Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'PC tax' could replace BBC licence fee

Quote Originally Posted by cybertrax
    I bought a TV 2nd hand and had to fill in a form for the dealer to pass onto the TV Licensing department. This TV has a tuner inside it, and so by their terms I should have a license for it. However, I would refuse on principle, as I only ever use this TV as a monitor for my Karaoke setup. The manager I spoke to eventually also agreed that I would be excused a license for this TV unit. .
    I must be missing something here.
    In the last five years I've bought 3 TVs for myself - first packed up just before last Christmas & bought third for conservatory. I also went with my father to buy one for himself and bought another as a Christmas present for my wife's aunt.

Not once was I given a form to fill in - Argos, Homebase and Comet.
    w!nking hard at forming a relationship with Mrs. palm and her five lovely daughters.

View jongla's Feedback (+52)
    All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by the-onanist
    I must be missing something here.
    In the last five years I've bought 3 TVs for myself - first packed up just before last Christmas & bought third for conservatory. I also went with my father to buy one for himself and bought another as a Christmas present for my wife's aunt.

Not once was I given a form to fill in - Argos, Homebase and Comet.

In that case they are breaking the law. It changed around a year ago I think; every retailer that sells a TV should take details of the buyer to send off to TV Licensing. Having said that, many retailers do not know of these requirements. I bought my TV from Cash Converters (I'm a tight-wad with money!) and they took my details down for the TV Licensing folks.

Personally, I think that the TV Licensing folks are tryingto cover every eventuality with their numerous small print. Whether it is all enforcable in a court of law is another matter......

- Can I buy your cheese plant off you??!

I can't understand why we still have to pay the tv licence considering the massive changes in broadcasting since the introduction of the BBC, what, 40 years ago! Loads of channels are avaliable through various media and if you want to view you can choose and pay. Besides everyother channel pays it own way, why should we forceably donate to the BBC?. Its the 21st century and time for the BBC to catch up to the real modern world and stop taking advantage of the public with their so called 'funding'.

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/ a site for abolishing the T.V extortion / licence

My wife owns a nursery school which is located in the bottom floor of a three story building. The building is built in a very low point of the town. So without an arial it is impossible to get a picture. After three years of paying the licence fee I told her to ring up and tell them that she couldnt recieve a signal as the building doesnt have an ariel, and they told her that there was no need to pay the fee as there was no visable picture or sound being picked up by the tv.
    And on another point why should you have to pay the licence fee if it is a poor reception. If they are going to sell you a service then they should make sure it works perfectly where ever you live. I'm sure if a private company tried to flog you a poor service, the powers that be would be all over them.
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

When the engineers came round to tune TV's for Channel 5, only 1 house on this block got it, and he had paid £200 for a special boosted aerial. The rest of us were told we would have to wait until a mast was put up nearer to us. It still hasn't happened. Not surprising as Channel 4, ITV and BBC2 were "snowy". The engineer tried to tune in these three channels for us, but he couldn't make them work any better.
    The Licence Fee just gives you the right to tune into the TV channels. It doesn't guarantee any signal reaching your set.
    I object to having to pay as I had to install Sky to get any choice of programmes and a decent picture, and it wasn't free in those days. We never watch any of the terrestrial channels. If you want BBC, pay for it, the same as we had to pay extra for the Film Channels and the Sport Channels.

All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

Had an 'interesting' telephone conversation with TV Licensing people this afternoon. Phoned them up regarding my purchase of a TV for karaoke, just to confirm that I did not need a license.

They now claim that if you watch TV programmes streamed over the internet that you need a license! This means that the BBC is effectively trying to make you pay for browsing the internet - something which I pointed out to them. I have quoted the UK governments own legislation regarding what actually constitutes a TV receiver - the TV licensing folk tried to make out that the government was wrong! I am waiting on paperwork from them which they claim backs up their statement.

I have a TV but have no aerial so I am not paying for a licence as I cannot recieve any programmes. And I don't have a video recorder so I can't watch any tapes of programmes.

I have told them this. If they come round with their little detector vans and sit outside for a few months they will find this out

The only telly I watch is at my OH's and he has a licence

We bought a telly from Tesco a few months ago for his place. We took it straight back when we discovered it didn't have teletext which I need for subtitles. Although my OH paid for the telly I used my Clubcard and I recieved a letter from the licencing people about them having no record of me having a licence blah de blah.
    feebee xx

Taken from the TV Licence website

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.
    feebee xx

All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by feebee65
    Taken from the TV Licence website

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.
    As I pointed out to TV Licensing today, my PC DOES NOT have a broadcast card - I receive streaming television via the internet. (Interesting sideline:- MTV is subscription-only on satellite or cable, yet free streamed over the internet....strange but true)

By the way they are carrying on, everyone who looks at streaming media via the internet should have a TV license. My question would be, what about those streaming video clips available on websites - do you need a TV license to view them? This could have serious consequences for everyone in this country, and I intend to fight this all the way.

I work for an audio visual firm and for each TV we sell we have to fill out a form for our customers and send it off so that the licencing know they have a tv.

On the PC side of things why on earth woudl you want to watch TV on your PC screen unless its a 19 inch or above. It makes much more sense to have your tv positioned so you can see it from your PC

Debbs

Thread Information