eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JUST joined up...wonder if I can sell here as I did on Ebay

Forum Newbie
    All-About Dreambo
    View Dreambo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default JUST joined up...wonder if I can sell here as I did on Ebay

For $70..not bad...but I presume 2% goes to eBid...would you say electronic sales, DVD sales etc, do well here? Scsale of 1-10...

View Policequilts's Feedback (+996)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: JUST joined up...wonder if I can sell here as I did on Ebay

Yes, $70 is great and 2% is a good choice. (there is free listings (no fees) but no pictures are shown in the marketplace and it looks tacky. 2% is worth it.

You also can have up to 5 stores so if you want to clean out the house or (your neighbors. . just kidding) you could set up another store for those items.

The USA side is slow. So many that start give up and expect to be like the bigger sites with lots of traffic.

Make sure you read the FAQ's for requirements for google search.
    You do have to promote yourself. If you tweet - Tweet. If you do Pinterest - Pin. If you Facebook and so on.

I've had months where I've sold more here than the other place. As was said, you do have to let people know that you sell stuff here (links in your online signatures, websites, etc.) as the US traffic is less. For US sales, I'd say auctions are much slower here. Better to put up your items as Buy Now running 7-15 days and using the auto-repost feature to keep them relisted. I'm pleasantly satisfied with the response here, and especially with the low fees, lack of ever-changing rules and fees, prompt response from support without waiting on the telephone endlessly.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreambo View Post
    For $70..not bad...but I presume 2% goes to eBid...would you say electronic sales, DVD sales etc, do well here? Scsale of 1-10...

scale of 1 - 10 :-

Do RUS (Run Until Sold) items get many views: 1

Can items with no Barcode / Brand get uploaded by eBid to Google Shopping: 1

Can new Sellers to eBid do well if they follow eBay thinking: 1

Successful sales if ignorant of how eBid works: 1

can sell here as I did on Ebay - No

Welcome to eBid and the Forum. Get to know the site, ie how it works - follow the advice given and the score could be 10 on all counts and a yes to your question.

View theElench's Feedback (+94)
    All-About theElench
    View theElench's Listings
    Forum Posts

Can I (very politely) say that I think some of your "1"s are a bit pessimistic. It can depend on what you sell and how well populated the category you sell in is. DVD category looks busy with thousands of items. But for anything niche, where categories are often under-populated, there is no reason why RUS listings should score "1" for views. Ebid is ideal for sellers of niche items that can take a while to sell, but they do sell because there are buyers looking for them. (And coming here in increasing numbers)

I used to think that sales of my pre-war glass were reliant on notes in parcels sold on obay. That certainly has not been true for over a year as my sales there have steadily declined.

I don't do any SM, so my buyers are not coming from there either. But I can always find some of my stuff on GS and being old doesn't have any bar-codes. I'm very careful to always put "exempt" in the box but can only assume that my buyers are coming from there so I can't agree with that "1" either.

I do agree with your other two "1"s and your "No" answer. Ebid is different in some fundamental ways. It took me several years to work-out how to break through the eternally re-listed items that block the top of the search results and due to advice here realise that by duplicating listings on both sites it's always the obay version that shows up on GS.

But having done that (and built up my listing numbers) my sales have gone from 5 in 1919, to 26 in 2020 and so far this year, 7.

Although I can see that the advice usually given to new sellers (list loads, use auto re-list not RUS etc.) is valid for crowded, busy categories, it isn't necessarily the only way. In some ways the constant re-listing of unsold items can block sales in niche categories.

Someone, like myself, with a few hundred items to sell, doesn't need shops. Without the incentive of thousands of small items to list and re-list, the Seller+ option doesn't look cost-effective. Platinum Listings can be a better option for smaller scale sellers and which I think should be given better publicity.

Can I also add that recently I've started putting notes in my Ebid parcels. Telling my buyers that I add a couple of new listings each week and that I always advertise them on the "Plug Your Auction" thread. That my views on there have gone from 10 - 20 not too many years ago, to 20 - 30 last year and just last week broke through into the 40's (43) tells me that this year could be better than last.

