My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sellers High Postage

If any auction is seen to be infringing the rules of this site you are at liberty to contact support (http://uk.ebid.net/contact.php - bottom of the page) and report the offender - just make sure that you have read all the relevant FAQs and info pages first or you may not receive a reply.

Ebid should answer all questions or querys regardless of any FAQ pages.

For as long as bidders are prepared to go along with these scams, they will continue - here or in the other place.

I have a fairly good idea of the weight of an item I'm interested in, and can work out the postage for that. I don't even mind if someone adds in the cost of a Jiffy bag. However, if I believe that a seller is extracting the wet stuff, I don't bid!
    Stuart.

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcgamer
    Been looking at a sellers Juicy couture jackets (lottofast) and the postage on his feedbacks for these jackets from hong kong started at £18 then £28 now he wants £38, listing says they make nothing from postage which i do not believe, how come he keeps putting it up then, no way is a jacket £38 from H K
    Not sure which jackets you're talking about, but ......

The heavy cotton hill tribe jackets I sell weigh 0.8 kg when brown paper wrapped - from Thailand this is 11.00 quid by economy airmail taking 2 - 7 weeks, or 18.00 quid by Normal Airmail (both include International registered delivery)

If they're selling the heavy quilted ski jackets, then you can double that weight and add at least 50% to the shipping - and remember ..... Hong Kong is another 1,200 miles East of me - which will increase the postage rate.

Ask them for the weight of the jacket plus packaging and log onto the Hong Kong Post Office website and check postage.

Another thing many Americans and Canadians forget - from Thailand or Hong Kong, it is further to the US / Canada than it is to the UK.

It pays to do a little research before throwing allegations or accusations.

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by pcgamer
    Your right but nothing seems to happen to the sellers, they seem to get away with it, ive been looking on this sight for a while now and some of the postage is outrageous

If buyers don't buy, then are they really getting away with anything?

Well, I guess my point is, the buyers agree to the shipping price when they place their bid, they agree - so how can they be called victims. If they don't place their bid and, therefore, agree to the shipping price, then they haven't lost anything, so how can they be called victims. Why waste g&m's time when the buyers have all the power here? Again, if they don't buy, the seller has not gotten away with anything. Problem solved.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with SAJagminmusicco here. I would go further and say I would be totally opposed to any interference from EBID with a sellers ability to set their own postage rates!

Here's why

First- Is it really such a big problem on EBID? Certainly knowehere near as much as on Feepay where their fees structure positively encourages sellers to do this to avoid fees!

On the rare examples EBID sellers do have extreme postage rates (often new sellers who don't realise how EBIDs fees structure works). Buyers are advised to check the total cost of an item before bidding;- Buyers have a responsibility to do this. If later in the transaction the buyer decides some part of the transaction did not meet expectations, they should use the feedback system to advise others.

EBID is an auction venue - the role of an auction venue is to provide a meeting place for buyers and sellers- it is not their role to set prices. On other threads we've been talking about how over zealous EBIDs 'suspend now - review later' system is. If we were to support a change to EBIDs role- I predict more incorrect and over zealous suspentions!

EBID admin is a small team, I would rather they divert their time to making improvements to the site rather than dealing with postage queries.

What I have suggested on another thread- is that the postage costs could be more visible in the listings. Maybe EBID V3 will do something about this?

Forum Master
    View sofiag1964's Feedback (+456)
    All-About sofiag1964
    View sofiag1964's Listings
    Forum Posts

Talking

Hi there! I've already posted on the plug your auctions but seeing as you're talking about the outrageous prices of p&p, of which I agree, that's why I don't charge postage to UK residents
    Come on by {is that too cheesy? }

There seems to be a lot of discord on the issue of postage.
    All sellers publish their postal charges in the listings so how can there be any argument. The bidder has a choice to bid or not. or purchase outright as the case maybe. But the issue should not just about postage, if it was it would be only about
    the cost of a stamp & a jiffy bag. The thing that is forgotten or not considered is that it is POST & PACK. postage and packing costs. Time taken to sort, count, pick and pack, is it not fair to say you should charge for time taken. Would you work for someone for nothing. If you work for an employer and are paid by the hour. if you engage an account etc. he or she charges by the hour, is it not then fair to say then, that POST AND PACK is what is being charged for and that depending on the item or items can take different times to pack, lets not forget there is the small charge for petrol in going to the Post Office, which is all charged for. These cost amount to far more than the basic price of postage stamps. This is not a charity site but an auction or purchase it now at the price asked for site. The bidder or buyer has a choice based on the listing price plus p&p. The seller has a choice to sell based on his or her costs plus POST & PACK COST. Fair price. Fair sale. Fair exchange. Therfore a 30p sale + £1.00 P&P or £1.00 Sale + 30p P&P both equate to £1.30 What is the problem.
    Last edited by home2b; 12th March 2006 at 01:48 AM.

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Possibly a lot of the irritation on this issue is due to the Littlewoods & Grattans catalogues mentality where there is no P&P charge?

But then, look at the prices they charge for the products

No such thing as a free lunch!

I completely agree with home2b. If you are not willing to pay the price thats being asked, then don't bid. Don't waste your time and the sellers, by agreeing to a price that you have no intention of paying.

I had a buyer on ebay calling me a thief because I charged him 65p for a padded envelope and a stamp. He reckoned the envelope should have only cost 22p. He accused me of "pocketing the difference".

Please Buyers, read the listing! If you think the post is too high, then don't bid. Nobodys forcing you.

Thread Information