eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebid need to start off properly.

OP - if eBid is "new" as you describe it - how come it's been in business since roughly the same date as eBay UK?

i.e. since the mid 1990s

Since it started, eBid has been a joint effort between site and sellers - over the years, more than 90% of all marketing has been done by the members and it's only comparatively recently that the site have upped the marketing (but only online)

In fact, 4 years ago, sister company ppPay did more marketing of eBid than eBid did itself.

Roll back through the forums - you'll find the constant wail from users is for more offline marketing from and for the site.

Exclamation safer world for buyers

Ok I have recently started on this site and up until the previous 48 hours was quite happy with what i found, however my view has now been tainted, firstly i have spent £40 on items i really don't believe i will now ever get, and secondly i bought an item to find the seller just simply close his account after he got my cash...
    Now as a buyer on this site (not yet gone to selling one for the future) the easier solution for safety more than ebay is each seller upon opening his/her account must register a credit card against his/her account this card can the be used as proof of personage, so when someone likes me gets 'ripped' off at least with the C/C details when i goto police they are not going on a wild goose chase to find the addrses is actually someone in China!!!!!!!!!

Then if a buyer posts a non delivery of item ebid could simply use the PPPay.com/escrow system and take the money out of his/her card until both parties were happy.... at the moment there is no mediation process between buyer and seller,...

Also this form of regisitering is fair as people who are honest sellers (and im sure 99.9% are) wouldn't mind as it would ensure trust between buyer seller, which is most important considering Ebays bad press......

This site should not consider trying to take ebay on, but infact should be spending time trying to BETTER ebay...... I for one would certainly recommend to my customer to come to ebid if i would be confident enough in the system and not getting ripped off....

with regards to me getting ripped of i will continue my fights in the courts....

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

My tuppence, for what it's worth, is that in my experience of almost 4 years on this site is that there are far more waste-of-oxygen buyers than there are outright con sellers.

Non Paying / non communicating bidders are one of the many reasons I stopped selling here (although other issues are delaying me returning - I had hoped to begin re-listing back in August).

The seller identity and bank account / card verification systems here are actually more rigorous than eBay from what I can remember of them.

It's the total lack of buyer verification that is the most serious problem.

Plus generally, that buyers only look at the photo and price when bidding, and rarely READ the text supplied (until something goes wrong in their opinion - which is normally wrong anyway).

If I had my way, all buyers would have to sit an English literacy exam similar to at least O level standard - none of this wimpy GCSE garbage that churns out students capable of mobile phone SMS grammar and little else.

BRING BACK THE THREE R's I SAY
    And the birch
    And the Dunce Cap
    And the flogging over the school railings at dawn
    And shin-length PE shorts for the cross country runs in a blizzard
    Lumpy mashed spuds with black bits in them for school dinners
    Segregation of Grammar and Secondary Modern Schools - give the youth of today something to strive for like we had to do when there was still an Empire (or at least some remnants of one)
    Bring back National Service, the 80-hour working week, and chimney sweeping for snotty nosed gobby kids who don't respect their elders
    Re-introduce belts round the ear by policemen for breaking greenhouse windows and second helpings from parents when they get home

Vote Gaz for Prime Minister - I'll put the UK back where it should be
    Out with Tony Blurgh,
    In with good traditional British values
    Nationalise eBay (that should slow it down),
    Rescue free Dentists for all, and re-open the pits for community service criminals
    Gaz for Prime Minister
    Shout it Loud
    Shout it Proud

(You can hear them quaking in their boots in Brussels can't you?)

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai View Post

Plus generally, that buyers only look at the photo and price when bidding, and rarely READ the text supplied (until something goes wrong in their opinion - which is normally wrong anyway).

If I had my way, all buyers would have to sit an English literacy exam similar to at least O level standard - none of this wimpy GCSE garbage that churns out students capable of mobile phone SMS grammar and little else.

BRING BACK THE THREE R's I SAY
    And the birch
    And the Dunce Cap
    And the flogging over the school railings at dawn
    And shin-length PE shorts for the cross country runs in a blizzard
    Lumpy mashed spuds with black bits in them for school dinners
    Segregation of Grammar and Secondary Modern Schools - give the youth of today something to strive for like we had to do when there was still an Empire (or at least some remnants of one)
    Bring back National Service, the 80-hour working week, and chimney sweeping for snotty nosed gobby kids who don't respect their elders
    Re-introduce belts round the ear by policemen for breaking greenhouse windows and second helpings from parents when they get home

- put the UK back where it should be
    Out with Tony Blurgh,
    In with good traditional British values
    Nationalise eBay (that should slow it down),
    Rescue free Dentists for all, and re-open the pits for community service criminals

(You can hear them quaking in their boots in Brussels can't you?)
    I second all of that.

My auctions, good prices, fair p&p.

Laughing is good exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Great idea...can I have the franchise on supplying the campaign rosettes...?

The problem I see with eBid is that it's all well and good allowing free auctions or cheap listing, but these do not create enough money to do proper marketing of the site.

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
    The problem I see with eBid is that it's all well and good allowing free auctions or cheap listing, but these do not create enough money to do proper marketing of the site.

On the other hand, if users did not use their forum signature to advertise sales offsite, then maybe the site would make enough fees to pay for that marketing and advertising?

Forum Newbie
    Nr Bristol, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    View UKcables's Feedback (+2)
    All-About UKcables
    View UKcables's Listings
    Forum Posts

#14..Well put...I have just signed up for a shop on another site, apart from CC verification they also asked me to send in original utility bills to show who I am, this is a small thing, easy to do and has got to help with site security...Dave

Please Help Me!
    Ok, I'm A Experienced Seller, With Excellent Feedback On The Other Web Site. I'm A Gold On Ebid, & Tried To Post An Auction & Am Told I Can't Due To No Feedback On Ebid. So, How Does A New Person Start After They've Paid For Gold With No Feedback?
    Many Thanx In Advance For Any Help!

Thread Information