Just passing this on (as it was passed to me) and I am finding it really helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com (its free)

There will be many similar sites... with this it allows you to put in your weight, height, goal weight and a few other things.
(I struggled to put in goal weight until I tabbed though rather than move the mouse from section to section)

It has a section for each item you consume so you can log the calories and it keeping it all added up for you. For me I set
it up with a very very low commitment to exercise (I knew for me I had to be realistic) and so it calculated the calories per day to achieve what I want.

It has a section to input other exercise and then it calculates the calories used and adds that to your daily allowance. (Again something I like)

Similar to many, my weight has crept up due to many reasons and I tried many times last year to find the motivation and the right frame of mind to cut back but failed.
As with all, if you are not honest with yourself and the entries there will be no achievement. So far I am in the right frame of mind (it will probably go out of the window at horrific anniversary time) but it has surprised me how many calories in some things and so far I have not achieved as I would like but I do feel it has allowed me to stay away better from some things.

So all I need now is lots of orders for those 3 hour round trips to the post office a couple of times a week as not needing to do that had added to the weight gain!

Tonight is pizza night so see how that goes!

There are lots of other aspects to it but so far that is all I have been able to learn (long story) others should be able to fly though it

For those on this path this year - Good Luck hope it is your year