eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: USB hardware advice please

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default USB hardware advice please

I've recently purchased a laptop for my daughters room, which i want to link to my spare printer (Canon Pixma iP1600 Inkjet Printer). But the laptop doesn't have a printer port- only usb. I've seen a whole range of usb to printer converter items on both ebid and feepay- but i'm not sure which i should choose? Can anyone recommend a good usb to printer converter that will link my Toshiba laptop to my cannon printer?

Whilst on the subject of usb, Both my digital cameras ( fuji finepix and kodac) are playing up when it comes to transferring pictures onto the pc, i think the connectors damage easily. I'm considering getting a usb card reader to use instead. Again there seem to be loads of different ones out there.. some very cheap,( would cheap equal unreliable?) some more expensive. can anyone recommend a usb card reader that has worked well for them?

Any advice greatfully received

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Hanna, I don't know much about computers, but probably the cheapest would be a USB cable. I got one with my printer, but you must be able to get them individually. As for the card reader I've not used these myself, but wwww.7dayshop.com are fairly cheap. They also have the advantage of being in either Guernsey which gives you a lower tax on low price items. Their delivery is excellent - 2 or 3 days if the item is in stock.

If you can't find what you want on here of course.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Hi Val,
    my brother-in-law who works all the hardware on his PC's to death was delighted with the internal (fits in the floppy drive bay) 7 in one card reader & floppy drives I bought him the first one was a mitsumi, bought about 3 years ago, the second was I think an ebuyer value one (as they didn't have any mitsumi at the time) bought about 18months ago.
    As far as I'm aware both are still going strong.

I think they now do an external one as well.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 12th March 2007 at 07:29 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

you could always buy a all in one with a card reader already built in i bought one canon pixma mp150 absolutely brilliant you can get the usb cable for not a lot the Brother DCP130C from argos is good jsut as cheap to refil as canon not sure if it already comes with the usb or not though

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    I've recently purchased a laptop for my daughters room, which i want to link to my spare printer (Canon Pixma iP1600 Inkjet Printer). But the laptop doesn't have a printer port- only usb. I've seen a whole range of usb to printer converter items on both ebid and feepay- but i'm not sure which i should choose? Can anyone recommend a good usb to printer converter that will link my Toshiba laptop to my cannon printer?
    Hi Val,I think all you need is one of these http://www.mouse2house.co.uk/index.p...rodid=CB-USB02

There are a couple of auctions on here selling them.
    Last edited by bluebedouin; 12th March 2007 at 07:54 PM.

hi ithink what your after is a usb to printer cable like this http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/u...cable.htm#UP6C and as for card readers i bought one from hong kong for about 8 pounds and it works great. renchi.com sells them cheap

what ports can your printer accept if it is only a parelle port a long conection then you can get one for £6.35 at
    http://www.techfocus.co.uk/USB-Adapt...gles/TFA07.htm
    your best option for a card reader is an externel one unless you know how to fit an internal one.
    £5.99 here
    http://www.techfocus.co.uk/Memory-Ca...iter/TFA43.htm
    ebid rules and i am glad to be here

orcadian media

visit my online store
    orca-stores

jason

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll read through all the posts and take onn board your advice.

Thread Information