Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Free membership for buyers only

Default Re: Free membership for buyers only

One danger of a strategy like that is that potential sellers might get the impression that sales were forced on buyers as it was the only way to get people to buy on the site.

My own opinion is that sellers do find eBid, but as has been pointed out in this and other threads in the past, they leave due to lack of sales. While we all know that sales can be made many sellers never visit the forums or have any way of knowing the best way to make the sales. A guide when they join could help at least some of these sellers, or even just advice to look in on the forums.

As for the fee structure I am inclined to agree that something could be done to tidy things up. As a start I would either get rid of or increase the 24 hour upgrade offer, ideally by making the offer price the advertised price. I would also like to see the gallery image free for all listings.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think we discount the resourcefulness of online sellers.

Just about everyone is Google aware and if they found ebay not to their taste, they would soon look for alternatives.

I also think that most internet users are aware of forums.
    And that they probably check out the forums before they join a site.

I think sellers just can't be bothered to put the work in in order to get a few sales on ebid.

Most sellers rely on the income from selling either as a primary or supplement income & can not afford to wait months or even years just to get a couple of sales, so even though the bay has higher fees people get the sales they need & just stay there or go back when they don't get sales on other sites.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10051)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I think we discount the resourcefulness of online sellers.

Just about everyone is Google aware and if they found ebay not to their taste, they would soon look for alternatives.

I also think that most internet users are aware of forums.
    And that they probably check out the forums before they join a site.

I think sellers just can't be bothered to put the work in in order to get a few sales on ebid.

And for this reason many will be put off by the constant stream of negative comments which are posted in the forum.
    This is difficult because free speech should not forcibly curtailed but some members repeat the same complaints over and over and over......... A little restraint could do eBid a lot of good.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I have always thought that would be a great idea.

Maybe several shorter ones that people might actually print out and keep.
    The member support forums have a lot of general sections on most topics, but each one is fragmented by different comments & posts.
    Why couldn't we have a "Newbies Start Here" section, which could be all the points and tips collected together which apply to new starters.

A list of things to do, a checklist and examples of key word layout, the detail about Google inclusion, and so forth.
    The FAQs often dont ask the questions I want the answers to, so I don't get the answers I need.

A simple piece of advice, which I've never found anywhere, is to look at successful sellers' sites. see what works.

Can I suggest a new thread, to be included in the "Members Support Forums", to which members could add trheir ideas.

If someone had the time and inclination, and it should really come from the administrators, they could trawl through these forums and pick up the questions that new sellers ask. Put together, that would form the nucleus of a simple "How-to" thread.

I have seen this suggestion several times, in different forms, so there is a need.

The alternative is that eBid feels like a club, where everybody but you knows how to make it work. Perhaps that is what discourages new members enough to leave.

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

The best advice I found when I first started on ebid was on Astral's knowledge base.

Personally I think this should be a 'sticky' and would solve a lot of problems for those searching for advice.

If I start to list again, this is where I would go. It is updated by Astral regularly and most questions are answered with step by step instructions.

http://mootango.webspace.virginmedia...idkb.htm#a0018

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

"The alternative is that eBid feels like a club, where everybody but you knows how to make it work. Perhaps that is what discourages new members enough to leave"

I agree. And, with all due respect to those who DO sell - and sell well - the 'Positive Thread' is not always helpful or encouraging to those who are struggling - a bit like having salt rubbed into the wounds.

Tisket: A sticky of Astrals knowledge base has often been suggested. But, as excellent as the advice is, I think the written word that people can refer back to would be of greater help. Perhaps a print out to each new member would be of more use? It's only the cost of a stamp.
    Last edited by Knit_Wits_Vintage; 31st October 2013 at 03:39 PM.

Thread Information