My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: CN22 incorrectly marked as gift

Default CN22 incorrectly marked as gift

My last 3 orders from outside the EU have all had their CN22 marked as gift when in fact they are not gifts they are something that I have purchased.

They have all been low value (under £10 each)

The questions are,
    Am I the one who would be held responsible for a seller incorrectly marking an item to me as gift or would they go for the seller.
    Is it a common issue?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: CN22 incorrectly marked as gift

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    My last 3 orders from outside the EU have all had their CN22 marked as gift when in fact they are not gifts they are something that I have purchased.

They have all been low value (under £10 each)

The questions are,
    Am I the one who would be held responsible for a seller incorrectly marking an item to me as gift or would they go for the seller.
    Is it a common issue?
    It's certainly common. They think they're being clever saving customs payments, like HMRC never heard of that one! I've been asked many times to mark a package as a gift, and have refused. At one point elsewhere I used to have it on my T&Cs that I wouldn't do it, so please don't ask! No idea who it falls on, but I'd expect it's the seller who's in trouble and the buyer just pays if there's anything due.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    Am I the one who would be held responsible for a seller incorrectly marking an item to me as gift ...
    Technically, Yes.

Under international postal agreements the sender must complete a customs declaration (form CN22 or CN23) which in most cases should be fixed to the package. The declaration includes a description of the goods, the value and whether they are gifts or commercial items. Any Post Office abroad should be able to give advice to the sender.

You are legally responsible for the information on the declaration; therefore it is in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad makes a complete and accurate declaration. If no declaration is made, or the information is inaccurate, the package may be delayed while we make further enquiries, or in some cases the package and its contents may be seized.

Ref: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ument#P18_1583

Seems off that you can be held responsible for the actions of another person; one you have likely never met.
    Last edited by astral276; 24th May 2011 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Technically, Yes.

Ref: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ument#P18_1583

Seems off that you can be held responsible for the actions of another person; one you have likely never met.
    Thanks for that, I also feel that it's unfair that the buyer be held responsible (in the UK anyway)

Hi Sarah, i will probably get shouted down for this, as i have done before, but i think there are 2 ways of looking at this. whilst i dont think you would pay any duty on a £10 item, if it were a more expensive one its not just the amount you pay to h.m.c., its also the delay whist they send you a bill to pay. some people are impatient when waiting 5 days for items from overseas, plus i think you will find that there is a little handling charge hidden in the payment. perhaps your sellers are just trying to give as little hassle as possible to your purchase. on that other site i,m sure the sellers ratings would be murdered with the delays and extra charges, thankfully we dont have that system here on ebid. whilst on the subject, i was told in no uncertain terms that there are no import duties on goods sent to U.S.A.....i still disagree. as i say, this is just my opinion and i,m sure some people have other ideas and thoughts. good luck rod

Feel free to browse my stores

http://hobbyhabitat.ebid.net All things crafty
    http://plain-and-purl.ebid.net Knitting Patterns
    http://floating-buy.ebid.net Fishing Tackle

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHabitat View Post
    Hi Sarah, i will probably get shouted down for this, as i have done before, but i think there are 2 ways of looking at this. whilst i dont think you would pay any duty on a £10 item, if it were a more expensive one its not just the amount you pay to h.m.c., its also the delay whist they send you a bill to pay. some people are impatient when waiting 5 days for items from overseas, plus i think you will find that there is a little handling charge hidden in the payment. perhaps your sellers are just trying to give as little hassle as possible to your purchase. on that other site i,m sure the sellers ratings would be murdered with the delays and extra charges, thankfully we dont have that system here on ebid. whilst on the subject, i was told in no uncertain terms that there are no import duties on goods sent to U.S.A.....i still disagree. as i say, this is just my opinion and i,m sure some people have other ideas and thoughts. good luck rod
    When I've had duty to pay, it's been taken by the delivery firm on handover, so no delay was involved.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31696)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I get quite a few things from Singapore and China, and all I deal with are pretty good with CN22. They make it clear it is a low value purchase.
    I do the same when I sending to USA or wherever.
    After all there is delivery slip in the packet showing price.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thread Information