eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some PC Help please

Default Some PC Help please

Hopefully someone can help!

Can anyone tell me of any programs that will copy everything thats on my 6GB onto my 40GB Hard drive?

The 6GB will then be wiped for storage

Many thanks

Have a google for "Ghost"

A ghosting tool such as Norton Ghost will do this. There's probably something cheaper out there if you've got to go out and buy something, but that's what I've always used - although sometimes, I'd take the option of backing the data up and blatting a new installation of everything on to the new hard disk in the first place - start with a clean slate as it were....

Thanks guys will have a look, but I am also wanting to upgrade from 98se to XP, good idea or bad!

Would I be better searching for updated drivers etc and then just doing a complete clean install of XP on the new drive?

Clean install every time...

HOWEVER

Do not even think of going on the net till you've installed

AV and Firewall

Otherwise you'll be doing it all day

Shall do that then pasiphae, if I take a screen capture, can I post it here to see what the XP update says? eg incompatibles etc, I know my Laser Printer will need a new XP driver and possibly my USB card, but I'm sure there will be others...here goes,

may be worth downloading them first..

Thanks pasiphae

Bit of a blunder here....bought XP from a friend, original disc etc but no product key sticker could be found...we pulled the Product Key off of his old PC and used that as he was dicontinuing using XP

The key will not activate!!!! Keeps telling me it's unauthorised! Any help?

View Apollo2003's Feedback (+54)
    All-About Apollo2003
    View Apollo2003's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi UK

You won't beable to register it with your details, if ya mate isn't using it and he doesn't mind you using his details, then try with them, reason is microsoft store the reg details, You will need to phone MS for a new key if you want to register it yourself. They will ask you for some details from the licence (sticker in your case).

Hope this helps ya !

Just one thing about XP. If you reformat, or shift it to a new PC, you only get 3 goes at it. I had XP on my first PC, put it on my second one, and after a virus did a clean install. I decided later for various reasons to do a clean sweep and reinstall with a partition, only my keycode no longer worked. Micros**t, when I phoned up, said it was to stop students from all using the one XP disk for all their PC's. I pointed out I was a grandmother and not into scamming. They wouldn't give me a new keycode, but a PC engineer gave me a code they use, and it worked. This PC has XP home, but it is registered to HP, and is included in the HP back up set of 6 disks.

Thread Information