eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bank Fraud Warning

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

WARNING OF A NEW 'VISHING' SCAM
    Fraudsters have started to a new scam to get people to hand over their personal information.
    In the US there have been many reports about an identity theft scam known as ‘vishing’.
    Vishing operates along the same lines as ‘phishing’ emails, which have increased dramatically in recent years.
    With phishing, fake emails appear to have been sent by a site such as eBay or PayPal or your bank, but links embedded within the emails direct you to a fake website which looks similar to the real thing.
    These sites will then ask for personal information in order to steal your identity.
    With ‘vishing’, you're contacted by email or text message and told there has been a security problem and you need to call your bank to reactivate a credit or debit card.
    When you call the telephone number, you get a recorded message such as ‘Welcome to the bank etc’. You're then asked to enter your card number and personal details.
    Please beware of emails, telephone calls, or text messages requesting you hand over your personal information, the banks already have this information on record and will never contact you for it.
    If you're emailed or phoned by your bank, use its normal contact numbers from a telephone directory or a printed letter to confirm whether the message is genuine.
    A phishing email this week from Nat West Bank referring to ‘Online Form Released’ which requires you to complete a Nat West Online Form to keep your banking details up to date. The link goes to a website in Carlsbad, California and has an advertisement for an ‘Internet Marketing System’ if you give your personal details. Also a Halifax Legal Solutions email claiming that a new system called i38-BankSecure will establish a secure link to your bank. It also claims ‘sequel to our new security measures, our records indicate that you account was withered and has upshot an internal error in our processor’! The link led to a site owned by Fiet Assistance in the Russian Federation
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    I'm always getting these sort of things - usually from banks where I don't even have an account!

I just bin them. I used to take the time to forward them to the bank's fraud dept. but can't be bothered any more. If the banks actually got their act together and all used the same format for their fraud email addresses - such as fraud @XYZbank.co.uk - then it would make life easier, but having to go and search through dozens of HELP pages until I find out where to send stuff is just too much effort when I am doing them a favour.
    Ur not wrong there Damian,it makes sense to have an address you can contact immediatly.Have had dozens myself,like you without having an account with them.Not to mention the dark side and their payment allies.....

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz View Post
    Me too - get these on a daily basis. Most of them are banks I don't bank with but my bank has come up a few times. I know to ignore them and if there was a message I would check via logging in through the correct route that I go through on the bank's proper website!

But it is so easy for some people - especially if new to the PC - to just go ahead and do it.

We should all click on the links and give incorrect information - that will keep the fraudsters busy for a while!
    but Karen doing anything at all will divulge info bout you that you would prefer them not to have......

Quote Originally Posted by Cocksparrer View Post
    I had a call from someone today on my mobile whilst out canvassing, they claimed to be from Accident helpline. They wanted to know if id had an accident lately. Of course I had but wasnt going to divulge that until I was sure. He said he could claim back any losses I may have incurred, I thought well my insurer will do that anyway. I said to him "Who asked you to phone me" He replied "Your husband" I responded "Im not married" & hung up. They think I was born yesterday so you lot also be wary. Dont hand out any info via phone door canvassers even emails.
    Hey sparrer,that was the hubba hubba guy you ogled tother day,looks like he has the hots for you now,but funny how coincidences could have been influential.Good evening BTW......

Quote Originally Posted by Cocksparrer View Post
    I had a call from someone today on my mobile whilst out canvassing, they claimed to be from Accident helpline. They wanted to know if id had an accident lately. Of course I had but wasnt going to divulge that until I was sure. He said he could claim back any losses I may have incurred, I thought well my insurer will do that anyway. I said to him "Who asked you to phone me" He replied "Your husband" I responded "Im not married" & hung up. They think I was born yesterday so you lot also be wary. Dont hand out any info via phone door canvassers even emails.
    Accident? Losses? Should I do my sales pitch now or later??? LOL

There is a lot of talk about cloning cards. Someone used my CC # to try to order a £250 phone plus a year's contract from Carphone Warehouse saying they would pick it up. My Bank vetoed the sale. I only use that card on PayPal which the Bank has on record. Apart from registering it with PayPal, the card has never been out of the house, and is kept in a locked safe, so unless someone at Paypal leaked the number, or PayPal was hacked, how did they get my number? I was issued with a new card, and registered it with PayPal. It is now in the safe.

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Get Back at The Phishers

I often use this site when I have a bit of time to spare and am fed up with spammers and phishers.

http://www.phishfighting.com/

Send them a dose of their own medicine.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

I get so used to ignoring all the emails I get asking me to confirm my details, I actually got a genuine one from google checkout a few months bag and deleted it along with the rest. I noticed the other day that my google payments hadn't been going to my bank account and they had stopped the payments as I hadn't replied to the email! Surely they should have a message when you log in to checkout informing you that you need to confirm some details on your account.

Thread Information