My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Footy and Baseball at Gilfidian Rudge

Default Footy and Baseball at Gilfidian Rudge

Today will see the 8000th listing appear across the three Gilfidian Rudge Stores.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Footy

We now have over 4200 football items listed in the Football Emporium including today’s featured programme…..

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...4-0&mo=auction

Eee I remember them trips to Skeggy on the Jolly Fisherman …..and on the coach with fellow Arna supporters going to watch The Saints take on the Lillywhites at Burgh Road …..game of Arnold Palmer ….the Penguins at Nature land ….polling down the Pubs along Lumley Road spreading us sen out a bit so’s not to look like a gang
    Any road ….just £1.50 (plus p&p) buys you a rare Skeggy prog from March 1968 - over forty year ago when they entertained the much missed Loughborough United……. I say it’s rare cause all the other copies were used to wrap up the local fish n chips.
    --------------------------------------------
    Baseball:-

Over 3600 Baseball cards now available in our UK Baseball Store …..postage a flat 60p …..just 60p per order no matter how many baseball items you purchase …..blimey I’ll just go and check that with our finance department ……..yes it’s right …..just 60p postage per baseball order …… which is perhaps why we’re charging £3.25 for this very snazzy, and highly collectible Ichiro cover from 2001.…

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...9-3&mo=auction

As for all them blinkin’ cards he’s made us list….. as our proprietor Gilly ……

.........always says:- ‘With well over a million baseball cards now produced one man’s common is another man’s needle in a haystack’

Default Lots of things happened at Gretna over the Years...

For many Football Collectors the choice of what first to collect comes quite naturally….they collect their own club ….this can be a trifle samey for fans of say Aston Villa (for example) who have stayed more or less in the same division for yonks.

…..after awhile a bit of variety is often required and many then look around for another interesting team to adopt ……. There can’t be many more ‘interesting’ team then Gretna FC!

Formed in 1946 they started life in the Dunfries and District Junior League before quickly joining the Carlisle and District League. In 1982 they moved to the Northern League and then onto the Northern Premier in 1992. After twice applying to get into the Scottish Football League (93 & 99) they finally gained access to the Scottish League Div Three for the 02/03.

Their rapid rise from there is as equally documented as their sudden demise last season which sees them now lining up in the East Of Scotland Football League Div One alongside the likes of classic Highland names like Gala Fairydean and Hawick Royal Albert.

What a roller coaster ….and what a wide variety of programmes to be had ….including of course a Scottish Cup Final issue in 2006.
    We’ve had dozens of Gretna issues go through our hands in the last few months ….currently we have three on our e-Bid shelves including today’s featured programme…..

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1211370247-3017-0&mo=auction

Not sure Alfreton Town fans will be too impressed by the spelling!

Only two Gretna progs in my personal collection mind ….those being an FA Cup 1st Q tie and replay against my own club back in 1996 ….no wonder they went out of business the amount of free whiskey they were dishing out at their place!

Oh well….time to get the dogs out of that last bit of shade they’re clinging on to here……

Paddy & Dexter....waiting..........

Default The Art of Skimming

Back in 1971 if you wanted to keep hold of your footy card collection you had to be a dab hand at the art of ‘skimming’

Basically the rules were each player had an equal number of footy cards and took it in turn to ‘skim’ them (flicking between index and middle finger) towards a nearby wall. The player who’s card was ruled to have landed nearest to the wall picked up all the cards as his.

Once bored with this you could go for the alternative rule which was to see who could bounce their cards furthest back from the wall………. And collectors today wonder why it’s often hard to find clean cards without any damaged edges!!!!

Thankfully some did survive the rigours of skimming in pretty good order…..like today’s featured item……

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1206268173-7044-0&mo=auction

This AB&C Orange Back collection is THE set for me …..as a 10 year old I recall that our whole world virtually revolved around collecting, swapping and yes ‘skimming’ these cards.

Little did I know that a year or so later me dear ol’ Mum would kill off my love of cards by suddenly deciding to burn the whole blinkin lot!!!!!

Dread to think how much they would have been worth today.

Took me a good many years to be able to bring my self to restructure the set of Orange Backs…..took a whole lot of deals on various auction sites to get the job done …..thanks Mum!!!………And not a strip of bubble gum in sight!

Gilly

Default 178 FA Cup Progs for sale …..and counting…

So far we’ve managed to list 178 FA Cup progs on e-Bid and I must admit whenever we’re sifting through possible stock to put on the site I always give priority to FA Cup items.

Collecting FA Cup programmes in there entirety is not something I would ever recommend …there’s 100s of FA Cup programmes issued all over the country each season before we even reach the 1st Rnd Proper.

Personally I stuck to one season’s FA Cup programmes ….1977/78 (mainly because that was the last time my own club GOT to the 1st Rnd stage!) ….. The folder holding that collection together is certainly bulging but by no means complete.

The beauty of FA Cup progs is that they come in all shapes and sizes ….from the modest 4 pager right up to that monster issue at Wembley which you need a to wheelbarrow to cart home if you happen to buy one or two extra for your mates back home.

But one thing you’re guaranteed is that from Arnold to Arsenal EVERY club sees an FA Cup game as one of the highlights of the season

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...2-0&mo=auction

In today's featured prog we see Bangor getting a tad carried away with the visit of Blackpool ...... any excuse to put Sir Stanley Matthews on your cover!!!

Default Programme Collector’s Bible

For such a small niche hobby Football Programme Collectors have been well served over the years, particularly with ‘Programme Monthly’ which has been lovingly reporting on the hobby in some style for almost thirty years now

At the moment we have 123 back issues of the magazine available for sale in our Emporium. Always well illustrated and highly informative the magazine’s content never loses it’s relevance to the reader no matter how long ago they were written.

I always like to search the classified as well….looking for my adverts from over 20 years ago ….still have the master copy of my very first typed and photocopied catalogue …unfortunately still have one or two of the programmes listed in it languishing in the stock room as well!

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1216895251-22777-0&mo=auction

Postage on PM - 60p first issue and then just 10p per additional issue ordered.

Thread Information