Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice & tips for new sellers

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Advice & tips for new sellers

Someone suggested I copy this post to a new thread for any EBAY exciles considering sertting up a store here- add your tips too

I came from EBAY just over a year ago- and made a point of bringing some old customers with me.
    I'm not a big seller on an EBID power seller scale, however i do have over 2000 items listed here on EBID.

If I were a large power seller considering a move from EBAY just now, here's what i would do:

1. Purchase EBID lifetime Gold membership for £45- you'll never pay a (non featured) listing fee again after that- including FVF (you can purchase shorter Gold memberships too- the lifetime being best value)
    2. Set up an EBID store (free). use the same name as Ebay for continuity
    3. Either Download the EBID excel file listing file ( it's not perfect by any means, but ok if you're good with excel) OR set up some default listing templates on EBID, so that most of your info is populated automatically for each new listing.- remember to add your listing to your EBID store
    4. List your items a little cheaper than you do on EBAY to encourage buyers
    5. Email all your old EBAY and Paypal customers a link to your EBID store and tell them you are doing a promotion on items bought on EBID. send these customers the 'join ebid' link which gains you 'buddy points' when they join (read up on buddy points later!)
    6. Set your listings to auto report ten times- then just leave them running. Relisting after the tenth time is easy, you can tick a whole page of completed listinsg at a time and they will all relist at the click of a button.
    7. Make usre you complete your 'about me' page on EBID, and ideally try to gain a litle bit of feedback (as a buyer) to start you off here. EBID buyers have learned to be suspicious of brand new zero feedback sellers posting up expensive auctions- then disappearing!

It's only fair to flag up EBIDs faults in advance, so you can avoid some of them!:
    1. Pppay sems to make it as difficult as possible for buyers to sign up. I do use it, but with reservation!
    2. Read EBIDs rules on what you can or cannot list here- unlike EBay, EBID respond rapidly to listing infringements.
    3. Do not list duplicate items- EBID prefers you to use the dutch auction system.
    4. There was a site 'upgrade' recently which is only partially completed - there are quite a few 'snags' users are waiting for EBID to fix. EBID admin have acknowledged some of them - but it's taking a while for the fixes to come through!
    5. Issue your own invoices, don't depend on EBIDs notice of sale- it plugs pppay and doesn't include the sellers chosen methods.
    6. Don't try to put links or emails in your listings, they won't work. you'll be able to contact buyers once the auctions are finished.(or see how I get round this using .jpg files!)

To end on a positive
    EBID buyers are very loyal. I have dozens of regular returning customers. EBID is very much a community, it does have faults but there is still a feeling that we the users can influence how the site developes

At Val's request, posted across from the KT:

Hi Folks

I've been browsing around on a whim today, and come across several items I might have been interested in, but some things have put me off:
    • Photos used are obviously stock footage from manufacturer
    • Loads of zero-rated sellers
    • Nobody offering Escrow
    • Questions not being answered
    • Unclear or "tba" shipping costs
    • Very high shipping costs clearly intended to offset the low selling price of the item
    • Silly reserves.
    So my message to new sellers would be:
    • Take the time and trouble to take and upload your own photographs - this gives buyers confidence that you actually have the item.
    • If you have a low (or zero) feedback rating, offer to let people pay via PPPay Escrow. And don't tell me you haven't had time to set it up yet, it only takes two minutes. Another confidence-builder.
    • Answer all questions posted. Show the buyers you are interested and attentive.
    • TELL me how much you're charging for shipping.
    • Don't be stupid with shipping. Transparency = honesty.
    • Set the minimum price you are prepared to accept, and don't waste our time with reserves.
    Granted, I'm not shopping for very cheap items, and you probably wouldn't bother using Escrow for a £3.50 item. But there is no way on this Earth I will place a decent bid on a high-value item with a zero-rated seller unless there is some way of protecting myself. It's just not gonna happen. And unless you are planning on stealing my money, there's no reason you should expect otherwise.

Send a clear message that you are an honest trader. There is so much choice for the buyers - don't give them an excuse to look elsewhere!
    Last edited by kenpem; 12th July 2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo!
    DISCLAIMER:
    The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the author, or his family, internet service
    provider, mobile phone operator, bank, milk supplier, television channel, favourite movie or religion.
    I don't know where they come from.
    It scares me sometimes.

