Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do sellers do it

Quote Originally Posted by Anichka54 View Post
    Oh i see, i didn't realise it had been in the pipeline for that long.
    I guess a lot could account for that when it's just a little extra, it's the low priced items, with huge p&p that get my goat. £1 to buy, anywhere between £20 & £200 p&p that you know will only cost around £3-£5 (maybe a bit more if coming from abroad) to send including any packaging costs.

I agree. I just paid £5.00 for postage which is quite clearly marked on the envelope as 84p. That is a rip off. I can't abide people putting the postage up on 60 min auctions. If they can't afford to put it on 60 min auctions, then they should do it. It was partly my fault as I hadn't checked the P & P. When I complained in my feedback. They retaliated by saying the had been very patient as my payment was slow. I ask you. Some people shouldn't be allowed on auction sites without a warning sign. They make me so mad.
    PLJ

Store open again
    For Portraits in Pastels, Watercolour and Graphite Pencil.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Sweet-Smel...cess-Art-Store
    For beautiful hand made Greeting Cards
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Card-Shop
    For Collectors Dolls
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Doll-Shop
    Quality Secondhand Books
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Book-Shop
    Fine Jewellery and Costume Jewellery
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Jewellery-Shop

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Looking at it from a practical point (I haven't read the whiole thread, just the first few and get the idea the Lynch mob is out) but.....

Maybe -

The seller had an old listing on eBay and had not updated the postage, whereas they HAD updated it here in readiness for PIP and weren't planning to stay on eBay due to the fee hikes?

Or (and I've got this problem) they have so many thousands of items in Turbo Lister that they hadn't got around to the batch containing that one yet, but wanted it listed on the last cheap fee day over there?

Or maybe were just trying to claw back a portion of their gold membership fee here?

There could be lots of valid reasons without it being a rip off attempt - what was their feedbacks and dates of joining, both here and there? Those would very much give you a clue as to what was going on with them.

---

On a personal note - for 31p I wouldn't have bothered shopping around - my time is worth more than that - and I'm permanently a lot more skint than many people on here.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
    I just cannot believe that someone would moan about 31p. And even worse, tell everybody about it! If this is the mentality of ebid buyers: We are doomed. doomed I tell you!
    I spilt more than 31p in the pub, sheesh
    You sound like one of those people who tries to haggle you down when you're selling them a car, trying to knock £50 off the price, and then try to make YOU feel bad - "What's £50? It's nothing!" - well, if it's nothing, they shouldn't mind paying it.

The OP has a very relevant point - you do not.

Why would anybody on Ebay charge LESS for postage when they are paying MORE in fees to Ebay? That's a very relevant point indeed. Perhaps the seller got their P&Ps mixed up, and meant to put the Ebay ones on Ebid, and vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by paintinglemonjane View Post
    I was just going to bid on something today and noticed the seller had doubled the postage because it was on 60 min. I don't know how many times I have said this. If they can't afford the 60 mins they shouldn't put their items on it. I am not prepare to pay £10 postage on a tiny 128 mb flash drive. Certainly the seller said if it did well they would reduce the postage. It isn't the point. That is not what the 60 min auctions are for. I have just put items on the 60 min auction and it only cost me 10p. Why would I add extra postage just because it would go cheaper. Personally I would rather have a sale, than no sale.
    If my auctions sell then I have at least sold them and not completely out of pocket. Putting postage up only increases the chances of it no selling. Plus they have lost their 60 min auction money to boot. Seems pretty senceless to me.
    I totally agree. Either put the item on the Front Page auctions at the price you want, or don't bother- don't put it in 60mins and then try to barter with potential bidders, it's not the way Ebid works.

I'm very, very new - joined yesterday actually and started listing some of my items. lots to do though and i'm fed up already (but i'll keep drinking tea to keep going!). I'm actually lowering my prices on here becuase of the low / no fees etc - i cant see why all sellers cant pass on that bit of saving (moving over from "the otherside" as i'm gradually doing). I also have a shop and dont take credit cards for the same reason - i refuse to pay bank charges that i then have to pass on to the customer.... things cost enough already!

Cool

[QUOTE=donkeyote;390175]You sound like one of those people who tries to haggle you down when you're selling them a car, trying to knock £50 off the price, and then try to make YOU feel bad - "What's £50? It's nothing!" - well, if it's nothing, they shouldn't mind paying it.

I agree that you should not inflate p+p, I dont. My point was groaning about pennies not pounds. The OP was telling us how 31p was saved. Think about it, 31p! Its nothing!
    As for me sounding like one of those poeple that would knock £50 off a car, you know nothing about me, as I usually ask for a couple of grand off.
    However, you sound like one of those poeple that pay 65p (wholsale) for a dvd and then ask for £5 for it with TWO POUNDS p+p , which costs you 70p including padded envelope. Thats £5.35 profit on something your selling for a fiver, but I guess thats ok right?
    Do be careful when attacking someone unjustly....
    Anyhow, good luck with your sales.

Forum Lurker
    View lucylauraphil3's Feedback (+50)
    All-About lucylauraphil3
    View lucylauraphil3's Listings
    Forum Posts

**** I just paid £5.00 for postage which is quite clearly marked on the envelope as 84p.****

You didn't say what the item was, but for £5 it would have to be well over 1000g and be eligable for parcel post! I would'nt buy from them even if I was desparate!!

All-About brassedoff
    View brassedoff's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post

I agree that you should not inflate p+p, I dont. My point was groaning about pennies not pounds. The OP was telling us how 31p was saved. Think about it, 31p! Its nothing!
    The point I was making really had nothing to do with the 31p parse but the disparity in price between the two auction sites for the same item by the same seller.

I'm a bit puzzled (still) People are saying that they can't afford to list on ebay because the fees are too high. Then people here are saying that the sellers who move over should reduce their prices because of the cheaper fees.
    What, and carry on not being able to make a profit!

View slinkyri's Feedback (+2931)
    All-About slinkyri
    View slinkyri's Listings
    Forum Posts

one word comes to me here John - compromise?

Meet half way?

Even on the markets these days the rents are sky high - we pay £100 for a sunday 15foot container in an east london market but still can't ask the correct price for "proper" profit margins. It's cut throat and the economy at the moment has meant a gradual downslide for the retail industry.

Meeting half way makes your customer see the same item here for less which means dragging those customers over will be easier.

Trust me I've been here for a long time now and buyers or the lack of them has always been the trouble. What will bring them over here to tackle "new" formats of buying if they aren't going to get something for doing it?

It's up to all of us to try to make Ebid mean a place for buyers to go for bargains instead of Ebay. The word out to the buyers that Ebay's fees make the sellers sell at ott rates but Ebid is the place to go is what we want.

Yes?

Thread Information