Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Under Caution

Default Under Caution

Recieved a letter today from the council, I've got to attend the offices on thursday as an allegation has been made against me under housing benefit and council tax benefit fraud. When I arrive they will put me under caution and depending on my answers I could recieve a criminal prosecution.

I'm on Jobseekers allowance and have been since 2003 as employers where I am are not interested in giving me a chance to prove myself. I have also been doing casual work which the jobcentre knows about. (casual work = only working when required by employer) and only done 2 days work in 2 months.

So when they said about it being an allegation against me, I am assuming its because I reported someone for evading the bailiffs for outstanding rent in 2004 and they're the one's who's made this allegation. The council have said they won't discuss it in person or over the telephone until I attend in person on 6th.

What would you say is my rights over this?

No idea about your rights. But I do recommend that you go down to the Citizens Advice Center and find out. The more you know before you go in to the council, the better.

I'm sorry that I can't advise on this as I've never been in your situation. Maybe someone else who reads your post is / has been and they may know better. Someone reporting anyone for trying to better themselves is beyond my understanding.

The only suggestion that I can make would be to talk to your citizens advise bureau - I understand they are a free of charge service, and should be well up on all benefits etc.

I know its not much, but I hope it helps.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

As long as you've done nothing wrong and declared all income and savings etc to the benefit section, then you've got nothing to worry about.

This sort of thing used to happen regularly when I worked for a housing department. Thing is they have to follow up all accusations whether true or not,
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

I'd take all your paperwork from teh Job Centre and get down tothe CAB. They'll have experience of this. And keep your head up - they probably have to take this apporach on the off-chance. You should have nothing to worry about.

Stix N String - providing 100% of your recommended daily yarn allowance

PROUD supporters of Ebid - no fees = more yarn for your money

why would you want to report someone for evading the baillifs, thats the whole point to evade them, anyway im thinking KARMA !!!!!

Like Fossy 7 said, if everything has been declared and the correct departments informed, then there's nothing to worry about.

With regard to payment you keep the first £10, but everything over is deducted from what ever benefit you receive. Unless it's changed from two years ago?

Any way just be honest with them, and good luck
    Welcome to Wonderland

SantasWonderland DVD Grotto

SantasWonderland Vinyl & CD Grotto

All round entertainment, not just for Christmas

Join EBID now and join in all the fun yourself

Not sure about rights, but if you fail to attend then your housing & council tax benefit will both be stopped from that date, they may even back date the stoppage from the date the allegation was made.

CAB is your first step or a solicitor that deals with these sort of cases.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just a thought , have you declared any earnings from eBid or elsehwere?....if you have been on thany other site ??............

earnings? what earnings? not sold anything on ebid but have bought a couple of items on ebid, sold 1 item on T*zbar and sold nothing from my online webstore, and earnings from my casual job was £45 over a 2 month period

Thread Information