eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Job application fail

Forum Lurker
    All-About Merking
    View Merking's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Job application fail

I work at home but applied to my local supermarket for part time work for a little extra cash. The store is on my road so I thought it would be convenient. I also have years of experience in supermarket retail so thought I had a very good chance of a successful application. I applied online and gave my credentials, then did the timed IQ test. I knew I scored 100% correctly as I've done IQ tests online before and always score extremely high. They didn't ask for a CV.

So the next day, I got an email from them which stated, "We regret to inform that you have not met the required criteria on this occasion and we are unable to progress your application further."

I found it odd that they didn't even interview me and the position ends on the 15th. The position is still being advertised on their site. Out of curiosity, I replied to the email with this,

"Thanks for the reply. You stated that I didn't meet the criteria on this occasion.

Would that only be for the particular position I applied for or in general? I have over 11 years of experience working in retail and a degree, so I was wondering which criteria was required of me for future reference.

Kind regards,"

They replied the next day with,

"Hi,

Thank you for your interest in a position with us. Unfortunately due to a high number of applicants, we are unable to provide feedback.

We wish you the best of look when applying for any future vacancies.

Regards"

Last week, I walked past the store and saw staff members sitting on the kerb near the entrance (in uniform) smoking and chatting. I'm still puzzled as to why I was rejected considering my experience. I also have good references

[Edit] To add, I'm currently in part time employment elsewhere so I haven't been out of work either.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Job application fail

Quote Originally Posted by Merking;1618399[FONT=Verdana
    [/FONT]
    They replied the next day with,

"Hi,

Thank you for your interest in a position with us. Unfortunately due to a high number of applicants, we are unable to provide feedback.

We wish you the best of look when applying for any future vacancies.

Regards"

Ahhh, and therein probably lies the answer ~ you didn't look right.

The reality is probably more like you are better experienced and qualified than the Manager you would have been reponsible to, who felt threatened by your application so rejected you....

Forum Lurker
    All-About Merking
    View Merking's Listings
    Forum Posts

That typo was actually in their reply. I know a manager for another well known chain so I'll run this by him this week. You would have thought supermarkets would be seeking experienced staff to run daily operations. I can't think of anything that might have stopped me even getting a least an interview

I have taught employability. And als you are probably too qualified. Apart from any threat that the managers at the store might have felt it could also be that they would think that with your qualifications you would find something better and leave. At times in these situations it is sometimes better to actually downplay your qualifications to what they are actually looking for. Maybe if you had said you can sit on a kerb, smoke and chat you would have been successful.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Merking View Post
    That typo was actually in their reply. I know a manager for another well known chain so I'll run this by him this week. You would have thought supermarkets would be seeking experienced staff to run daily operations. I can't think of anything that might have stopped me even getting a least an interview
    Again, the Directors would want experienced staff to run daily operations ~ but a lesser experienced/qualified Manager wouldn't want to risk you usurping their position.
    The Manager would have dealt with the applications, not the Directors.

Simples!

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I have taught employability. And als you are probably too qualified. Apart from any threat that the managers at the store might have felt it could also be that they would think that with your qualifications you would find something better and leave. At times in these situations it is sometimes better to actually downplay your qualifications to what they are actually looking for. Maybe if you had said you can sit on a kerb, smoke and chat you would have been successful.
    Absolutely right, Kreative. Many years ago, my son left university with a good Computer Science degree. He applied for hundreds of jobs and, out of desperation, was willing to take employment offering a salary far below that which could be expected by a graduate. He was told on several occasions that he was 'over-employed', the worry being that he would find a better job and leave.

There is also the dreaded application sift: the Civil Service are particularly fond of this one and many a suitable applicant is automatically denied an interview.

So, although you have my utmost sympathy, Merking, you are not alone in your situation

Good luck on the job hunt.

Years ago for local factory / repetative type jobs there was an Intelligence Test
    - the ones who 'passed' got the job

..umm ... actually .. due to the high level of boredom involved ... 'thems what failed' got the job
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sounds like good old ageism at work. It's a real problem, though I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind wouldn't rather hire someone with experience than a dumb noob fresh out of school. I know which applicant I'd hire.

Good luck and best wishes for many sales to all,

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Is a roadside curb actually something else in your world?
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

roadside kerb
    when you say sidewalk,we say pavement

Thread Information