Forum Newbie
    View pennysgirl's Feedback (+284)
    All-About pennysgirl
    View pennysgirl's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have two non paying bidders, rachel23 bid and attempted to pay via pppay.com but she has not been verified and it seems she may be fraudelent as there is no replies to my emails, also robertm7882, purchased using buy it now, and has not replied to any emails even though I state quite clearly that I need to know method of payment within 24 hours so I am presuming this person is also messing about as neither of them have any feedback, have they bid on any other auctions--beware

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello fluffy. I don't have a big problem with no payers. I send an invoice withing 24 hours of auction finishing Don't depend on EBIDS notification of sale- always send an invoice with your payment choices detailed.

Assuming you've sent your own invoice, have you used your after auction log (AAL) to send payment reminders yet? You can issue one reminder every 24 hours. If that doesn't work you should note the auction unpaid, leave megative feedback and notify EBID admin who will (in my experience) then refund your fees.

As this thread is specifically for advice for new sellers you may want to post your 'warning' about the non payers on another thread. However I wouldn't 'name and shame' until you have issued invoice and reminders & left negative feedback - just in case a cheque is in the post.

Edit- your second bidder only joined EBID on 9th July. Can't have been much time since auction finished

Forum Newbie
    View pennysgirl's Feedback (+284)
    All-About pennysgirl
    View pennysgirl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Talking penny291

Hi, Fluff is my daughter, I am penny291 and run pennypinchers store and I do advice her with her auctions, I have had a couple of problems with non paying bidders but I always leave it two to three weeks before leaving negative feedback. I have never named and shamed them yet but I intend to start leaving their user names, names and addresses in the forums so other sellers can watch out for non paying bidders. the second bidder only joined on the 9th but bought on buy it now and has never since replied to emails or reminders. Fluff will wait another week then leave negative feedback and name them in forums.
    Last edited by fluffybunnytails; 13th July 2006 at 05:19 PM. Reason: forgot to log in as myself, fluff is my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunnytails
    Hi, Fluff is my daughter, I am penny291 and run pennypinchers store and I do advice her with her auctions, I have had a couple of problems with non paying bidders but I always leave it two to three weeks before leaving negative feedback. I have never named and shamed them yet but I intend to start leaving their user names, names and addresses in the forums so other sellers can watch out for non paying bidders. the second bidder only joined on the 9th but bought on buy it now and has never since replied to emails or reminders. Fluff will wait another week then leave negative feedback and name them in forums.
    Hi, I always leave it a few weeks to a month before leaving neg feedback, there could be genuine reasons why a payment is late, i realise there is life outside of eBid, i am waiting for 4 payments at the moment, i send reminders & only leave a neg if i don't receive a reply or payment within a reasonable time.
    Naming & shamimg is good if you leave it a little while, but just the user id, names & addresses aren't allowed on here.

My auctions, good prices, fair p&p.

Laughing is good exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Just bumping this for the newbies, welcome.

My auctions, good prices, fair p&p.

Laughing is good exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Thanks for the info. CAn I not put any links in my auctions then? what about a link to another listing on ebid for related items?
    As a new member, can I sell, or do I need to buy to get some Fb first?
    Unfortunately my ebay ID has asterisks in it; pink*fairy*queen, which is not allowed here, and pinkfairy queen has been taken- otherwise a good sugestion.
    I would like you to show the differences between making shop listings on ebay and listing on ebay please, if you'd be so kind :-)

Hi, You can sell straight away but it would be advisable to buy a little to get some feedback.
    why don't you try pink-fairy-queen and see if thats gone. If you have a shop put everything in it and they will list as regular auctions as well. you do not have to do bins only for shop items.
    Welcome to Ebid

Hi,
    A very interesting article. I agree with the advice given by Val and Kenpem...this is exactly what sellers should be doing. I am about to move an amount of business from ebay to ebid. I am a Gold Powerseller on eBay, with 1500 trades @ 99.9%. I wanted to say how impressed I am with this site. I hope when it is more successful, ebid dont fall down the trap that ebay did....
    John.
    Watch out for my auction and ebid store coming soon (i am very excited!!)

I sell top end (genuine!) designer suits and mens formal wear, together with mens casual wear.

Thread Information