Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Promoting Ebid..any ideas?

Default Promoting Ebid..any ideas?

Hello Everyone,
    I've been using Ebid for a while now and I really enjoy it. I recenlty signed up to start selling some of my old clothes and bits and bobs.
    It appears, (please correct me if I'm wrong!), that there seems to be alot of auctions and not too many bids. As a prospective seller I would like to ask anyone if they have any ideas on how we can promote ebid to attract more buyers. My thoughts were to paste some messages in other relative forums....does anyone know any websites? and of course word of mouth....but that's all I can think of.
    Ads in newspapers? Any journalits out there?..could write an article on Ebid. I just think it would be great if more people knew about Ebid as an alternative to other major auction sites.

Some let's get some brain storming going on and let's all help eachother out.....bring on the ideas! (and let's hopefully follow some up!)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Elektrasonic; 1st October 2005 at 12:02 AM. Reason: forgot a word

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Here's what i've been doing:
    1. I run three websites (not shops) with memberships ranging between 150 and 2800 members. I have EBID banners on all three webistes, plus my EBID shop is listed as sponsor for all three sites (sales here to pay for the hosting on my other sites
    2. When i issue newsletters from my sites- i include the EBID banner at the bottom of each newsletter
    3. I belong to a lot of forums. My forum signatures all include links to my EBID shops
    4. My 'email' signature includes a link to my EBID shop, and a lin to 'Join EBID'
    5. On the rare occasion I use EBay- i tell my purchasers they can now find me here on EBID. I have 'replied' to all old EBAY feedback to tell previous customers and suppliers that I now buy and sell here on EBID.
    6. I have emailed the magazine Ebuyer requesting a link to my shop on their promotional page.

Forum Newbie
    Aughton, East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View bicyclerubber's Feedback (+14485)
    All-About bicyclerubber
    View bicyclerubber's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Surely that's Ebids job too?

we can all do our bit to help but I would expect ebid to be doing the majority to promote itself as a safe, reliable site from which to buy a variety of items.

Forum Lurker
    View MosPostcards's Feedback (+16495)
    All-About MosPostcards
    View MosPostcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Suggestion

Why don't Ebid employ a team of people to hand out advertising leaflets outside football stadiums in shopping precincts and obviously a lot more places. Why not have a large touring vehicle with Ebid banners (Like a road show)
    What about a large advert in these cheap 'Free ads' papers around the country. There must be stacks of options for advertising. All you have to do is tell people that they could save hundreds if not thousands on auction fees if they switch over from Feebay. Have any of these, or other idea's been considered or tried (Finances allowing of course).

After all you have to speculate to accumulate !.

Forum Newbie
    All-About bicyclerubber
    Forum Posts

I know a few ebay powersellers will come and try - their was a post on the PS discussion board about the gold lifetime offer, that's whay I am here.

Its buyers that are wanted I expect, sellers are easy to attract but not easy to keep unless stuff sells.

Default Free Ads

yes, i agree it is buyers we should be attracting...but also sellers...i suppose it works both ways.

An ad in any Free Ad's type newspapers,that I think is a very good idea....does anyone know if we would be allowed to do that? I'm only thinking that the paper then may think we are trying to take custom away from them?

A shop ad in a window perhaps? i suppose that depends on how much it would cost.
    I like the idea of leaflets....a few other good places to hand them out would be at carboot sales, antique fairs, other auctions, markets etc....these are the kind of places you would find people who like shopping for bargains and or unusual bits.

I suppose any idea is a worthy idea but we have to be realistic: ie: dont tread on anyone's toes, think of the market (advertise to people who are buyers/shoppers) and also what is cost effective.

well i'm still thinking....so keep the ideas coming!

Forum Newbie
    All-About bicyclerubber
    Forum Posts

someone at Ebid needs to learn about Geurilla marketing

As ebay has deep enough pockets to run ad campaigns on prime time tv, there is no point competing head on.

The best book on the subject is by Al Ries from memory!

We can do our bit as sellers by listing fairly and accurately and offering excellent service to our buyers (I will just as soon as I get one).
    Cheers

bicyclerubber

Thread Information