eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the hot sellers list relevant?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Is the hot sellers list relevant?

Seeing as it is dominated by stamp sellers.

9 sellers out of 18 sell mainly stamps.

The rest with only 1 exception sell small pennies type items such as cards, stickers, postcards and DVD's.

IMHO the only relevant seller in the list who really deserves that spot is Kreative bargaiins.

I would like ebid to provide some decent search options so that we can get identify the really good sellers; both in terms of items and selling practices.

Unsuccessful sellers could then compete and or learn better marketing skills.

My view at the moment is that most sales on ebid must be stamps, stickers or postcards.

Not very inviting for most of us.

Default Re: Is the hot sellers list relevant?

I think the that the way it works is on quantity sold. Recently I have had a few excellent days and sold larger quantities. Maybe if 50% of the list consisted of sellers with a high quantity and 50% with sellers with a high value of items sold it would show a few different results.

Another way of getting variety could be by showing the Hot Sellers in each category, even better if there was a dropdown so that we could select the category.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I think the that the way it works is on quantity sold. Recently I have had a few excellent days and sold larger quantities. Maybe if 50% of the list consisted of sellers with a high quantity and 50% with sellers with a high value of items sold it would show a few different results.

Another way of getting variety could be by showing the Hot Sellers in each category, even better if there was a dropdown so that we could select the category.
    Maybe we should drop the "hot seller's" as in the person's and have a hot sellers as in "Hot Products" with a good cross section and illustration of sold listings.

I think many sellers here could plan and build on such information.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    Maybe we should drop the "hot seller's" as in the person's and have a hot sellers as in "Hot Products" with a good cross section and illustration of sold listings.

I think many sellers here could plan and build on such information.
    There is the popular products that does that, though a popular product that is featured might only have sold one item in a year of listing.

I still think the Hot Sellers can supply the information you are after, it is just that as you say it is generally populated by stamp and postcard sellers. While there is nothing wrong with that and it is great that they are getting the sales it does mean that for example a new seller of baby items will find it difficult to see who sells successfully in that category as the people with the most items listed are not necessarily the most successful sellers. Maybe they could make it so that when you visit the stores or search a particular category you could see the hot sellers for that particular category.

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14480)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with Kreativebargains comment-I think it would be better to filter the 'Hot sellers' by category, maybe feature it when a buyer does a search for a particular item or category rather than overall number of sales on the site as a whole. IMHO, this would be a fairer system-though I don't mind featuring on the 'Hot Sellers' list due to my volume of sales, it does seem a little unfair that the vast majority of featured sellers are from only a few categories.
    I don't know how easy/hard this would be to implement for Gazza and the team, but it could generate more interest in the wider scope of the site- its not in any ones interest for eBid to be known as a good site for just a few categories.

All the best
    John

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question is what is the first thing buyers do (especially a new buyer) I doubt very much if they look at hot sellers i suspect the first thing they do is use the search facility or click on stores.

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Question is what is the first thing buyers do (especially a new buyer) I doubt very much if they look at hot sellers i suspect the first thing they do is use the search facility or click on stores.
    For new sellers that will almost certainly be the case, but I am getting a higher proportion of repeat buyers and hopefully eBid as a whole will get more people who make it a venue that they go to either to browse or make a specific purchase, and that could make these links more and more relevant and important for sellers.

To play Devil’s advocate politely and to argue from the opposite point of view in the interests of seeing all sides of the situation………….

It is not the fault of stamp and postcard sellers that sellers of other items do not feature so prominently in the hot sellers list so why deny successful stamp and postcard sellers their small moment of publicity when they have obviously done their bit for this e-commerce site by getting visitors in and buying?

If you look at the numbers of live listings of the hot sellers, they have all put in an immense amount of effort to support this site.

Of the present 18 hot sellers:
    • 6 have between 2,500 and 5,000 live listings,
    • 5 have between 5,000 and 10,000 live listings,
    • 1 has between 10,000 to 15,000 live listings,
    • 4 have between 15,000 and 20,000 live listings.

I am sure that scanning stamps and postcards by those sellers with high numbers of listings is very time consuming so credit has been given for effort where credit is due.

No wonder these sellers are not seen posting to the Forum – they are too busy listing to have the time!

I have not put in nearly as much effort so do not feel it is my place to suggest that they be bumped off the hot sellers list – they have all walked the talk in a way that I have not done.

If this site does get recognised as a good place to buy stamps and postcards, then hopefully it will gain visitor traffic traction from this and visitors will start to buy from other categories as well.

I think we should salute these hot sellers and recognise their contribution to eBid.

Forum Lurker
    View MosPostcards's Feedback (+16495)
    All-About MosPostcards
    View MosPostcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

westlondoncarparts I could not have said this better myself. I very rarely make comments because I am listing etc. I also agree with a previous post idea. I like the idea of having a separate 'hot list' for the various categories so people can see all manner of sellers
    Mo

I totally understand the work that stamp, postcard and comic sellers put in and I do not mind in the slightest that effort being recognised. I do however think that it would improve the site for a casual browser if there were more categories represented, it might also make them more likely to return if they can see a wider variety of goods available. From a personal point of view it is great when I do appear on the list but I would happily have others doing better as long as I am still making good sales myself as that would show that the site was making inroads into becoming a major contender as far as sales are concerned.

On a similar subject I would also like to see the closing listings displayed a few hours before they close rather than them have 'closed' which might prevent people clicking on them, in addition I would like only listings with an image included to feature as when there is no image it makes the site look unprofessional.

Thread Information