Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Problem with September newsletter competition.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Problem with September newsletter competition.

Would like to enter this but it seems I have the choice of giving the right answer and not being able to win or giving eBid's wrong answer and having a chance of winning.

eBid maintains that Google Shopping requires at least one online payment method be available for items submitted, but Google's Merchant Centre states:

Your websites must provide a way for any user in the target country to purchase the product through an online payment service, directly from the website or through other alternative payment methods such as cash on delivery, invoicing or payment upon collection.
    This, as written, does NOT require an online payment method, only that there is some means to pay - whatever means that may be.

Despite previous requests to eBid to explain why their stance (repeated in the newsletter) is at variance with Google's policy I have never had the courtesy of a response.
    Last edited by astral276; 2nd October 2016 at 04:46 PM.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Problem with September newsletter competition.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Would like to enter this but it seems I have the choice of giving the right answer and not being able to win or giving eBid's wrong answer and having a chance of winning.

eBid maintains that Google Shopping requires at least one online payment method be available for items submitted, but Google's Merchant Centre states:

Your websites must provide a way for any user in the target country to purchase the product through an online payment service, directly from the website or through other alternative payment methods such as cash on delivery, invoicing or payment upon collection.

This, as written, does NOT require an online payment method, only that there is some means to pay - whatever means that may be.

Despite previous requests to eBid to explain why their stance (repeated in the newsletter) is at variance with Google's policy I have never had the courtesy of a response.
    I've given up trying to win the eBid competitions but I cannot see the problem. Google's Merchant Centre DOES state this as shown above highlighted in red.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

........ purchase the product through an online payment service, directly from the website OR through other alternative payment methods such as cash on delivery, invoicing or payment upon collection....

I guess I read it like Astral does.........the comma after the words in red make the following phrases a list of alternatives.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

The comma is to mark a breath pause. Without it, IMO, the sentence would be too long.

Edit - this thread is just being pedantic.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    ........ purchase the product through an online payment service, directly from the website OR through other alternative payment methods such as cash on delivery, invoicing or payment upon collection....

I guess I read it like Astral does.........the comma after the words in red make the following phrases a list of alternatives.
    Exactly, the commas are implicit ORs. It doesn't make sense read any other way.

If eBid are refusing to submit a seller's items due to eBid misinterpreting Google policy (which wouldn't be the first time - you may recall the stripping of all capital letters apart from the first from titles) then it is an issue.

Of course eBid can make their own policy but they shouldn't then blame it on Google.
    Last edited by astral276; 3rd October 2016 at 09:37 PM.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The comma is to mark a breath pause. Without it, IMO, the sentence would be too long.

Edit - this thread is just being pedantic.

Actually, I believe in this case the comma does indicate that the phrase is part of a list and not a pause for the reader to take a breath. Of course, being a yank I haven't had the opportunity to learn the Queen's English so it may just be one of those differences between our common languages.

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post

Indeed, how could payment upon collection possibly be done via an online payment service!

Of course Astral is right. And this is not a pedantic thread, it's about eBid failing to interpret Google's rules to our (and the site's) benefit.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information