Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice re. car accident

Default Advice re. car accident

My daughter was out in her car yesterday and had a knock. It happened on a roundabout.

She was going round the roundabout - and someone hit her on her right hand side. He has dented her car badly but only has a scratch on his car.

Anyway, he said she was in the wrong as she was in the wrong lane. I am not sure if she was or wasn't (she says not), but even if she was, he still hit her and from what I understand, was turning left from the inside lane of the roundabout!

Would she be classed as in the wrong being on the outside lane when she shouldn't have been, or would he automatically be in the wrong for hitting (obviously not seeing) her?
    For personalised pop art, visit my shop: http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Happy-Brushstrokes

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

A very difficult one. She may have been in the right lane, depending on where she was going, but if the other driver was turning left then he should have been in an outside lane and not need to cut across any traffic. It would suggest he was at fault, but as ever in these cases she would need witnesses otherwise it could be her word against his.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry to hear of your daughter's accident and hope she is okay, even if the car isn't...aaaaack!! I read your post with interest as here in the US you don't see all that many of those intersection systems. But up in the 'big city' north of here they have a ton of them, and I HATE THEM!! Good grief, it's like a free-for-all!! People whizzing in, whizzing out, cutting you off, you get so keyed in to not getting smacked by some joker trying to enter that you miss your turnoff and there ya go....having to go round the roundabout....again...

From the way you explained your daughter's situation I would think that jerk that hit her is in the wrong for sure...best of luck...hope the repairs aren't too high!

She is fine, thank you, and the driver of the other vehicle was very nice to her - got out and asked if she was OK etc. But then said "you were in the wrong lane" although he was on her right turning left!!!!

She had her boyfriend with her, who can state what happened. The other driver had a small (about 12 years) child with him, probably his son. So his son would probably be too young to be a witness, I don't know.
    For personalised pop art, visit my shop: http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Happy-Brushstrokes

View melboy's Feedback (+257)
    All-About melboy
    View melboy's Listings
    Forum Posts

..here is a scenario that may help u, nearby me is a four lane r/about, the 2 l/h lanes are for turning left only, the next lane is for going straight on, the far right lane is for turning right. If a person in either of the 2 l/h lanes decides to go straight on and gets hit then its their problem.

Some days you're the windscreen..others you're the fly.'ave it!

If exiting from a roundabout you need to be in the left hand lane. the procedure according to the highway code is Mirror, Signal, Manouver. The driver who hit your daughter is in the wrong. Before making a change of direction you should be aware of the traffic on the road about you and give your intentions to change direction in good time. ie By giving a signal so that other motorists are aware of what you are about to do. However in most cases like this the insurance companys will work on a knock for knock basis.
    Myositis in Focus : my website on the awareness of the Muscle inflammatory disease

My Daily Journal : my Daily Blog " Living with Dermatomyositis

Years Gone By My Genealogy and Family History store

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz View Post
    My daughter was out in her car yesterday and had a knock. It happened on a roundabout.

She was going round the roundabout - and someone hit her on her right hand side. He has dented her car badly but only has a scratch on his car.

Anyway, he said she was in the wrong as she was in the wrong lane. I am not sure if she was or wasn't (she says not), but even if she was, he still hit her and from what I understand, was turning left from the inside lane of the roundabout!

Would she be classed as in the wrong being on the outside lane when she shouldn't have been, or would he automatically be in the wrong for hitting (obviously not seeing) her?
    Other drivers fault NO DOUBT! You have to be a fool to join any Roundabout if there are any cars in Any lane coming!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

This was a two lane roundabout. If it's the roundabout I think it is from her description, there is no l/h ONLY. She said she wasn't going all the way round to the right, so she must have been going straight, which is left OR right lane onto the roundabout.

If the other person was turning left, he should have already got himself onto the left hand lane before the junction he was turning off at - I think (or so it sounds) is that he suddenly realised he needed to turn left, didn't see my daughter in his blind spot and turned into her.

She is going to talk to her insurance company today to see what they suggest. She is third party only so can only get her car fixed if it is deemed to be the other driver's fault. She said he had a tiny scratch so whether he would go ahead and attempt a claim on her we don't know.

She wants to claim on him for her dent, but we can't afford to go ahead with the claim if she stands to lose as she has only just passed her test and the insurance is mega high and she needs to build up some no claims. She can live with the dent if necessary as it's only an old car to start her off.

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

PS was it a POST OFFICE driver! Carrying away ALL the goodies they have stolen from ME! :

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Quote Originally Posted by Rednosty View Post
    PS was it a POST OFFICE driver! Carrying away ALL the goodies they have stolen from ME! :
    If it was, he should have WATCHED where he was going!

Thread Information