seconded. We get enough newbies asking how they do this to show there's a demand for it, I think. I wouldn't like it to be a "must use", in other words people who want to list each colour/breed/size separately should still be able to do so, but an option to make a choice-style listing would be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Seconded. We get enough newbies asking how they do this to show there's a demand for it, I think. I wouldn't like it to be a "must use", in other words people who want to list each colour/breed/size separately should still be able to do so, but an option to make a choice-style listing would be excellent.
    It can also increase sales - (I have proved this)

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, it does make sense...however, wouldn't this decrease the total number of eBid listings...don't think Gazza/Mark would want that...just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    Yes, it does make sense...however, wouldn't this decrease the total number of eBid listings...don't think Gazza/Mark would want that...just MHO.
    Thats the problem.

quantity appears to be too important in my opinion.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    Thats the problem.

quantity appears to be too important in my opinion.
    Quite. That's why all the emphasis on "X number of listings", both from eBid and the forums, makes me antsy.

I think this is such a good idea

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

It would save those "have you got this in a larger size?" queries too
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Back in "the daze" of 2003-2004, when eBid was growing from 100,000 through to 250,000 listings, there were a lot more sales on the site from my point of view.
    I can only attribute this to people being able to find stuff, although there may be other reasons such as the 6-monthly seller migrations from the Sith Lords, leading to sellers "buying" their start-up feedback and so forth.

I also remember that from 2004 (when I first started monitoring such things) up to around 3rd quarter of 2007, that the Sith Lords had a slowish listing count growth rising from around 6 million to 10 million. When they hit a regular 12-13 million by the end of 2007, people were moaning the site was too cluttered, and indeed that was one reason they cited for chopping westbound trans-Atlantic visibility in first quarter of 2007 (without telling anyone for six weeks).

For eBid, as it stands today, I'd say the maximum manageable listings would be around 5 million. After that, there has to be improvements to search and search filtering, as well as better category policing - hint, try a search for just "website" - you'll get about 300 results on uk.ebid.net but look at them carefully - - - is it spelled e-book or ebook? When is an eBook not an ebook - when it's an emailed website template, etc etc. How about listings in that same keyword, and also in "hosting", that blatantly advertise the seller is a Sith Lord powerseller (a now deprecated term that does not officially exist anymore) with thousands of feedback, and includes a link to their own ecommerce enabled website.

I'm not a great fan of listing bloat, even though I am forced to do it to make listing management manageable - my incense and mulberry paper ranges being prime examples - and also because there's just too many buyers who buy from a choice listing and simply never tell you what they want (or used to before sales dried up).

- so, if a drop down before-bidding selector was available, I'd be all for it. It'd reduce abandoned purchases, and avoid unnecessary listings bloat - both of which are good for the buyer and the seller (and technologically speaking - good for the servers too).

Thread Information