Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding dogs

Default Feeding dogs

To those of you with dogs - WHEN do you feed them their main meal, and WHAT do you feed them? Badge - a Jack Russell - is on dry food which seems to suit her fine, but I imagine could become a bit boring.

I was reading up on the BARF - bones and raw food - diet last night on the Jack Russell forum and a lot of owners use the BARF principles.
    http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Our German Shepherd is always fed on dried food, but then again they do have sensitive stomachs.

One of our previous dogs, a Dobermann loved vegetables and she ate all of our peelings, cuttings and left over veg's with her biscuits along with fresh tripe. She lived to be a ripe old age.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

My mum has 2 dogs, one German Shepherd and the other a mixture of god knows what lol. Both are fed together on dried food which they do well on, they do get given scraps as well, particularly like the scraps from Sunday lunch and are fed around 1pm as that is when I go down there. They are outdoor dogs and my mum is disabled and can't feed them herself.

I also have 2 dogs, Alsation X Collie and Boxer X Labrador, both big dogs and they are also fed on dried food. They normally get fed around midnight, but they do have a little bit to nibble on during the day if they want it. Again they don't have a problem with it.

The only important thing to remember is they must have plenty of water, which of course they should have anyway

View mrsandman's Feedback (+518)
    All-About mrsandman
    View mrsandman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi

I have a Collie x Lab . I feed her Chappie about 9-10 am. She has dried food throughout the day and as her ' last Supper' about 6 pm.. and she still hovers around ... No Worms , just very greedy

When I got Charlie my KCS from Battersea almost 3 years ago, he was extremely overweight and they said to put him on a diet. My own vet said not to be too drastic but to cut back portion sizes gradually, allowing his stomach to shrink rather than diet food, and to feed dry food as opposed to tinned because its better for his teeth.
    He has a daily allowance of dried food divided into 2 meals, morning and evening, a carrot at lunchtime and a dentistix or similar which we call his toothbrush (he understands that) about 9.30pm.
    He would still eat more if he could, but King Charles are renowned to be greedy anyway.

i personally feed my staffordshire bull terrier on butchers canned dog food, it does stink a bit but she loves it lol, also she gets scraps from sunday dinner etc, and what ever the kids decide they dont want, but basically she will eat anything exept cucumber lol, she is getting on now nearly 12 but is fit as a fiddle, and will run anywhere if im out on the pushiron (bike), i had her at the vets a few weeks ago for a health check and the vet was very impressed with her condition and fitness for her age, so from my experience its what a dog will eat (almost anything) lol,

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Our chocolate lab, Algie, and springer, Freddie, are fed twice on dried food - 9 and 2 - the lab has the MOST sensitive stomach I've ever come across so it is the same food in the same quantities with almost no kitchen scraps (he's allowed apple cores which he adores). The Springer has the constitution of a .. I would say horse but they are sensitive.. so of a Springer (!) and can eat anything (ten day dead magpie anyone? It didn't make him sick and he ate all the feathers as well) but I can't face feeding two different diets so he has the same as Algie

Dogs don't get bored with food - they are not people in fur coats. They will, however, often learn to be fussy if you let them.

All those fancy foods in different flavours are created by Pet food manufacturers to extract money from your purse not for the benefit of pets.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Nr. Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View e_nviable's Feedback (+584)
    All-About e_nviable
    View e_nviable's Listings
    Forum Posts

Charlie (the Yorkshire Terror(!))

http://helpdesk.ebid.net/group.php?d...&pictureid=619
    has a daily allowance of Iams. It's put down for him about 10am and he just helps himself throughout the day. He's recently been banished from the room during mealtimes as he's becoming very bossy and LOUD when begging for scraps. It's soooooooo easy to overfeed a dog though and I don't want to damage his health.

I agree with madelaine too ....... all the pet food manufacturers are interested in is parting you from your money

e

View mrsandman's Feedback (+518)
    All-About mrsandman
    View mrsandman's Listings
    Forum Posts

I had to laugh at the lost post re Charlie.... I am going to admit Poppy ( bless her) seems to walk aroud holding her stomach in whenever I have company... This often leads to ..." oh bless are you hungry" followed by " hmm is she crossed with with a Lurcher ? as she does seems slim"... She has managed to hold her stomach in , walk with a sigh, plus being a brave little Soldier ,,,,,

my scully gets some dried and a tin of butchers or winalot at 4pm

shes a 12yr old staff cross and other than parvo virus when she was 8 mths and an infection from a sting 2 yrs ago she hasnt needed a vet and she runs round the park like a loony

Click the pic to see my auctions

New auctions added

Please check them out

Thread Information