eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Returns/Refund Policy as Private Seller?

Default Returns/Refund Policy as Private Seller?

As a private seller, what terms and conditions should I offer in regards to returns and refunds? Legally do I have to offer anything?; although stating, "no returns accepted" puts buyers off. It would put me off buying from someone. Also say someone pays with PayPal/PPPPay (is that one P too many?)/GoogleCheckout/etc, do they have their own rules that state I have to give a refund if a customer request one?

Default Re: Returns/Refund Policy as Private Seller?

You do not have to have a return policy, but it puts some people off. I think it also matters what type of item(s) you are selling. For my particular collectible art items, a return policy doesn't really apply and is just not practical... However if an item is dammaged in shipping or something of that sort, I take care of them. Also, services like Paypal also offer buyers protection against being "screwed".

So the short answer is no you do not have to offer a return policy, I would just make sure that is clearly stated.

First, as everyone agrees, most of us will simply not buy from a seller who doesn't want to accept returns.

Second, all sellers might just as well say they'll accept them. Because if we don't, and a buyer is unhappy, they can get their money back. I don't know anything about PPPPay, but both PayPal and Google Checkout, and all credit cards, will refund the money if the buyer files a complaint that the merchandise was not delivered, that it was defective, that it was broken, that it was not as described. So we might as well accept returns, at least then we have a chance of getting the stuff back.

View Naturelady's Feedback (+653)
    All-About Naturelady
    View Naturelady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    First, as everyone agrees, most of us will simply not buy from a seller who doesn't want to accept returns.

Second, all sellers might just as well say they'll accept them. Because if we don't, and a buyer is unhappy, they can get their money back. I don't know anything about PPPPay, but both PayPal and Google Checkout, and all credit cards, will refund the money if the buyer files a complaint that the merchandise was not delivered, that it was defective, that it was broken, that it was not as described. So we might as well accept returns, at least then we have a chance of getting the stuff back.
    Well stated.

View Naturelady's Feedback (+653)
    All-About Naturelady
    View Naturelady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CuttingMyOwnThroat View Post
    As a private seller, what terms and conditions should I offer in regards to returns and refunds? Legally do I have to offer anything?; although stating, "no returns accepted" puts buyers off. It would put me off buying from someone. Also say someone pays with PayPal/PPPPay (is that one P too many?)/GoogleCheckout/etc, do they have their own rules that state I have to give a refund if a customer request one?
    I can't see your auctions. Do you not sell to US or other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Naturelady View Post
    I can't see your auctions. Do you not sell to US or other countries?
    The stuff I have listed I put as UK buyers only because of the ridiculously high postage charges to overseas buyers. A 600g parcel to elsewhere in the UK is £2.61. Same weight to the USA is £7.59. I cannot convinced myself that someone from abroad would be willing to fork out so much more on postage when he/she could probably buy the same item in own country for less. Even sending items to mainland Europe, I still question whether anyone would pay.

Maybe the question of "are you willing to buy from overseas despite paying more for postage?" should be put to a public vote.

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CuttingMyOwnThroat View Post

Maybe the question of "are you willing to buy from overseas despite paying more for postage?" should be put to a public vote.

I don't know anything about if putting it to a pubic vote would help or not. But for me ---- if the shipping price is my only concern for shipping international --- I will ship international. It cost me nothing additional to list it for international shipping and it allows the buyer to decide if the shipping is worth it to 'them'.

Someone international purchased one of my items for $15.00 USD and the shipping was $40+ USD. They were very happy with their purchase. Had I not had it offered for other than domestic -------
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

Why not let the buyers vote . . . with their money? It doesn't cost us anything extra to offer to other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by ropegg View Post
    I don't know anything about if putting it to a pubic vote would help or not. But for me ---- if the shipping price is my only concern for shipping international --- I will ship international. It cost me nothing additional to list it for international shipping and it allows the buyer to decide if the shipping is worth it to 'them'.

Someone international purchased one of my items for $15.00 USD and the shipping was $40+ USD. They were very happy with their purchase. Had I not had it offered for other than domestic -------
    I agree completely, no reason to cutoff more potential customers! I offer all my items worldwide and offer three shipping options, so the customer can pick the best combination of speed and cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ropegg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Why not let the buyers vote . . . with their money? It doesn't cost us anything extra to offer to other countries.
    In short, you both are suggesting I offer to overseas buyers. I better go and edit my auctions.

Thread Information