Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspending Big Buyers ??????

Default Suspending Big Buyers ??????

Having done targeted listings for a specific buyer quite a few times and wondering why no sales have come in from them I took a quick look at their account......... the buyer has a strike through their name.

This is a big buyer - someone who lives about 5 minutes away from me, nice person and as a historian has a lot of knowledge and influence. I have hand delivered items purchased on eBid to this person on Christmas Day and Boxing day before. A buyer who many of the big sellers in collectibles would be absolutely horrified to see suspended.

They got 16 negs for non payment from one seller. That seller has a very strange set up which could very easily be mis-read, they are effectively charging double for their items if the buyer is using paypal. So a seller with a confusing set up gives 16 negs to a prolific buyer and the buyer gets thrown off the site. A buyer that has made many hundreds of purchases on eBid.

The buyer is actively purchasing like mad on the bay........ somewhere around 100 in the last month, as well as just about every other site that you can think of.

So this buyer is no longer welcome on eBid but welcome everywhere else???????? Because they have upset one confusing seller with odd selling practices?

I put a question to support and was quoted - to protect the eBid community. There is only one seller who is unhappy - not the community - I could name a dozen big sellers who would be furious that this buyer is no longer with us.

Ok contrast the above with another seller's feedback....

Just looking at the first page:

20 negs all for not having stock
    7 neutrals - for not having stock.

Some of the positives even have reference to not having any stock!!!

Needless to say that seller is still active...... has upset a multitude of buyers on eBid because of their selling practices.

So one buyer upsets just one seller and despite well over 500 purchases on eBid is now not welcome to buy here - to protect the community.

But a seller can upset just about every buyer they deal with.......because they have no stock..... but that is fine ??!!

In this instance I am extremely embarrassed that a good buyer is no longer with us.

Something is very wrong when this happens. Senseless!
    Last edited by deanosaur1972; 13th January 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Default Re: Suspending Big Buyers ??????

I had a similar thing happen with one of my best buyers about a year ago. She was a customer that had also bought from me previously on the other side. I think she must have run her own bricks and mortar business as she would take a while to pay for things at times, which I presume was because of cash flow, however she always paid in the end. Because she didn't pay instantly she kept getting impatient sellers neg her and kept getting thrown off. She returned several times but in the end gave up. I presume she has just gone back to buying on the other side now.

I had a very good buyer who was also struck of after getting 18 negs from ONE buyer.... but I have just noticed he no longer has a strike through... hopefully he will start buying from Mo, Dave and the rest of us

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    I had a very good buyer who was also struck of after getting 18 negs from ONE buyer.... but I have just noticed he no longer has a strike through... hopefully he will start buying from Mo, Dave and the rest of us
    Yes I spent about an hour messaging with the buyer you mention when he initially had problems to try and find out if it was an eBid problem or a paypal problem. It was a paypal problem - shame that another seller was trigger happy with neg button rather than using good old communication. Good that he is back.

The buyer I mention who has been kicked off the site has also dealt with yourself before as well as Dave, Mo etc etc..... the list is endless. This is all acutely embarrassing for me because I have seen some of his vast collections in person and even had a guided tour of his gardens. When you put a lot of effort into making buyers happy here on eBid it is infuriating that one seller can undo all of the good work created by a multitude of others.

Would be good if sellers like this were informed as to why they had the strikethrough. Maybe someting needs putting into the algorithm to highlight when a large number of negs are from one seller so that it can be looked at before taking action. One seller giving 18 negs is totally different from even 3 or 4 negs from different sellers and surely looking at the positive feedback would have shown that there is no problem with the buyer.

I take it you have contacted support. The last thing we need is losing good buyers.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    Having done targeted listings for a specific buyer quite a few times and wondering why no sales have come in from them I took a quick look at their account......... the buyer has a strike through their name.

This is a big buyer - someone who lives about 5 minutes away from me, nice person and as a historian has a lot of knowledge and influence. I have hand delivered items purchased on eBid to this person on Christmas Day and Boxing day before. A buyer who many of the big sellers in collectibles would be absolutely horrified to see suspended.

They got 16 negs for non payment from one seller. That seller has a very strange set up which could very easily be mis-read, they are effectively charging double for their items if the buyer is using paypal. So a seller with a confusing set up gives 16 negs to a prolific buyer and the buyer gets thrown off the site. A buyer that has made many hundreds of purchases on eBid.

