Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Advice Needed

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Exclamation Advice Needed

Over the past few weeks I have been getting emails from people wanting to purchase one of my auctions, this is fine but they are not actully buying them via ebid, they want to send me a cheque for more than the price of my auction and then wants me to send them back a cheque for the amount they have overpaid, I know that this is a scam as I have been warned and have sent one of the emails I received to ebid-ebid have assured me that they have taken this person off.
    All these emails have wanted me to send the Item to South Afica.

Somebody has just purchased an item via buy now and wants to pay by Bidpay and sent DHL to Afica.

How can I be sure that this is a geniun buyer, has anybody else had dealings with South Africa "what do I do help"

Chez

So how does this scam work? They cancel the cheque and keep the "difference" cheque you send them? Why would they want to overpay in the first place?

Probably best to get them to pay you via paypal or PPPay or some other on line for the correct amount - better still, ask them to send you a sterling money order for the correct amount!
    For personalised pop art, visit my shop: http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Happy-Brushstrokes

Quote Originally Posted by mimms0
    Somebody has just purchased an item via buy now and wants to pay by Bidpay and sent DHL to Afica.
    YOU decide how you want to be paid and how the item will be sent - not them.
    If YOU are not happy using that payment system or that courier, then don't.

Simple.

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz
    So how does this scam work? They cancel the cheque and keep the "difference" cheque you send them? Why would they want to overpay in the first place?

Probably best to get them to pay you via paypal or PPPay or some other on line for the correct amount - better still, ask them to send you a sterling money order for the correct amount!
    Thanks for that I have allready told them that I do not take bidpay and that they must pay some other way awaiting for reply from them,

Not sure how the scam works, in a early thread someone had done what they asked and the buyer managed to stop the cheque, and had the goods as well, will try and find the thread and read it again.

Thanks
    Chez

They offer to send you a cheque, a business cheque - that for some reason is above the value. Therefore they ask you to cash the cheque (as they claim it will be too much trouble to redo the cheque) and send them the balance and the item.

A few weeks down the line the cheque is discovered to be fake, and therefore you end up out of pocket and sans the item.

One thing I've often wondered about this scam...

You cash the cheque & wait 'till it clears before sending the goods...

How would it be if you let it clear & wait a month or two?

How can the banks clear a rubber cheque? Surely with all the online stuff it's a matter of a few seconds for them to ensure the cheque is real?
    Nowt here so don't bother looking

SEARCHING for ET

Because

a) The cheque may be on some obscure bank
    b) its such a good forgery it may take a week or two to be noticed

Besides, the scammers normally ask for their money and the goods asap... if you ask to wait they go elsewhere

But then you delay them by saying the goods are en route (which they aren't) or start by saying that you inspected the goods & noticed a flaw (or whatever) to delay things whilst the cheque clears properly.

Imagine the fun you could have with these losers.
    Nowt here so don't bother looking

SEARCHING for ET

there is that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;-)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeguts
    Imagine the fun you could have with these losers.
    They usually offer to send DHL in to collect, so pack something smelly (dog poo ?) in a box, along with some toy money, and they will be paying the shipping costs for it LOL.

Thread Information