eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wish had a bit more notice - re child car seats

Quote Originally Posted by emma5721 View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4781511.stm

if your child is under 12 or under 4 foot 5 you need a booster/car seat

first i heard of it today on the news and its due to be law from monday
    so everyone it applies to has got to rush out this weekend and buy one

i understand its for safety reasons, but why now? and suddenly unless i missed something
    Hate to say it Em, but it's been news for quite a while. If you don't watch the news and don't read the papers ever, what else is the world supposed to do to keep everyone informed? I've even seen information about the new law at the nursery I take my daughter to every week, in the shops we go to to buy clothing for her and even places like Boots - the information is out there, it not hidden or been kept a secret to induce a last minute rush to buy car seats, it's hard to see how you've not seen it before now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Millard View Post
    Hate to say it Em, but it's been news for quite a while. If you don't watch the news and don't read the papers ever, what else is the world supposed to do to keep everyone informed? I've even seen information about the new law at the nursery I take my daughter to every week, in the shops we go to to buy clothing for her and even places like Boots - the information is out there, it not hidden or been kept a secret to induce a last minute rush to buy car seats, it's hard to see how you've not seen it before now.....
    I already knew about this from a year or so before. But I must say, I have not heard a word about this lately. So emma5721 is not alone.

I understand that an adult seat belt could break a small child's neck in a crash. However, there are seat belt adjusters, which position the seat belt safely on a child. They are cheap and easily available. I wonder if the idiots who pushed this law through have any idea of the opposition parents will get from children who regard the boosters as babyish after sitting in a normal car seat for years. More to the point, have any of these people actually tried sitting in one of these seats? They are OK for a quick trip to the shops or the school run. Most of them are hard polystyrene with a foam cushion in the centre. The children complain of pins and needles in their legs after a few miles.
    I wonder whose child will get the first Deep Vein Thrombosis as a result of their circulation being impeded. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of keeping children safe, but the seat belt adjuster did this cheaply and effectively. I wonder how many MP's have shares in Britax etc.? Also, as the law stands, (disregarding booster seats), if 2 adults and a child are in the back seat of a car, the adults must use the seat belts. So much for child safety!

Very good point about the DVT.

I'm lucky- I don't drive, but I have car seats for all 4 of my kids for the rare occasion we venture out. I haven't seen anything recently about the new law, so I assumed it was already in place...

The Soap Dragon xxx

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emma5721 View Post
    yeah obviously younger kids need to *not* be jumping around in the back seat

can anyone say what the guidelines/new law means?

if your kid is under 12 or under 4 foot 5 you need a seat?
    my kid is under 12 but 4 foot 8 (check the link for the story)

do i need one?
    sorry brains locked, can't work it out
    Hiya Em

Our nursery gave us a booklet produced by the Welsh assembly. It says:

Child 3 years to 135cms in height (and under 12 years)

Front seat - Correct child restraint must be used
    Back seat - Correct child restraint must be used where seat belts fitted. Must use adult belt if in a taxi, the correct child restraint is not available or on a short occasional trip the correct child restraint not available (school runs not covered by occasional trips) or in the case of two occupied child restraints preventing fitting of a third.

child 12 or 13, or over 135cms in height

Front seat - seat belt must be worn if fitted
    Back seat - seat belt must be worn if fitted

So, in the case of Helen, as she's over the 135cms she doesn't need to have a booster seat.

In our case we already have 2 seats in the back for the two little ones, Andrew is 11 but just about scrapes the 135cms otherwise he'd be expected to sit in the front of the car with a booster seat.

What get on my nerves. Kids are allowed in taxi's and on buses and dont have to be in a booster seat. So why is the law just for cars. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    If your 11 year old has to sit in a booster seat, they have got a better chance of flying straight out of the windscreen rather than being lower down and protected by the front seats in the event of a crash.
    I think booster seat a very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ladylauraac View Post
    What get on my nerves. Kids are allowed in taxi's and on buses and dont have to be in a booster seat. So why is the law just for cars. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    If your 11 year old has to sit in a booster seat, they have got a better chance of flying straight out of the windscreen rather than being lower down and protected by the front seats in the event of a crash.

Booster seats raise the childs position, therefore making the seatbelt sit where it should, so damage will not be caused by the seatbelt.....if the seatbelt is worn correctly the chances of flying through the windscreen during an accident are slim....

im all for this new law personally, too many people fail to protect their kids and you read newspaper articles about kids being injsred in car accidents because the parents failed to secure them properly...

one way of putting its is:

would you take your child to a theme park and let them ride a rollercoaster if they wernt strapped in / secure???

Answer: NO

i rest my case...
    Last edited by mogmog2005; 19th September 2006 at 11:52 AM.
    you can NEVER have too many pairs of shoes...

₪ ø lll ·o.

Happiness Is Like Strawberry Jam, You Can't Spread Even A Little Bit Of It, Without Getting Some On Yourself!

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladylauraac View Post
    Totally agree, I don't think this has been thought out properly at all.

Surely it should be down to the parents to educate and make sure kids are sitting properly in the car, putting them on a booster seat isn't necessarily going to make them sit properly.

Forum Newbie
    View af270502's Feedback (+9)
    All-About af270502
    View af270502's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shelleywelley View Post
    Totally agree, I don't think this has been thought out properly at all.

Surely it should be down to the parents to educate and make sure kids are sitting properly in the car, putting them on a booster seat isn't necessarily going to make them sit properly.
    Just brings us into line with most of Western Europe. We had to check all this out last year for a drive to Austria. By the way, its also law through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria to carry high vis jackets for driver and passengers, warning triangles, snow chains and an approved first aid kit, so actually just being handed the booster seat law isn't too bad. Thankfully my 8 yr old is 139cm so we get away with it. We knew from a local store pushing them earlier in the year that booster seats were on the way!

Oh, nearly forgot, fire extinguisher aswell!
    Last edited by af270502; 20th September 2006 at 03:16 AM.

Thread Information