Overall I'm happy with my sales here, especially as I can see they are now increasing year by year even though I don't have much time to nurture them.
    Last edited by theElench; 21st March 2021 at 05:02 PM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

All-About theElench
    Forum Posts

And having written all that I forgot to welcome @dreambo to ebid and wish you all the best for lots of future sales.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

Not seeing a ton of sales but then I did just import my listings from *bay so they all need fixing basically
    In all honesty I really wish eBid had the same promotion items they had years ago, Not sure why they don't have the tape, polys etc anymore which IMO will only increase the sites traffic but it seems they are happy with the steady pace going on. People want to get away from *bay but have no real options! The new site in the UK ending with Gumm is promoting like hell and seeing a massive increase in traffic, sellers and even being mentioned a lot on popular You Tube Resellers videos.

I did just recently open a second account here to test out one selection of categories, so I will see how both accounts go in the next 6 months but may find myself giving the *gumm site a try if things don't improve here although I really want to have this site as my main I can't ever see it growing without some forms of promotion

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31695)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you have the right formula for making use of ebid's low selling cost you can sell high volumes on ebid. I get lots repeats because I am good value on Ebid. so promotion is not so important to me
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About theElench
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BordersBargains View Post
    Not seeing a ton of sales but then I did just import my listings from *bay so they all need fixing basically
    In all honesty I really wish eBid had the same promotion items they had years ago, Not sure why they don't have the tape, polys etc anymore which IMO will only increase the sites traffic but it seems they are happy with the steady pace going on. People want to get away from *bay but have no real options! The new site in the UK ending with Gumm is promoting like hell and seeing a massive increase in traffic, sellers and even being mentioned a lot on popular You Tube Resellers videos.

I did just recently open a second account here to test out one selection of categories, so I will see how both accounts go in the next 6 months but may find myself giving the *gumm site a try if things don't improve here although I really want to have this site as my main I can't ever see it growing without some forms of promotion
    So why not make this your "Go-to site"? I started here with a handful of listings hoping it would be my alternative to obay. Listed stuff there first, if it didn't sell, put it on here. Used the other site as my advert, every sale there got a note directing the buyer to a growing inventory here.

Now, I think my inventory here is a draw in itself. I list stuff here first and just throw a few listings on obay. If one or two sell (these days a rare occurrence) I re-direct the buyer here where I have over 200 items. If obay gets much worse (and does it ever get any better) I'll switch to the craft and vintage site with exactly the same strategy. List as little as possible on Wall St. owned corporations and divert as much traffic as possible here.

One big reason why traffic is low is that all too often a search leads to "0 results". That won't change while sellers put more stuff elsewhere and the left-overs here.

As you say people WANT to get away from obay. I sold more here than there last year solely because they found my stuff here (and a bit cheaper) rather than there.

My father who spent his life in retail sometimes said to me "If it isn't on the shelf, you're not going to sell it." Ebid doesn't try to restrict your selling on other sites. So put stuff here first so people can find it if they look. Then try other sites if they don't.

Numbers is probably one of the best ideas so it will be a while but I will grow them

I would love to try the re-direct note in a sale on *bay but they are now saying that is a no no or restricted if discovered

I have another account here now which I am building up slowly to test the waters on one set of categories which will only be listed here, so we will see how that goes

What annoys me though is I found this site simply by seeing eBid branded tape which was a long time ago and probably would never be here without it! Almost every person in a reseller group I'm in with 2.1k members many of which being You Tubers had never even heard of this site until I started mentioning it recently, I was surprised that only a few knew about it and out of those few most said the traffic was too low to be an option, some however are on here now. I see the *gumm site mentioned all the time now even on You tubers streams and its all due to one simple thing which is Advertising. The site owners could do a fast limited amount of branded tape, polys etc and the traffic will increase a lot over time. I'm not moaning I simply want the site to be a success and with *bay, *tsy and *mazon raising fees and making bad changes this year is the perfect time to grow

Thread Information