Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barclays Phishing E-Mails.

Default Barclays Phishing E-Mails.

I have had 2 e-mails supposed to be from Barclays today. The first titled :-
    "Barclays IBank Customer Notification" has a link to a Website. It warned me my account was about to be suspended due to a Security Update, and I was to confirm my details. IE 7 did not give any warning, but I noticed the page did not have the secure "padlock" on it. I wouldn't have given any information through the linked webpage anyway, but curiosity killed the cat, so I clicked on the link.
    The second arrived this evening titled
    " INTERNET BANK UPDATE"

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your identity.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

I loved the "choise" spelling, but was not fooled even "temporaly"!
    It also had a link. IE7 indicated this one was a Phishing Website.
    I don't actually have a Barclay's Account. I used to have a Barclaycard, but I officially cancelled that one some time ago..
    Last edited by dragonmist; 29th March 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmist View Post
    I have had 2 e-mails supposed to be from Barclays today. The first titled :-
    "Barclays IBank Customer Notification" has a link to a Website. It warned me my account was about to be suspended due to a Security Update, and I was to confirm my details. IE 7 did not give any warning, but I noticed the page did not have the secure "padlock" on it. I wouldn't have given any information through the linked webpage anyway, but curiosity killed the cat, so I clicked on the link.
    The second arrived this evening titled
    " INTERNET BANK UPDATE"

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your identity.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

I loved the "choise" spelling, but was not fooled even "temporaly"!
    It also had a link. IE7 indicated this one was a Phishing Website.
    I don't actually have a Barclay's Account. I used to have a Barclaycard, but I officially cancelled that one some time ago..
    There is no way on Earth i would've clicked that link, it might be a good idea to remove it from your post too, you never know, someone might try it & get caught out.
    In fact without having an account with them, i wouldn't even have opened the email, i'd have reported it as spam.

My auctions, good prices, fair p&p.

Laughing is good exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

i had few o those i just bin em
    "WALKING IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED"

View melboy's Feedback (+257)
    All-About melboy
    View melboy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT73 View Post
    i had few o those i just bin em
    ....so you are another Barclays Banker then bert?

I reported both to Barclay's. The first one still doesn't have the Phishing warning from IE7. The 2nd one does. Like I said. Curiosity killed the cat, and I didn't enter the non-existant details of an account I don't have.Anichka54 If anyone else wants to check that the Phishing Scam warning is working on IE7 are welcome to have a look. My mailguard stops any problems, and as I don't have an account with them I think I'm safe enough. If anyone wants to put their info on there after I have warned them it is a scam, they would have to be pretty dense. I haven't found many people on the KT as dense as that.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmist View Post
    I reported both to Barclay's. The first one still doesn't have the Phishing warning from IE7. The 2nd one does. Like I said. Curiosity killed the cat, and I didn't enter the non-existant details of an account I don't have.Anichka54 If anyone else wants to check that the Phishing Scam warning is working on IE7 are welcome to have a look. My mailguard stops any problems, and as I don't have an account with them I think I'm safe enough. If anyone wants to put their info on there after I have warned them it is a scam, they would have to be pretty dense. I haven't found many people on the KT as dense as that.
    errrrrrrrrm your last sentence there have been a few

i just had fun with it gave a load of fake number etc
    then it wanted some security questions
    which included dads name:- george best
    mum's name:- cher
    spouces name:- britney spears
    they near enought ask for every little detail of your life which i have to say there is no bank in this world that ask for as much info as they wanted.
    i checked out the main site and it a budist site?????
    that one got me.

as a matter of opinon i always have two email accounts one for everyday use and one for business and personal use which is given only to banks and officials and always out of reach of 3rd party databases.
    that way i can be sure if they are official or not.
    ebid rules and i am glad to be here

orcadian media

visit my online store
    orca-stores

jason

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

My dad gets loads of these and from RBS, shame he doesn't have an account with either

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

You only make matters worse by clicking on the link back to these phising sites because that way they know your email address actually exists, then you get even more.

They generate email addresses electronically and they are sent out in their thousands, its not a personal thing. I've even had one sent to me by my own email address which has obviously been picked up from my website.

Get a good anti spam program and trash the lot.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

I have a Spam filter, but I obviously can't set it to filter out all emails personally addressed to me. I do like to get some emails, and I wouldn't know for sure it was a scam until I opened it. My Mailguard sorts out known SPAM, and Trojans etc. automatically, but I have to read the others and click the "This is Spam" button. Then it filters them out. I was surprised to get 2 from "Barclay's" in one day. I normally get about 1 Phishing Scam every 6 months. I didn't put in the link on the first one because it doesn't trigger a warning.This morning the link on the IBank Customer Notification one is still not triggering the "Phishing Scam Warning" on IE 7.
    buttons-and-bows, I didn't say I hadn't found "any"
    KTers that dense, I did say not many.

Thread Information