eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm seeing a problem

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stitchysyl View Post

I don't subscribe to this...pass on the fees savings to the buyer thing...
    the reason sellers are here is that THEY can save on fees...so as long as they list at a reasonable price and what they would ask for elsewhere I don't see why they should be made to feel they should charge less for an item than they would normally.

But thats my opinion...and others I know will disagree...
    I do entirely agree with this.

A business decision should be made for business reasons which may or may not involve setting the price to undercut eB-y.

Forum Lurker
    View GCTSpares's Feedback (+2)
    All-About GCTSpares
    View GCTSpares's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not currently selling car parts here, but when I was I did put a higher price here because over there I could more or less guarantee that the item would be bid up to a good price, here I could not be certain of selling at all. For an example - car seats, start them there at £50 and would expect to get around £100, sometimes more and yes sometimes I wouldn't get what I expected but that was rare. Starting higher on that site did not attract the first bidders. Here its very different, no bidding wars so that price has to be more realistic, although here I was putting them up at the minimum I would expect to get. If I put things up at the here at the starting price there or lower I would be making a loss.
    Trying selling other things here now instead and may restart car parts in a few months. So far I've only sold two items - both car parts!

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

POINT ONE.. YOU CAN'T STOP SELLERS ASKING WHAT THEY WANT
    POINT TWO...THE GOLDEN RULE OF SELLING ANYTHING IS TO ASK FOR AS MUCH AS YOU CAN

I am Guilty as charged Basically because I made a mistake in my pricing on here and I cant go looking through 1000 auctions to change them so I wait till they close after the 10 relists and then I am reducing the prices!

Having said that A few items I did increase the price of and they Sold ??? Wierd!!!

But overhaul I am reducing prices. to Less then I sell on Thiefbay!

PS fancy some fun http://uk.ten.ebid.net/perl/auction....416348-22413-0 (Would I plug on here? Yep)

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

The whole reason I moved over here was to keep my prices down. I do however still purchase from stealbay as items are not available here, or are more expensive.
    It stands to reason if I pay more then I have to charge moreI don't want to do that.
    All said I will post occasionally on the dark side to keep my customers interested and send out my e-bid shops, so as to build up the profile for everyone.
    Out of 7 items I have sold 5 are new users so something is working.

Quote Originally Posted by klj View Post
    Ask them why! I keep hearing that some sellers listed their BIN price here, and a lesser price elsewhere as they expected to get more bids elsewhere. Yet, in the end they have been willing to sell for less once there is an interest. So ask them for a better price here.
    Ask them why?
    If I got an email from a buyer asking why I charged more here, they would be immediately blackballed. It has nothing to do with them.

As it happens, I charge the same on all sites I list on. I have a set retail price for all my items.
    I agree with several others on this thread - the lower fees are for the sellers benefit as far as I am concerned.

Not sure this thread will look for Ebid tho - buyers read the forums too.

I think there are three main reasons for why this happens here.

1. Many of the sellers here are small or part time sellers. They do not have the same bulk buying power as many of the bigger sellers over there. Therefore the items they have will probably have cost them more to start with, so they need to sell for a higher price to see a decent return on their outlay.

2. Many of the sellers here will buy items when they are new to the market. Items which are new to the market will cost more than when they've been around for some time. Since the auctions here can be listed forever, and many of them have been around for quite some time, it is often the case that the item was originally bought and/or priced at the "new" price and just haven't been sold since then.

3. There is quite a lot of competition over there. Many sellers feel the need to low price their items to gain any chance of a sale. They would prefer to sell at a higher price, but a little profit is better than none. Over here they don't see the same level of competition and try to gain the highest level of profit from a higher sale price.

Yes, before I get loads of "ah, but ...." responses, I know these three suggestions do not cover every possible reason/seller/auction and there will be many other reasons for high prices.
    Last edited by damian_steele; 19th October 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I thought one of eBid's selling points for this site to sellers was that we gained higher profits because of the low fees

I have seen similar products to mine on sale over there for half of what I pay the wholesaler - makes me wonder where the feebay sellers buy their stock

A VERY successful businessman advised me that to price my items too low can make the buyer think I am selling cheap tat.

One supplier wanted me to pay £19 for a brooch and said the retasil price is £30. I didnt buy from him - went to my usual supplier who charges much less and said to charge what I wanted.

Personally, I wouldnt pay £30 for any of my brooches on any site

Sir Alan Sugar doesnt price his stuff based on what he pays - if he pays less he gets more profit and he doesnt have problems selling.

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

i keep my prices as low as possible..and check against prices over on fleebay..in fact..if i lower my prices anymore..id be as well giving them away..
    if i put the same items over on fleebay dearer...they sell..dosent make sense..

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    Ask them why?
    If I got an email from a buyer asking why I charged more here, they would be immediately blackballed. It has nothing to do with them.

As it happens, I charge the same on all sites I list on. I have a set retail price for all my items.
    I agree with several others on this thread - the lower fees are for the sellers benefit as far as I am concerned.

Not sure this thread will look for Ebid tho - buyers read the forums too.
    A lot of the sellers here are also buyers. I buy from here so can see both sides of the coin.

I welcome a debate which is open and lets me understand a little better the reasons for the differences in pricing etc between this and other sites.

Without open discussion then the buyer has to assume whatever they want...at least here on eBid we can have these discussions.

I would think that anything that shows buyers that we are trying to be fair would be of benefit to the site...and I have seen nothing in this thread that even hints of anyone trying to do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by quadilicious View Post
    have seen the same thing

keep buying over there because

1) Its dearer here
    2) item is not listed here
    3) i,m to lazy to go into town

I agree with Quadilicous, i've been winning DVD boxsets over there for well under a fiver (including the postage). Yet here, either I can't find them or they are listed around twenty quid plus postage.

Be interesting to see what happens in January, when free p&p, on Dvd's comes into play, over there
    Welcome to Wonderland

SantasWonderland DVD Grotto

SantasWonderland Vinyl & CD Grotto

All round entertainment, not just for Christmas

Join EBID now and join in all the fun yourself

Thread Information