eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Have An Frustrated Buyer Re Canadian Postage!

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: I Have An Frustrated Buyer Re Canadian Postage!

Quote Originally Posted by cajo712 View Post
    Please don't stop shipping to Canada. If you ship using USPS we have no problems what so ever. Very rarely are we charged extra taxes.

UPS is the problem. I don't know what their minimum extra fee is but $35. is quite common for them. I absolutely refuse to buy anything that is sent via UPS. Items shipped using Pitney Bowes brings with it the same high fees.

USPS passes the items over to Canada Post and we get the package put in our mailbox. We dread seeing that brown UPS uniform at the door - package in one hand, other hand out for money.
    Now IMHO that's just awful. I get plenty of stuff sent UPS, or used to back in the day, (books mostly and heavier items), and no one ever asks for extra money. They should be ashamed of themselves for messing with our Canadian neighbors.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View mcc1146's Feedback (+226)
    All-About mcc1146
    View mcc1146's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cajo712 View Post
    Please don't stop shipping to Canada. If you ship using USPS we have no problems what so ever. Very rarely are we charged extra taxes.

UPS is the problem. I don't know what their minimum extra fee is but $35. is quite common for them. I absolutely refuse to buy anything that is sent via UPS. Items shipped using Pitney Bowes brings with it the same high fees.

USPS passes the items over to Canada Post and we get the package put in our mailbox. We dread seeing that brown UPS uniform at the door - package in one hand, other hand out for money.
    So I gather that many sellers, including mega size companies might also send items UPS without thinking about broker fees???? You stated that you are selective- that's good.

However, do you sense that these mega stores also cause a fellow country-person a fee? Or, have they found a way around it or get special breaks (i.e., some type of favored shipper status???)

I only ask because I would think everyone would use USPS and your post. Is the $200 or less correct and no extra fees for you?
    Last edited by mcc1146; 7th March 2014 at 12:12 AM.

View cajo712's Feedback (+566)
    All-About cajo712
    View cajo712's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is my understanding of it. Any Canucks out there please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The $200 exemption comes into play if a Canadian has been visiting in the USA for 24 to 48 hours we can bring back $200 worth of goods. If we are out of the country longer than 48 hours our limit is $800.

Gifts sent to us are exempt from duties and taxes if it is worth less than $60, but it is supposed to have a card or notice in the package saying that it is a gift.

We do not have to pay duty on most items that are manufactured in USA or Mexico.

We are supposed to pay the Goods and Services Tax and HST for the province that we live in. Canada Post is supposed to charge us $9.95 handling fee if the item has duty or taxes due on it. If the item is duty free and tax exempt there are no extra charges.

That is how the system is supposed to work.

That is not how it does work though. Very few packages that areshipped through the regular mail system (non-courier) are selected and checked to see if taxes and/or duty are due. I don't know if this is because they are super busy or super lazy. In 15 yrs of buying online I have had one package assessed. We are prepared to pay the $9.95 + tax (12% in my province) if required, and we smile and quietly thank the lax system when we don't have to pay.

I do not buy online from the large companies so I don't know how they work the shipping. A lot of larger companies here have business accounts with the couriers, so they probably do get a discount, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Couriers are great for within the country. They are fast and trackable. I use Fedex to send kids gifts to the next province. It's cheaper and faster than Canada Post. It's when they cross the border that the extra fees come into play.

View mcc1146's Feedback (+226)
    All-About mcc1146
    View mcc1146's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you Cajo for your reply.

Very interesting.

So It sounds like I would not trigger a (possible) tax for you- if my sold item is US made (the NAFTA exemption), and has a value of less than $9.00 CAD / $8.20 US. declared.
    Gift exemption is N/A..

Then, other than Mexico, other countries would trigger a duty if the item shipped has a declared value around $9.00 CAD.

Canadian Customs Duties

Because of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadians do not have to pay duty on most American and Mexican manufactured items. But be careful. Just because you buy an item from a U.S. store does not mean it was made in the United States. It's quite possible it was imported into the United States first and, if so, you may be charged duty when it comes into Canada. So check before you buy and if possible get something in writing from the online store in case the Canada Customs people decide to be particular.

Duties on goods vary widely, depending on the product and the country in which it was manufactured. In general, on goods ordered from a foreign retailer there is no assessment unless Canada Customs can collect at least $1.00 in duties and taxes.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by mcc1146; 7th March 2014 at 03:21 AM.

Thread Information