eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: The Veil part 2

Angry The Veil part 2

Veil woman loses discrimination bid

Last updated at 18:00pm on 19th October 2006

A Muslim teaching assistant who refused to remove her veil during lessons has won her employment tribunal case for victimisation against the school that suspended her, but lost her claims of discrimination and harassment.
    Kirklees Council suspended Aishah Azmi, 24, after she refused to remove her veil while teaching at Headfield Church of England Junior School in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire.
    The school said face-to-face communication was essential for Ms Azmi's job as a bilingual support worker.
    The case fuelled an ongoing debate about the use of the veil and the way that the Muslim community integrates into British society.
    Ms Azmi was awarded £1,000 for "injury to feelings" after she succeeded in her claim of victimisation. But her claims of direct and indirect discrimination, and her claim of harassment, were dismissed.
    In a statement, Mrs Azmi criticised ministers who had intervened in the case and said it made her "fearful of the consequences for Muslim women in this country who want to work".
    She said she was considering an appeal against the decision to dismiss three of her claims.
    "It is clear that discrimination against me has taken place and I am disappointed that the Employment Tribunal has not been able to uphold that part of my claim," she said.
    "I am taking the advice of my legal team at Kirklees Law Centre and will be looking to appeal against that decision. However, I am pleased that the tribunal have recognised the victimising way in which the school and the local education authority have handled this matter and the distress that has caused me."
    Mrs Azmi, of Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury, has said she was willing to remove her veil in front of children - but not when male colleagues were present.

£1000 for "injury to feelings" wtf is this country coming to?

Right!

In that case we now have to sue every single employer who has a dress code and prevents the workers from wearing whatever the hell they like on the grounds of victimisation and discrimination.

I say that if a nursery worker wants to wear a Freddy Kruger costume, face mask and glove at work, then they should be allowed to do so - even if it is entirely inappropriate and scares the cr@p out of the kids and other staff.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crackersgolfing View Post
    Veil woman loses discrimination bid

Last updated at 18:00pm on 19th October 2006

A Muslim teaching assistant who refused to remove her veil during lessons has won her employment tribunal case for victimisation against the school that suspended her, but lost her claims of discrimination and harassment.
    Kirklees Council suspended Aishah Azmi, 24, after she refused to remove her veil while teaching at Headfield Church of England Junior School in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire.
    The school said face-to-face communication was essential for Ms Azmi's job as a bilingual support worker.
    The case fuelled an ongoing debate about the use of the veil and the way that the Muslim community integrates into British society.
    Ms Azmi was awarded £1,000 for "injury to feelings" after she succeeded in her claim of victimisation. But her claims of direct and indirect discrimination, and her claim of harassment, were dismissed.
    In a statement, Mrs Azmi criticised ministers who had intervened in the case and said it made her "fearful of the consequences for Muslim women in this country who want to work".
    She said she was considering an appeal against the decision to dismiss three of her claims.
    "It is clear that discrimination against me has taken place and I am disappointed that the Employment Tribunal has not been able to uphold that part of my claim," she said.
    "I am taking the advice of my legal team at Kirklees Law Centre and will be looking to appeal against that decision. However, I am pleased that the tribunal have recognised the victimising way in which the school and the local education authority have handled this matter and the distress that has caused me."
    Mrs Azmi, of Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury, has said she was willing to remove her veil in front of children - but not when male colleagues were present.

£1000 for "injury to feelings" wtf is this country coming to?

And how do they know if she was really the one coming into work every day??????????????????????????
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

Quote Originally Posted by maroy41 View Post
    And how do they know if she was really the one coming into work every day??????????????????????????
    PMSL sorry lol

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Right!

In that case we now have to sue every single employer who has a dress code and prevents the workers from wearing whatever the hell they like on the grounds of victimisation and discrimination.

I say that if a nursery worker wants to wear a Freddy Kruger costume, face mask and glove at work, then they should be allowed to do so - even if it is entirely inappropriate and scares the cr@p out of the kids and other staff.

Right........my lollipop man should be allowed to wear a
    stetson , a pair of leather shorts like the yodellers wear ,
    and a pair of red wellies whilst directin `me across the busy road every day,without anyone complainin `about him.....he`s doin` no harm...........

Quote Originally Posted by maroy41 View Post
    Ay......you`ve hit on an idea there....I`m gonna convert
    and send me mate into do my shift in the rubber-plug factory,
    when i can`t be rrsssed goin `in........cowabunga.......

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyyy View Post

Right........my lollipop man should be allowed to wear a
    stetson , a pair of leather shorts like the yodellers wear ,
    and a pair of red wellies whilst directin `me across the busy road every day,without anyone complainin `about him.....he`s doin` no harm...........
    I agree. That's a fantastic idea!

Thread Information