eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Items to sell or lack there of.

Forum Newbie
    All-About DaiGalean
    View DaiGalean's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Items to sell or lack there of.

Well it has been exactly two days since I joined here. Done a lot of reading in the forums, and learned many things when it comes to the process of auctions, etc.

But where do people come up with all this stuff to sell?
    I have read about Drop selling, seems a bit strange to me.

The small business I started was creating handcrafted bespoke leather products, some have said to sell these on an auction but here in is a problem. I create items that a customer has asked for specifically. With the cost of leather in todays market and the mentality of people in todays world want cheep items never mind if they fall apart in a couple of months.. It was cheep.

So creating items to sell on a auction site and having them sit there for days on end would be very expensive for me. So what to do? Any thoughts?

I think I am being thick here but it just does not come to me where people can aquire so much stuff to sell. or am I missing something?
    Last edited by DaiGalean; 11th March 2008 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaiGalean View Post
    Well it has been exactly two days since I joined here. Done a lot of reading in the forums, and learned many things when it comes to the process of auctions, etc.

But where do people come up with all this stuff to sell?
    I have read about Drop selling, seems a bit strange to me.

The small business I started was creating handcrafted bespoke leather products, some have said to sell these on an auction but here in is a problem. I create items that a customer has asked for specifically. With the cost of leather in todays market and the mentality of people in todays world want cheep items never mind if they fall apart in a couple of months.. It was cheep.

So creating items to sell on a auction site and having them sit there for days on end would be very expensive for me. So what to do? Any thoughts?

I think I am being thick here but it just does not come to me where people can aquire so much stuff to sell. or am I missing something?
    Hi there!

Is every item you make different? The only reason I ask is that if you have photos of items you regularly make, you could list with those photos and make to order if that is possible.

I make cards and as I make new ones I photograph them and use my store like a catalogue to show all the types I do. That way I don't have masses of stock hanging around and it is great for when I sell toshops in my local town as I can point them to the store to see the full selection of cards.

I don't know whether it is helpful to you, but as it doesn't cost you until you sell - it is ideal!

All the best though!

Forum Newbie
    All-About DaiGalean
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrowlasCrafts View Post
    Hi there!

Is every item you make different? The only reason I ask is that if you have photos of items you regularly make, you could list with those photos and make to order if that is possible.
    Most of the time, yes everything is different, recently, I just made a one of Celtic belt with duel colours, and celtic conchos. Specific to what the customer requested. Making to order is what I do I just need to figure out then how to relay to people that it takes time to make these Items depending upon what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowlasCrafts View Post
    I make cards and as I make new ones I photograph them and use my store like a catalogue to show all the types I do. That way I don't have masses of stock hanging around and it is great for when I sell toshops in my local town as I can point them to the store to see the full selection of cards.
    hmm, thanks for the help I did not even consider this as a option. Just need time to work out how to do it then make some money to afford the account here to make a store. I knew I should have registered with my company name

Also very nice work on the cards btw.

DG

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Most of the time, yes everything is different, recently, I just made a one of Celtic belt with duel colours, and celtic conchos. Specific to what the customer requested. Making to order is what I do I just need to figure out then how to relay to people that it takes time to make these Items depending upon what they want.

hmm, thanks for the help I did not even consider this as a option. Just need time to work out how to do it then make some money to afford the account here to make a store. I knew I should have registered with my company name

DG
    ebid will change your user name if you ask them. Why don't you use ebid as a 'shop window' where you put up a few items you have already created, and also have some auctions for bespoke items that you will create for the auction winner.
    hen the buyer wins the auction - they send you payment in advance- so you won't get stuck with an item created for someone who then didn't pay.

DG
    Thanks DG! It is great to get feedback!

Forum Newbie
    All-About DaiGalean
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    ebid will change your user name if you ask them. Why don't you use ebid as a 'shop window' where you put up a few items you have already created, and also have some auctions for bespoke items that you will create for the auction winner.
    hen the buyer wins the auction - they send you payment in advance- so you won't get stuck with an item created for someone who then didn't pay.

Thank you for the help also Hanna, I will need to sit down tonight and work out a plan of action for this. Best to be prepared ahead of time so I know who, what,and when.. Dividing my time between learning here and making the boots order I have.

Also he would have to make it clear that the items are done when ordered and take a bit of time. Everything he does is hand made. For example the boots he is making now, he's made me a pair before this, take about the longest of anything else he has done to date, as it is all hand stitched.
    That Celtic belt took 3 days to tool, one day of paint/finish/buffing then a day or two to dry.

In your experiences would people wait a week, or so, for an item they buy through eBid to be made?

Is it possible to have a half-finished item ready to be finalized by custom-specs? That way, seller could auction a custom made item which only needs the finishing touches to be supplied by the buyer in Comments. And hopefully those finishing touches would not take long, so that might mean that the item is almost nearly completed.

Is there an easy way to make a bunch of such "blank templates" quickly?

I think as long as you make it clear in your listings that Custom made items are made to order only, & give a rough timeline most people will understand that they will need to wait for the item to be finished.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

One good thing is you products will go on Google so long as you dont do 3day listings make them at least 10 day or mix them up.

Thread Information