My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Memoirs of a Geisha

Default Memoirs of a Geisha

Have you read the book or seen the film?

I just finished the book and watched the DVD tongiht.

If you haven't read the book the film is a load of rubbish - you need to read the book to understand the film otherwise - tosh!

The book was one of the best ever read, but without it the film is ... well... carp!

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I liked the book- haven't seen the film yet. every time i get a copy of this book it sells really quickly ( i list on amazon too!) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz
    Have you read the book or seen the film?

I just finished the book and watched the DVD tongiht.

If you haven't read the book the film is a load of rubbish - you need to read the book to understand the film otherwise - tosh!

The book was one of the best ever read, but without it the film is ... well... carp!

Hi Raz

so does that mean its worth reading/watching or not

Tart with a Heart

The book is brilliant - I couldn't put it down. But the film was very hard to understand without the background of the book. I had to keep pausing it to explain things to hubby!

I recommend the book, and the film only to put faces to the people.

I watched the film without reading the book and I didn't get confused at any point unless there was something I missed out. Usually books have a lot more detail etc but I thought the film stood alone in being able to be understood (havn't read the book to compare- but the book will be better) I love michelle Yeuh, Ken Wanatabe and ziyi zhang.
    what bits were meant to be hard to understand? Did I miss it?

Oh! Well maybe because I DID read the book I felt the film missed too much. The film just skimmed the edge of the book really.

For instance, the book explains everything - such as why and how the "little sister/big sister" works, the "mezuiah" and granny hardly got a mention in the film.

In the book, Nobu had one arm - he had both arms in the film!

It also described her period through the war in very great detail and how she was helped by Nobu, but in the film they missed all that out.

Still, I suppose it's because I read the book I felt I had to explain it all to hubby as I went along.

View slinkyri's Feedback (+2931)
    All-About slinkyri
    View slinkyri's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz
    Oh! Well maybe because I DID read the book I felt the film missed too much. The film just skimmed the edge of the book really.

For instance, the book explains everything - such as why and how the "little sister/big sister" works, the "mezuiah" and granny hardly got a mention in the film.

In the book, Nobu had one arm - he had both arms in the film!

It also described her period through the war in very great detail and how she was helped by Nobu, but in the film they missed all that out.

Still, I suppose it's because I read the book I felt I had to explain it all to hubby as I went along.
    Brilliant book absolutely fabulous! Not seen the film yet but as with the Da Vanci Code I'm nervous watching the film will not come anywhere near how I feel about the book. They rarely do for me

Wink

I was really impressed with how well the film stuck to the book for da Vince Code, was really worried, esp with all the hype but I loved the film!

And the little sister/big sister was explained well in the film- just personal thought though.

I liked how the film never reveals that it's a work of fiction posed as an autobiography, even though it was written by a man!
    hehe.

I always feel when I've read a book that they've missed important stuff out-like Lord of the Rings I was al confused how they could miss out such important (in my eys!) chunks etc.
    But I did have my wee sister bugging me the whole way through about it!
    She thinks I'm really clever because of it though which is a plus side- keep going on about the symbolism, and trenches and historical figures (ie- wormtail = rasputain and aragorn= wallace etc)

I', going to stop rambling now!!!
    Last edited by filmfan0105; 17th June 2006 at 11:00 AM.

ma says thatt filum the gusher is poo

Thread Information