My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: why not Google verified?

Lightbulb why not Google verified?

I already emailed this question to ebid customer service, which asked the question, why eBid is not Google verified? I have observed through Firefox firebug that eBay is Google, Bing, and Yahoo verified. Where ebid is not. I understand that ebid like Amazon might use Jquery or Java scripts PHP Ruby Python or whatever hieroglyphic animal. But when it comes down to doing a search on Google for auction keywords, not specific auction titles, eBay is really 1st on the list, then Amazon, and it makes me wonder if the scripts ebid uses are broken or just don't work.

My question is why not get the ebid site Google verified apparently it's free. I'm not sure about the other search engines I know Yahoo actually charges, but Bing might be free and they submit the site to Yahoo anyway.

If you were going to compete with eBay wouldn't it be a good idea to use similar tools? Like Google's site verification. Yes you could say that search engines work on hits and ebay gets a ton of hits and maybe that's why eBay is on top. But if a site can't be found to get hits, then the site won't get anywhere unless people search specifically for ebids, which I don't believe is likely people search with keywords of what they're looking for, and if it shows up as eBay that's where they're going to go.

thank you very much
    Last edited by airbrushFX; 19th September 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: why not Google verified?

Pretty sure that eBid is verified, and my items frequently appear above similar eBay and Amazon listings.

Actually no. If you go to https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en It actually says this site is not verified. sites on the web don't have to be Google verified, but since eBay uses it wouldn't it be a good idea for ebid to use it too.
    Last edited by airbrushFX; 19th September 2013 at 06:36 PM.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by airbrushFX View Post
    Actually no. If you go to https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en It actually says this site is not verified. sites on the web don't have to be Google verified, but since eBay uses it wouldn't it be a good idea for ebid to use it too.
    I could be wrong about this but I think you can only check out a site that belongs to you,because you have to insert a piece of code.Could you give us a screen shot of what you're seeing that gives you the impression eBid isn't verified.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Save your fingers.. basically means nada for this site. every nook and cranny, north, south, up, down is/has been delved into by newbies.. all means nada for sales here. Endless (their first 2 weeks here) yakaty yak... then most poof.
    Point is nothing here will work till they Show Bids to folks who scroll the sub-cats.. has to be done in a 6 Month time-frame(getting the word out) will bring big players... but no-one listens, just take the signup fees and be glad

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    ....has been delved into by newbies.. all means nada for sales here. Endless (their first 2 weeks here) yakaty yak... then most poof.
    Point is nothing here will work till they Show Bids....
    I am being to think that you have a one track mind.

Why would showing bids make ant difference to my sales.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    Save your fingers.. basically means nada for this site. every nook and cranny, north, south, up, down is/has been delved into by newbies.. all means nada for sales here. Endless (their first 2 weeks here) yakaty yak... then most poof.
    Point is nothing here will work till they Show Bids to folks who scroll the sub-cats.. has to be done in a 6 Month time-frame(getting the word out) will bring big players... but no-one listens, just take the signup fees and be glad
    I have seen this many times myself, and do not care about seeing bids, if eBid thought it would make a difference then they would have done it by now, obviously they do not think it will not do anything to help sales.

No, you can actually input http://ca.ebid.net/ into https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...ntinue=/addurl it will then say "your request has been received and will be processed shortly". but if you click on the words(link) Webmaster tools it will then show you icons of the ebid site which says "You don't have access to this site. Verify this site or ask a site owner to add you as a user. - Verify this site" because that's were you need to own the site.

But if you use a tool like firebug or similar which shows the code within the meta-tags there should be various search engine serial numbers which are given to the webmaster to verify the sites to that search engine. EBay has these, ebid, and Amazon do not. Ebid Customer service told me that "Google, Yahoo and Bing have different options for site validations. Meta tags, html file uploads etc. eBid does not use the meta tag method for site verification."

What I was asking is, since eBay uses these verifications, and is always ranked as the top site, so wouldn't it be a good idea to be verified? Or to phrase the question differently, does being verified make a difference in coming top site in the search results?

(newbies) I'll take offense to that.

Thread Information