eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gazza..Help, Please...

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    My opinion- for what it's worth.
    "Thank you for your custom" is something a seller would say to a customer anywhere that English is the first language. It's in the .com dictionary and i've heard it on American TV programmes, so just because one or two US sellers are unfamiliar with the term, doesn't mean ebid should change it.
    Thank you for your business is similar- but does not mean exactly the same - and is not something I would say to one of my customers.
    I agree, well said

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree that there should not be changes just because someone does not like something. I am a 62 year old American who speaks only American English and I had never heard the term "Thank you for your custom" but I am not put off by it. It is not hard to understand where it comes from and we all need to make some adjustments.

I am just glad to be able to use this UK site and have made sales to the UK where that is acceptable on the invoice. On the sales to USA and Canada I have not received any complaints.

If you think there is anything that is not understood just put a sentence in the notes. I just type in thanks for bidding. Takes about 5 seconds and keeps everyone happy.

When I see so many requests for added categories I wonder if that won't make things more confusing and cluttered.

When I saw nappies mentioned in another thread I ask what they were and now I feel educated. Let's all keep learning from one another.

First - eBid is a great site!! I've made a few sales and am hoping to see the traffic grow. Good, got that in.

Now, I am in no way advocating that uk.ebid.net change how their invoices read accross the board. I am not advocating americanizing all of eBid across every site. And as an old dog, I can learn new tricks. But, does it make good sense to make our US patrons (buyers and sellers) jump through hoops of understanding? These differences being discussed can be a barrier to greater adoption on this side of the pond. I sell on this side of the pond. It matters to me. If there is a way to make the US.ebid.net face of the site reflect a more american feel, why not? Go to any .com dictionary and custom=business=patronage within this context. I can guarantee you more than just "one or two" US sellers have been confused with the word custom within the context of the phrase in question and the average US buyer will be as well. It's just not common usage for over here. Just as business is not common usage for over there. There are other examples (p&p vs s&h comes to mind). If UK folks want shops not stores, they should have shops or shoppes, or whatever word/spelling that is most correct.

In and of itself, is this one isolated issue "huge"? No, but each difference added together gives rise to confusion and could make the user experience less familiar and potentially create unease in the bidding/buying process. The site(s) should be designed and programmed in a way such that they are able to reflect the words/vernacular of the people for which they are targeted. My 2 cents. And again, I DO appreciate eBid greatly!
    DrCooper
    --------------------------------------

eBid Sign-up!

Thread Information