eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Pay-as-you-go' road charge plan.

Silly me. I thought Motorways and By-Passes were built to take traffic away from residential areas. Add to that congestion charges and there will be no place left to go.
    A couple of the roads near here have been turned into rat-runs by people trying to avoid the road works on the M25 at Egham. The Council stepped in and put humps up the road to slow the traffic down. It's slower, but there's just as much of it. Crossing this village road is a nightmare.
    Re:- Deliveries. No point me ordering on the Internet. The
    big firms like Tesco and Waitrose don't deliver here. If I go down to Iceland and select my shopping, they will deliver it same day, free of charge if it is over £25, but they will not take an Internet order to save me going down there.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

My favourite watering hole in the summer,>>>Durham City introduced Britain's first congestion charging on October 1, 2002. A £2 fee to drive along Saddler Street and up to Durham Cathedral, it cut traffic by 85% in its first year.
    Believe me, it is some hike up that bank if you a'int fleet of foot.

They are also considering further charges that will take eight to 10 years to come into existence.

Car fee plan for major city road May 4 2005

By Owen Mcateer, The Evening Chronicle

A city which introduced Britain's first congestion charging scheme could be about to expand it to one of the North East's busiest roads.

The Milburngate roundabout, on the A690 in Durham City, is the busiest in County Durham and a toll is being mooted to discourage drivers using it as a through route to other destinations.

But Durham County Council said it would depend on the construction of a northern relief road, which would give drivers not headed for the city centre an alternative route.

Durham City introduced Britain's first congestion charging on October 1, 2002. A £2 fee to drive along Saddler Street and up to Durham Cathedral, it cut traffic by 85% in its first year.

If a new congestion charge was introduced on the A690 it would be the first city-wide congestion charging scheme outside London.

Durham County Council is to apply for Government funds to introduce the fee and hopes to be among the first to get cash from a new transport innovation fund - to encourage travellers out of their cars and on to public transport. The fund will be established with £200m of public money in 2008, rising to £2bn in a decade.

Durham County Council today said the charge was only one possible option and would depend on the construction of the £14m northern relief road running from the A690 in the east to Aykley Heads in the north.

The council's highways manager Roger Elphick said: "We want to encourage through traffic to use that relief road.

"One idea may be, and I say may be, to look at some form of extension of the road charging scheme.

"It is a really busy road. There are more than 40,000 vehicles that go over Milburngate each day. A lot of them have business in the town centre but not that many."

The scheme would take at least eight to 10 years to come into existence and some sort of satellite technology could be used to charge drivers.

But truck operators are likely to demand exemptions for lorries which need to make deliveries in Durham City.

Geoff Dossetter, of the Freight Transport Association, said: "If you look at London, goods vehicles have got to go in because they're servicing businesses inside the charging zone so the charge doesn't act as a disincentive to go in, it's just an added cost to them."

Durham City traders are also concerned some people already believed you had to pay to get into Durham.

Colin Wilkes, of the Durham Markets Company, said: "It would be awkward to have another toll at the city's doorstep."

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmist
    but they will not take an Internet order to save me going down there.
    As of last month Iceland don't do internet orders for anybody any more.

According to one of their drivers the company has been bought out and the new owners are not interested in keeping the web orders. Seems daft to me as I am sure that they have now lost many, many customers to rivals such as Tesco.

Little difference to you, I know. But at least you're up-to-date now.

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dulwich-herbs
    hmmm... if I levied up the cost of public transport to taking my car.. taking my car would probably win. My car is probably used once, maybe twice a week... if I drive to mums it would cost me about £20 in petrol I suppose.. to take PT... Trains (changing at least 3 times) would cost me (for me and 1 child) about £15.. then when I got to the destination tain station I would have to pay about £8 to get to mums.. another £8 to get back to the train station.. if I had a cheaper car then it would cost me a heck of a lot less to drive than it would by PT.....

Stupid people! :-)

ANd...reading your post...makes me think about coming to YOUR place for an evening!

PUBLIC TRANSPORT: For me and my OH to get from SW London to SE London (and back), on public transport, costs almost £10. In a privately owned car....it's pennies.

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele
    As of last month Iceland don't do internet orders for anybody any more.

According to one of their drivers the company has been bought out and the new owners are not interested in keeping the web orders. Seems daft to me as I am sure that they have now lost many, many customers to rivals such as Tesco.

Little difference to you, I know. But at least you're up-to-date now.
    Real reason is they have been taken over, and made 400 staff from their Head Office in Deeside redundant.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4348359.stm

Last edited by shelleywelley; 7th June 2005 at 08:15 AM.

I think there was an error with the URL, Shell...just have a look at it's properties...the http bit is not correct...it was taking me to microsoft.com......try this...

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timebase
    I think there was an error with the URL, Shell...just have a look at it's properties...the http bit is not correct...it was taking me to microsoft.com......try this...

Thanks Frank, Mozilla doesn't like me doing cut and paste in here

Thread Information