eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Improvements to lists, navigation, and computations

Forum Newbie
    View jbsales222's Feedback (+217)
    All-About jbsales222
    View jbsales222's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Improvements to lists, navigation, and computations

There are a few things I would like to see added to lists, navigation, and shipping computations:

1) "Listing's I'm Running": Most important on this list is to show the shipping fee, "free", or "calc". This way, when the USPS increases their rates, it would be much easier to determine which listing need to be updated with the current rate. As it is now, you have to open every stinking listing to see which ones may need to be updated. Without having that, it took me several weeks to review and update all my listings.

2) For a potential buyers: When looking at a list of items, I would like that list to show the shipping rate for their location (assuming they are logged in) rather than "calculate" as I believe many potential buyers skip over the listing that show "calculate". And, many others get sticker shock when they actually enter listing details to discover what shipping is which skews the view count with those who aren't really interested in the item. Lack of this feature forces me to use "flat-same cost to all" rather than "Compute" which then results in needing to edit items every time USPS increases their pricing just to make it easier for potential buyers to quickly determine the cost of an item. And, for rates that aren't zone dependent, this could be done once at time of item entry/change and again once after any USPS price change to have a price to show without doing commutations every time for these items.

3) During editing an item, I would like to see addition of a "Cancel changes" box which returns you to the previous window.

4) After editing an item, I would like to see a "make another change to this item's listing" click spot. As it is now, I have to go back to long list of my items and search for it to make a change that I realize I missed after saving my changes.

5) After editing an item, I would like to see a click spot which returns you to the item page you were on before you edited the box. As it is now, you have to return to full list then enter search parameter to find that list of items again (I just did that a ton of times last night to correct about 90 listings).

6) When using "List Similar", I would like an optional setting to my profile that would tell the editing to drop photo from any item to force me to choose correct photo for the new item.

7) When using "List Similar, I would like an optional setting to my profile that would tell editing to set item count to 1. There have been many times when I've used "List Similar" but overlooked changing the item count. I'm much rather have it at 1 rather than risk selling more than I have.

8) Shipping computation: I would like the ability to add a fraction of an ounce. Having 1 oz increments makes it impossible for the freight rate computation to compute the correct price for light weight items.

9) Ability to enter a larger quantity such as having 1726 in stock.

10) Shipping Computations: Add USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate boxes to list of available packaging options. For smaller heavy items, these are great. I've used the Regional Rate A box to ship many items but can't charge correct postage for it. For instance, my last shipping in one was a 4 pound item with shipping rate similar to that for a 2 pound item when in this box.

11) Shipping Computations: Addition of feature to take size of an item into account when computing shipping. While many larger items may be able to be shipped together in a single box at a lower cost than separate boxes, packing them together could require a larger box which would in turn invoke USPS "Large Package" pricing fee which is not currently taken into account.

12) The ability to select and show more than one notice for an item, group of items, or store. Plus ability to indicate whether this should be shown before or after description of the item. And, allow more characters in that notice than is possible with current notices which only allow one to be shown with not enough characters allowed in it to say what you need. As it is now, this info must be typed into description of every item it's applicable to which then requires editing each of those items any time you want to change this wording.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Improvements to lists, navigation, and computations

If I understand correctly, in #1 you need the ability to find all the listings of a similar value, for editing when the postal charges increase?

If so a work-around is to allocate each postal setting a code number and include that at the end of the listing. Thenif you use the bulk edit mode you should only have to enter the details once.

Also having a smaller number of available items might work in your favour. If someone sees that you only have a small number, they are more likely to buy so that they do not miss out. Whereas if they see thousands in stock they may hang back as there is little danger of missy t.out.
    Last edited by lofty100e; 28th June 2015 at 02:41 AM. Reason: additional comment
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi jbsales222,

Many thanks for insightful input, these are the type of suggestion we really appreciate, we aim to smooth any repeated process as much as we can and we will look at implementing some of your ideas as soon as the new site is launched.

The regional USPS boxes have been added in our staging area and will be live on launch.

Thanks,
    Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Hi jbsales222,

Many thanks for insightful input, these are the type of suggestion we really appreciate, we aim to smooth any repeated process as much as we can and we will look at implementing some of your ideas as soon as the new site is launched.

The regional USPS boxes have been added in our staging area and will be live on launch.