The buyer is actively purchasing like mad on the bay........ somewhere around 100 in the last month, as well as just about every other site that you can think of.

So this buyer is no longer welcome on eBid but welcome everywhere else???????? Because they have upset one confusing seller with odd selling practices?

I put a question to support and was quoted - to protect the eBid community. There is only one seller who is unhappy - not the community - I could name a dozen big sellers who would be furious that this buyer is no longer with us.

Ok contrast the above with another seller's feedback....

Just looking at the first page:

Needless to say that seller is still active...... has upset a multitude of buyers on eBid because of their selling practices.

So one buyer upsets just one seller and despite well over 500 purchases on eBid is now not welcome to buy here - to protect the community.

But a seller can upset just about every buyer they deal with.......because they have no stock..... but that is fine ??!!

In this instance I am extremely embarrassed that a good buyer is no longer with us.

Something is very wrong when this happens. Senseless!
    Our systems are unable to distinguish the current level of personal acquaintance and friendliness between a buyer and seller and it is not one of the determinants that go into the decision to flag an account. 16 negatives does mean a flag and we would be lambasted to kingdom come if it didn't so I cannot apologise for putting this account under scrutiny.

If however the user in question did open a support ticket and their argument was not listened to correclty then I will apologise. Let me know the ticket ID if you are aware of it.

We will always place a common sense human final decision on any question we are asked that involves an account be accessible or not on a permanent basis as was the case with the seller in question's account.
    Last edited by gazza; 13th January 2013 at 01:30 PM.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Lurker
    View MelmacALF's Feedback (+76)
    All-About MelmacALF
    View MelmacALF's Listings
    Forum Posts

They got 16 negs for non payment from one seller. That seller has a very strange set up which could very easily be mis-read, they are effectively charging double for their items if the buyer is using paypal. So a seller with a confusing set up gives 16 negs to a prolific buyer and the buyer gets thrown off the site. A buyer that has made many hundreds of purchases on eBid.......
    But the fact is he did not pay for the items. If he had a reasonable explanation for non payment, I'm sure eBid would take it into account if contacted.

As for the sellers terms being confusing and "charging double" for paypal payments. I looked at his current listings and the offer seem very clear and straighforward to me, and I see some of his buyers have been happy with his BOGOF offer.

Seller should not be on ebid, is this another example of imported positive feedback distorting the sellers percentages ?

edit - sorry I type slow so never saw ebids reply above :-(

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Our systems are unable to distinguish the current level of personal acquaintance and friendliness between a buyer and seller and it is not one of the determinants that go into the decision to flag an account. 16 negatives does mean a flag and we would be lambasted to kingdom come if it didn't so I cannot apologise for putting this account under scrutiny.

If however the user in question did open a support ticket and their argument was not listened to correclty then I will apologise. Let me know the ticket ID if you are aware of it.

We will always place a common sense human final decision on any question we are asked that involves an account be accessible or not on a permanent basis as was the case with the seller in question's account.

Gazza

In this instance the effective charge for using paypal was £10.40 extra.

On that the buyer walks - on finding himself excluded from eBid........ the situation becomes ridiculous.

The point is that a seller with really odd selling practices has whacked a great buyer off the site - one seller undoes all the good work that many good sellers have put in.

One seller should not be able to play GOD with a buyers account.

That is not protecting the community it can damage the community.

But a seller who has upset a multitude of buyers....... because they never have any stock... what action is being taken there?

I have noticed an increase in sales since the sellers who were not logging into their accont were removed. That may be coincidence or it may be that buyer confidence in the site has been increased. Maybe the next stage in that process needs to be sellers who for other reasons are not delivering the expected service, be that unfair selling conditions as in this case or listing items that are not in stock on a regular basis. As Dean says one bad seller can ruin the hard work of many, to the detriment of those sellers individually and eBid as a whole.

Forum Lurker
    View MelmacALF's Feedback (+76)
    All-About MelmacALF
    View MelmacALF's Listings
    Forum Posts

The point is that a seller with really odd selling practices...
    I dont think giving a discount for a type of payment is odd, just like I dont see it odd if a shop gives me a discount for cash.

One seller should not be able to play GOD with a buyers account.
    But they don't, this is not ebay with automated responces, the buyer should have contacted support and let them decide, they afterall have final say, not the buyer or seller.

As for the other seller, like I said before, with that feedback you quote they should not be on ebid, is it because of high imported feedback distorting the % ?

Thread Information