eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Advice needed RE house alarms

Default Advice needed RE house alarms

Hello

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks

Do you know if council houses need permission from the council to have a house alarm?

And does anyone know how much roughly a house alarm costs a month or a year (one of those ones where if it goes off it rings through to that company...I forget the name, who come straight out to investigate)?

Thanks

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Having worked for a local authority Housing Service for over 30 years, I cannot remember permission being needed for something like an alarm, but it is always worth checking just in case. With regard to companies that turn out when an alarm goes off, your best bet is to check with your local Crime Prevention officer for a list of recommended or approved companies. This will ensure you do not get a rogue company who may or may not turn up when you want them to. I dont expect this sort of service comes cheap though.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

Market Drayton, Shropshire, United Kingdom
    View Paulwillhappy's Feedback (+28)
    All-About Paulwillhappy
    View Paulwillhappy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up

Hi,

4 Years ago the ADT area manager was driving along the byepass when he spotted my house ?

He knocked on the door and offered us a Top of the range system with loads of Infrared sensors & various accessories, We even have 2 Bell boxes. ( Its high profile and advertises ADT !)

Later we upgraded to ADT CCTV. For all this we have paid not 1 penny up front but have a Direct Debit for £28.99 this is for 24 Hour Monitoring.

This covers a 5 Bedroom house.

ADT are the best and their service is brilliant, They come out twice a year to service and check the alarm.

I cancelled my Sky subs to pay for it so it was the best £28.99 i pay

http://www.adt.co.uk/homesecurity
    Last edited by Paulwillhappy; 12th November 2006 at 08:55 AM.
    Never take your loo for granted Camping sucks.......

I totally disagree that ADT are the best. I would imagine for £28.99 per month you are linked into a 5 year contract, and you never own the equipment. ADT also used to fit dummy boxes on the front so you never got audible protection. As far as I know they still do this. A five year contract with ADT at £28.99 per month works out at £1739!! Way too dear.

A good local NACOSS Gold Accredited Company would charge a lot less if you had one fitted outright rather than rented.

Here is a link to a web site that will have a full directory of NACOSS approved companies. Insurance companies will also provide a discount on your contents insurance if you use a NACOSS approved company.

If you are in the south of England, my husband's company could do it for you. He is NACOSS Gold accredited.

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by BunjeesPiggiesPoochins View Post
    Hello

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks

Do you know if council houses need permission from the council to have a house alarm?

And does anyone know how much roughly a house alarm costs a month or a year (one of those ones where if it goes off it rings through to that company...I forget the name, who come straight out to investigate)?

Thanks
    Had an alarm fitted to my industrial unit a couple of weeks ago. One door contact, one PIR motion detector, one VERY loud siren. £380.00
    Cheaper than it sounds because it is wired into the telephone line and will give a recorded message to upto 8 telephone numbers if the alarm is triggered. You can alter the message or phone numbers anytime you wish, and they can be local, national, mobile or oversas numbers
    If a mouse farted in the unit I would know within 10 seconds

LOL about the mouse and thanks for the help

Used to work in a building which had ADT alarm.
    When the alarm went off we had to pay an engineer a fortune to come out & reset the system.
    I pointed out that a simple code, entered into the box, along with my pin should be all that was needed - NO. So we told them that we would be cancelling the contract forthwith & moving to another monitoring company.
    We had the new system installed within a fortnight.
    With the old system, we had a fault, on average, every two months (£80 callout charge for engineer to reset faults, genuine alarm callouts were free).
    With the new system of me entering my pin & ringing for a reset code we averaged one false alarm per year - max.

I told my boss that when I was there late at night, I'd heard the alarm phone ping a few times (dedicated alarm line). I figured that as they knew the state of our system at any given time, it wouldn't be outside their powers to ring in & cause a fault.
    Strange how the faults suddenly decreased.
    Nowt here so don't bother looking

SEARCHING for ET

Thread Information