Thread: Views or not???

Forum Lurker
    Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View emdiecast's Feedback (+28)
    All-About emdiecast
    View emdiecast's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Views or not???

I put a DVD up for sale. It has 6 days to run on a 10 day insertion. Yesterday it was showing as being viewed twice, today it is showing as being viewed once. From that am I to assume that eBid make up these figures to give people hope that there items might sell but the computer has 'glitched' and taken a view off rather than adding one.
    Last edited by emdiecast; 26th June 2014 at 11:45 AM.

Default Re: Views or not???

Is there a question in there or did you just want to inform us that you leap to conclusions before seeking facts?

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emdiecast View Post
    I put a DVD up for sale. It has 6 days to run on a 10 day insertion. Yesterday it was showing as being viewed twice, today it is showing as being viewed once. From that am I to assume that eBid make up these figures to give people hope that there items might sell but the computer has 'glitched' and taken a view off rather than adding one.
    To answer your question...I don't believe eBid does this, instead it appears to be a glitch in the system.

Forum Lurker
    All-About emdiecast
    Forum Posts

I have just had another look at the listing and it is now showing 0 views.

I have noticed this too over the past couple of days.

I put a jacket up a couple of days ago with a scheduled start time. Before the auction started I had 14 views. As a new member I assumed it to be a feature ( agood one) that eBid has that allows viewing before the auction although I hadn't actually noted that on any of the listings I have looked at.

Yesterday it went down to 12, this morning up to 13, then down again a few moments ago. Know it's a bit trivial and picky but it did prompt me to come in here to query because I am now confused as to what I am looking at.

Just not logical that there is 14 actual clicks on an item that can then yoyo up or down. Doesn't make sense either that a glitch could create this it would reflect a steady pre/post glitch state surely.

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have a theory has to why this may happen

When you look at your own listing the view count goes up.
    When a spider or bot crawls your listing the view count goes up

My theory is that periodically ebid clear these spurious views, so the view count goes down.

It is only my theory, has I do not take account of the views, but I use my stats to see a truer picture, My stats disregaurd my views immediatly and the bots are easy to spot from the rest.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    I have a theory has to why this may happen

When you look at your own listing the view count goes up.
    When a spider or bot crawls your listing the view count goes up

My theory is that periodically ebid clear these spurious views, so the view count goes down.

It is only my theory, has I do not take account of the views, but I use my stats to see a truer picture, My stats disregaurd my views immediatly and the bots are easy to spot from the rest.
    Logical theory, makes sense.

Forum Lurker
    All-About emdiecast
    Forum Posts

I don't look at my listings. When I log in it automatically takes me to 'My Listings' so I have all of them in a long list. All my listing, bar 1, are RUS so the DVD which isn't RUS is always at the top, hence the views on the DVD are one of the first things I see.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    Regarding your stats, what program do you use?

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emdiecast View Post
    I don't look at my listings. When I log in it automatically takes me to 'My Listings' so I have all of them in a long list. All my listing, bar 1, are RUS so the DVD which isn't RUS is always at the top, hence the views on the DVD are one of the first things I see.

Regarding your stats, what program do you use?
    When you go to my ebid > my listings which is where I think you mean above, that does not count as a view, it would count if you clicked the item title to look at the item fully.

I use statcounter (i find it easier to understand than Google analytics), but I do also have google analytics on my listings also.
    Last edited by sherlock07; 26th June 2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added more info

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

I'm afraid I don't use any analysis tools other than my own little spreadsheet. I'm just a private seller so not really a need for that but I do have a lot of stuff collected that I need to sell. Moving from one site to this, hence the spreadsheet.

Anyhow getting back to the view counter. I initially thought I was increasing my own views so I tested a couple by accessing as I thought this might be a way of making my listings look as if they were generating a bit of interest.

I'm afraid that didn't make any difference.

Thebot theory however is quite plausible as I had noted on the other site that there was an AVE 3 views on new listings which I put down to system interrogation of new lists. So that may just be the answer to some of the 'yoyo effect' but for my listing I still don't see a bot returning 14 times (unless it likes tartan).

Thread Information