Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most common newbie error

In A Butterfly House, Essex, United Kingdom
    View emmily121's Feedback (+310)
    All-About emmily121
    View emmily121's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default What is the most common newbie error

Hi, just wondered what the most common newbie error was when listing items for sale on ebid?

Also, is it safe to use the same ID for posting here and selling, or should I get a posting ID?

Edit to add - Whooo...I can see far too much personal info, can everyone see that, or just me?
    Last edited by emmily121; 30th April 2014 at 12:47 AM.

Default Re: What is the most common newbie error

Quote Originally Posted by emmily121 View Post
    Hi, just wondered what the most common newbie error was when listing items for sale on ebid?

Also, is it safe to use the same ID for posting here and selling, or should I get a posting ID?

Edit to add - Whooo...I can see far too much personal info, can everyone see that, or just me?
    I dont think a posting ID is necessary like it is over on the darkside there seems to be less "throat cutting" here. I am not sure what you mean regarding personal info. can you give an example obviously I dont mean give us your personal info but could you say what kind of things are bothering you (ie is it your address showing?)

Quote Originally Posted by bringinitback4less View Post
    I dont think a posting ID is necessary like it is over on the darkside there seems to be less "throat cutting" here. I am not sure what you mean regarding personal info. can you give an example obviously I dont mean give us your personal info but could you say what kind of things are bothering you (ie is it your address showing?)
    When I poke around your name I only see basic things like recent activity, city and country, link to your about me, friends etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emmily121 View Post

Welcome to eBid emmily. You are only allowed one account on eBid unless there is a very good reason for getting another and then you need to ask permission. We don't need to hide behind other names over here as this is a nice forum !

I would say that keeping everything on 'Run until Sold' is a common thing that lots of newbies do. It isn't an error as such but it doesn't do you any favours as it keeps your listings at the bottom of all the lists. Much better to do 10 auto reposts. Also lack of thumbnail photos doesn't help either as not many buyers will bother to click on the listing without one. Make sure you put the word 'EXEMPT' in the bar code box if your item doesn't have a code or ISBN number to get your things onto Google shopping.

What personal info are you talking about ? It just shows your location and when you joined like everybody else.

All-About emmily121
    Forum Posts

Thanks for your replies.
    The darkside, is that what ebay's called here, very apt. :-) It's not a matter of hiding behind a posting ID on the darkside, it's a matter of self preservation.
    The personal details is my town and county on display on a public forum and there doesn't seem to be anyway to edit it, so just my county is shown, not happy about that.
    I've already had a friend request, tony if you're reading this I don't want to appear rude by denying your request, I am however going to ignore it, I'm just finding my feet here.
    Thanks very much for the very useful tips Cornishmaid, I've made a note of them.

I dont have a problem with anyone knowing where I live, I am the original 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells', and proud of it. Your full name isn't displayed, so no one is going to come knocking on your door if you upset them on the forum, and as already said, eBid is a much friendlier place than the darkside (aka The Other Site - TOS for short - also very apt)

Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
    View tripledragon's Feedback (+12)
    All-About tripledragon
    View tripledragon's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't think there is anything sinister about Tony, he sent me a friend request when I started posting on these forums, I think it is just his way of welcoming new people.

I think the trouble is, people are coming over here who are used to the 'other side' forums and have maybe heard stories of auction wrecking and such. I really don't think it happens here.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

I believe the most common mistake is starting a listing as an auction with a low starting price. More often than not only one bid will be placed and seller is stuck losing money on the deal or not shipping item. Either way there will be disappointment involved with buyer or seller.
    Since it has been said most successful seller's sales come from Google Shopping Search, buyers will go directly to your listing whether it's Run Until Sold or not.
    Although internal searches and once a visitor strays away from the original seller's listings Run Until Sold will put you at the bottom of a search.
    Depending on what you're listing folks may never see the listings.
    Last edited by adruml; 30th April 2014 at 12:20 PM.

All-About emmily121
    Forum Posts

Thanks for further replies. :-)
    I didn't say Tony or his request was sinister, so please don't put words in my mouth. I'm interested in finding out about selling on ebid, not personalities.
    Thanks for your tips adruml. I have listed a few items at the same price as I list on TOS it may appear low, I'll be happy if they sell either here or there for their start price. I'm not well off myself, so I list at a price I would pay, that seems to work for me.:-)
    I've listed without a thumb nail photo for now, knowing that puts me at a disadvantage, I'm just trying out what it's like to list before doing it seriously, possibly with a store.

Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
    View tripledragon's Feedback (+12)
    All-About tripledragon
    View tripledragon's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm sorry, my intention was not to put words in your mouth or suggest that you found Tony sinister, I was merely trying to reassure you that his intentions were probably quite honourable and that he hadn't singled you out with a friend request, but rather is the sort of chap likely to welcome people to the forums that way.

The ebid forums do tend to be a bit more friendly and personal than the eBay forums and I think that is a good thing, it is up to each member to decide how friendly or involved that they want to be. In fairness to Tony, his friend request made me feel welcome, I do not correspond with him and he has not bothered me, think of his friend request like a kudo's on an eBay post, he is not asking for correspondence, just offering you a welcome.

This is not eBay, and who would want it to be like eBay, I'd rather work to promote my listings in an honest and friendly space, eBay seems to nurture a feeling of mistrust and in doing so attract the attention of those dishonest types, okay so you'll get better exposure, but exposure of the wrong kind.

The only reason I bought it up was because I didn't want the next new ebidder to come along, read your post and think, oh, there are strange people called Tony here who are going to stalk me, then tremor in fear when they realise that someone called Tony has already offered a friend request. People are leaving eBay with mistrust in their eyes, and it is going to take some time to shake it off.

Hope I haven't offended, and wish you good luck with your sales.

All the best

Anne

Thread Information