Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay introduces absolute anonymity for (shill) bidders

Forum Newbie
    Brighton-Le-Sands, New South Wales, Australia
    All-About PhilipCohen
    View PhilipCohen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs down eBay introduces absolute anonymity for (shill) bidders

In Australia, the UK, Ireland and the Philippines, eBay has obscured auction bidding to the point that genuine bidders have got absolutely no chance of detecting and thereby protecting themselves from “shill” bidding (a criminal offence in most civilized countries) by unethical vendors.

Notwithstanding eBay’s statements to the contrary, this application of absolute anonymity (ie, Bidder 1, Bidder 2, etc) by eBay on these sites serves absolutely no purpose other than to deceive consumers by making even any otherwise blatantly obvious shill bidding undetectable; and the same criticism has always been applicable to eBay’s other shill bidders’ facility, “User ID kept private”.

My concern then is not so much about the effectively bidder-specific anonymity (“a***b (n)”) now in use in the US and elsewhere (and which still allows genuine bidders the opportunity to watch for suspicious patterns of bidding) but with the absolute anonymity (“Bidder N”) in use in Australia, the UK, Ireland and the Philippines.

Again, notwithstanding eBay’s various pronouncements about shill bidding being banned on eBay, eBay is now, on these sites, effectively (and knowingly) “aiding and abetting” such shill bidders to defraud consumers. [more]

For those with a longer attention span, a lengthy critical analysis of this matter appears at:
    http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/ph...498345#6498345
    I apologise in advance for the length of this linked “rant”. Needless to say eBay would not tolerate it on their discussion forums and I have spent time on eBay’s “naughty chair” for posting links to it.

If you are an unethical shill-bidding seller or a buyer who is not concerned that on the above-mentioned national sites eBay is effectively “aiding and abetting” such shill-bidding sellers to cheat you, read no further.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have no sympathy for fleeBay, it's their own mess. As for shill bidding - it makes no difference really if people stick to their maximum bid. If shilling puts the price far above what it should be, then it's the shillers and sellers who will ultimately lose out, assuming that genuine bidders are sensible (ha!) then genuine money won't change hands.

So, if there are fewer bargains to be had from fleeBay, all the more reason for buyers to look elsewhere! I say, celebrate the madness and welcome the refugee bidders with open arms.

Face it, fleeBay is killing itself like an unstoppable drug-crazed whore, so why care?
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

"fleeBay is killing itself like an unstoppable drug-crazed whore"
    What an excellent description, and so true.
    I believe their share price has dropped a further 15% as well. Down to a low of $24. It was not so long ago at $40.
    They have some serious problems over there, and I think they run deeper than the symptoms that we are seeing.

if you go onto the boards over there you get torn to pieces within seconds.

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterward2000 View Post
    if you go onto the boards over there you get torn to pieces within seconds.
    What do you expect? A lot of those forum lurkers are desperate, like a pack of starving hyenas.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCohen View Post
    My concern then is not so much about the effectively bidder-specific anonymity (“a***b (n)”) now in use in the US and elsewhere (and which still allows genuine bidders the opportunity to watch for suspicious patterns of bidding) ...
    I'm just as concerned about that kind of anonymity. In the past I've been able to spot scam auctions by looking at previous closed auctions of the scammer and spotting suspicious patterns of bidding and feedback. You need the full bidder's moniker to do that.

I strongly agree with you, e-bay is ruining itself. But why would they care, they get listing and FVF fees from scammers. They consistently do things to boost their profits and only take action in users' favour when publicity becomes overwhelmingly embarrassing.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

I had noticed that bidder 1 2 etc but thought it was only on items £100 or more

G'Day and welcome Phillip

I left the darkside and have more or less got over the traumas of what is happening over there and have setlled here in eBid where the problem of shill bidding is lessened because here you can have only one ID (If you want another you have to have a very good reason and apply for it).

I no longer fire up the PC in the morning wondering if my account is still intact,.
    I can be open and honest and just get on with selling my stuff.

Come on over......The price is right.....Ebay will reap what it has sown.....

So unless you are a shareholder or have a huge amount invested.... come over here and start again and CHILL!
    Click to open The Allsorts Cupboard

Widen your search Horizons
    Find it on eBid
    Click here to join the fun for FREE

This has been in force for a while now - and it has affected sales dramatically because buyers don't know if they can trust the seller or not.

I still sell regularly over there, but I must say that my items don't fetch the same final values as they used to do. Whether it's this bidder 1,2 business or whether there are other factors involved, such as less disposable income, I don't know.

Thread Information