eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Store General and Category Questions

Forum Newbie
    View kbeuning's Feedback (+3069)
    All-About kbeuning
    View kbeuning's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Store General and Category Questions

Hi, I am new to eBid, trying to set up store(s). I sell mostly vintage jewelry, and also vintage buttons and other smalls.

Do I need a store for each main category, i.e. one each for Jewelry, Collectibles, and Antiques? It looks like I can't have them all in one.

It is confusing to me, with Section 2 asking for a store category and store subcategory, then in section 3 there are "parent" and "sub" categories.

Thank you!!

Forum Diehard
    View SherMari's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About SherMari
    View SherMari's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Store General and Category Questions

No you can have them all in one store, however if you have a large number in each category I would open one for jewelry and one for antiques and collectibles Thank you so much for becoming a seller here. I you have any questions, the forum members are very helpful and there are just for education just check the Forum under auction listing selling etc, they are all there. If additional help is needed, do what I did and come to the kitchen table and cry, some one will be along with Jack Daniels or tea or what ever that stuff in that coffee pot over there is.

Quote Originally Posted by kbeuning View Post
    Hi, I am new to eBid, trying to set up store(s). I sell mostly vintage jewelry, and also vintage buttons and other smalls.

Do I need a store for each main category, i.e. one each for Jewelry, Collectibles, and Antiques? It looks like I can't have them all in one.

It is confusing to me, with Section 2 asking for a store category and store subcategory, then in section 3 there are "parent" and "sub" categories.

Thank you!!
    It's confusing because the Store Category and Subcategory must be chosen from eBid's dropdown list. For our main store, we used "Collectibles" with the subcategory "Vintage". That might be what you'd want to use if you put everything in one store, it's probably the most generic. If you decide to set up three different stores, you can be more specific.

You can have up to 30 main categories in each store, and up to 15 subcategories in each of them, and the names to enter are totally up to you. That would work for your items, one category each for Jewelry, Collectibles, and Antiques. Those would be entered in the "Parent Category" in section 3. You don't have to use subcategories if you don't need them.

I would offer one bit of advice, based on my mistakes. Think it through before you start. If you put all your items in the main categories and then decide to break them down into subcategories later, you can't add a subcategory! You have to move everything out, or set up a new temporary store and move the items in when it's ready, then do some renaming and delete the old (empty) store. Lots of work.

Forum Newbie
    All-About kbeuning
    View kbeuning's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you both!
    Sher Mari - My son is bringing home some Grand Marnier for me tonight, so that should help!! :-)
    Thank you, Tia, for the advice! I am thinking hard about it, my head hurts, lol!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

The only reason for the Category and Subcategory in section 2 of the store setup is so eBid knows where to place it within the Stores list.

If you are mixing disparate items within the same store then best locate it under the General Stores category.

Forum Newbie
    All-About kbeuning
    View kbeuning's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you, astral276!

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have one general store (with subcatagories within it) for my collectables, misc junque from downsizing our hobbies and household as we get ready to retire. I have one specialized store - just photographic items. Sub catagories within it. That leaves me three stores if I want to have them. I could take postcards out of my general store, and just have a store for postcards....sub catagories by state, or topic, or real photo, or whatever I want to call them, I think. Look around at a bunch of the different sellers by clicking our signature links, or our names at the left on the thread here. See how stores are set up. Check out bykimbo's and astral's help threads. Look at the top R of this page - click help, and see all the info available. And invite us all over when you open the Gran Marinier. mmmmmmm good luck!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Newbie
    All-About kbeuning
    View kbeuning's Listings
    Forum Posts

I did some looking around and I am catching on. I opened the Gran Marnier last night. Come on over anytime and share!!

-Karen in Georgia, USA

Still working on the signature...

Forum Newbie
    All-About Shinning
    View Shinning's Listings
    Forum Posts

How does one find items that have already been sold?

Thread Information