eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for knitters and other crafts people....

Quote Originally Posted by ejean9 View Post
    Doh...have to ask..whats an eyelash scarf ??

eyelash yarn

http://www.angelyarns.com/sirdar/knit.php/yarn/309

Omnia Probate Optima Tenete

Music changed to The Script

Forum Lurker
    View zapit65's Feedback (+57)
    All-About zapit65
    View zapit65's Listings
    Forum Posts

I seldom by yarns online as there are so many local places that sell it. However I have occaisionaly bought online if I just can't find what I'm looking for locally or I just see something that I "gotta have." I do browse the yarns sections sometimes just in case I see that something special. It's not worth paying the shipping price though if I can find it local.

I usually use acrylics, cotton, wool/acrylic blends, or cotton/acrylic blends. Don't usually like the 100% wools as they are too itchy for me however they are nice for things that aren't going to be right next to my skin like a purse.
    Just got through making a nice very soft scarf with some baby alpaca that my mom gave me and a nice beret with a wool/acrylic blend. I would like to do something out of the new yarns I see like bamboo, soy/cotton. My mom did a baby's washcloth out of the soy/cot and it's amazing how soft it is. Don't usually use the fancy novelty yarns as they are sometimes called like the eyelash or ones with lots of bumps or fuzziness.

I knit and crochet both, by the way, and tend to do more of the latter. Also mostly use aluminum needles or hooks but it depends on the yarn. I may occaisonally use a very nice plastic (I have some vintage ones, nothing like the newer) or wood (especially for socks).

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ejean9 View Post
    Doh...have to ask..whats an eyelash scarf ??
    (it's KLJ shorthand really) sorry, should have said scarf made with eyelash yarn. You didn't think I meant a scarf made of eyelashes did you?

Quote Originally Posted by sleekpony View Post
    Thanks Sleek - there you go eJean!

Hi Zapits and thanks for replying.
    The new "green" & natural yarns sound good. I will definitely keep those in mind..
    I agree with the itchy wool bit... It's OK for heavy winter wear over say a soft turtle necked jumper but I hate the feel next to my skin... and invevitably someone always bungs them in a boil wash!!!!
    Click to open The Allsorts Cupboard

Widen your search Horizons
    Find it on eBid
    Click here to join the fun for FREE

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klj View Post
    (it's KLJ shorthand really) sorry, should have said scarf made with eyelash yarn. You didn't think I meant a scarf made of eyelashes did you?

Thanks Sleek - there you go eJean!
    lol..you two..of course i didnt think it was made of eyelashes ()..i just couldnt visulise it ?

View cepher0's Feedback (+700)
    All-About cepher0
    View cepher0's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redmerlin777 View Post
    If you use wool or similar yarns what sort do you buy most of?

Wool, cotton, silk or acrylic.
    Fancy yarns with knobbles or fringy bits
    Sparkly or metallic
    4 ply baby stuff

Do you buy on the cone or in balls?
    From your local wool shop or on line?
    Or do you just go for a bargain then look for a pattern that would suit ?

yes! It's a rough piece of market research. I don't knit much now myself and I am always a little bemused at the huge variety of yarns available now.

Are there any sort of yarns that you have difficulty getting hold of?

Any information would be most useful.
    Thank you.
    Hi there Red,

I used to knit Icelandic 'on the yolk' jumpers and cardigans for the whole family using Icelandic Samband Lopi Wool which were fantastic, Pure Lopi Wool is showerproof so 'woolies' made from it can be worn throughout the later spring and early summer weeks, and also the most of the autumn time and early winter weeks without having to worry about waterproofs or extra outerware. It is a double-double knit wool so knits up very fast on circular needles in no time at all.

Unfortunately i can't find 'True' Samband Lopi Wool anywhere now, there are lots of Lopi wools around but they are not the showerproof ones, they are just called Lopi because they are thick wool.

If you can find any of this along with the 'Samband Icelandic Patterns' patterns i will be ecstatic. It would take me a week or more now to knit a jumper or cardigan instead of 2/3 days but for me it would be well worth it for the benefit of having them for years to come.

Take care,

Hugs, Arline xxx

Great Card Making and Scrapbooking Goodies at Low Low Prices. In Store Now

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=The-Scrapbook-Crafters-Carousel

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I used to knit and crochet a great deal, not so much now that the children have left home. I own 3 knitting machines, countless needles and hooks and even more yarn (which is at the moment stored in boxes in a garage) I love knitting aran patterns and am always looking for victims. I do use acrylic yarn because it's cheap even though it doesn't last so long. But then I am probably fed up with the garment in a year or two ( I just remembered the teddy I knittd from eyelash yarn. He needs sewing up, maybe tomorrow)

Thread Information