Thanks,
    Gazza

Thank you so much! This is great news.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

One other feature that I mentioned to your support last night is the ability to a enter fractional weight. For instance, 1.1oz for shipping 1 and 0.1 oz for each additional item added. This way, someone purchasing 20 pieces end up with computation of 2.1 oz for his package rather than either 2 oz or 4oz. This seems minor for domestic mail but results in a major price difference on international mail.

On a related feature, I would also like to see a box on the "I can ship more than one in a box" line to specify the maximum number of pieces that will fit in the box. And, another set to say use a large size box if still under a larger quantity that seller fills in too. I say this after a sale a few months back where buyer selected 8 pieces when all that will fit in a regular size box are 2-3. Fortunately, that buyer never paid for his order meaning it got cancelled as opposed to me loosing a substantial amount of $$ on shipping had he paid for it.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

Another that just came to mind. When you list an item with "FREE SHIPPING" to help entice domestic buyers to purchase it, it is necessary to price that item high enough to cover shipping fees in addition to item cost and selling fees.

However, when doing this, there is currently no mechanism for removal of this included domestic shipping fee from the shipping fee for an international buyer.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    If I understand correctly, in #1 you need the ability to find all the listings of a similar value, for editing when the postal charges increase?

If so a work-around is to allocate each postal setting a code number and include that at the end of the listing. Thenif you use the bulk edit mode you should only have to enter the details once.

Also having a smaller number of available items might work in your favour. If someone sees that you only have a small number, they are more likely to buy so that they do not miss out. Whereas if they see thousands in stock they may hang back as there is little danger of missy t.out.
    Actually, it's not that simple. Any time there is a postal rate change, I need to identify which listings have "Flat" or "Free Shipping" and preferably have a means of easily skipping over those that use Calculate. After last month's rate increase, it took me 3-4 very long days to review all my listings to determine which needed their shipping rate or asking price updated and which used calculate.

Also, when I'm reviewing listings to see which I might want to adjust the asking price on, it would be nice to know what shipping fee is currently set on it.

There is a lot of blank space on the "Listings I'm Running" list so adding some of this info to it should be fairly quick and easy even if its necessary to tweak some of the spacing between items shown on it and their corresponding headers.

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jbsales222 View Post
    Actually, it's not that simple. Any time there is a postal rate change, I need to identify which listings have "Flat" or "Free Shipping" and preferably have a means of easily skipping over those that use Calculate. After last month's rate increase, it took me 3-4 very long days to review all my listings to determine which needed their shipping rate or asking price updated and which used calculate.

Also, when I'm reviewing listings to see which I might want to adjust the asking price on, it would be nice to know what shipping fee is currently set on it.

There is a lot of blank space on the "Listings I'm Running" list so adding some of this info to it should be fairly quick and easy even if its necessary to tweak some of the spacing between items shown on it and their corresponding headers.
    Not sure how USPS pricing works, but could you not use shipping codes? then you only have to edit the code once and all listings that use the code will be changed.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    Not sure how USPS pricing works, but could you not use shipping codes? then you only have to edit the code once and all listings that use the code will be changed.
    Sherlock is correct, just create a shipping code for calculated shipping & one for flat rate shipping. Then when you need to change it you would just edit the shipping code & it will update all listings using that code.

Just go to my ebid then my defaults then my shipping defaults & create your shipping codes there.

Forum Newbie
    All-About jbsales222
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    Sherlock is correct, just create a shipping code for calculated shipping & one for flat rate shipping. Then when you need to change it you would just edit the shipping code & it will update all listings using that code.

Just go to my ebid then my defaults then my shipping defaults & create your shipping codes there.
    I just learned about shipping codes today. At the time I wrote item #1, I wasn't aware they existed. It looks like they will be helpful but not a complete solution. I've started changing one set of my listings to use them.

In doing so, I've discovered a few limitations:

a) Once a shipping code is created, there does not seem to be any way to rename it.

b) On the "My General Defaults" "Enable Multi-item Checkout (allow buyers to pay me for multiple items together)" section, it has Yes, No, and "Only listings with a shipping code". However, there does not seem to be any way to group shipping codes to apply that group to one set of item listings and a different set of codes to another set of listings and have them mutually exclusive.

c) My Item listing doesn't show which shipping code is selected so there's no way to scan down it to see if any item has wrong shipping code selected.

On the plus side, in changing those listings to use shipping codes, I discovered a couple of them had a quantity >1 when I only have 1 available. OOPS! I obviously missed changing the quantity on those after using "List Similar". Fortunately I found those before someone purchased more than I have.
    Last edited by jbsales222; 4th July 2015 at 02:32 AM.

Thread Information