My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Any advice on postal orders?

Default Any advice on postal orders?

Hi does anyone know if a postal order can be tracked to see if it has been cashed and what town??
    As we have sent a postal order recently, and the seller claims he has not received it, i just wondered if i could trace it. How would i go about it??
    Thanks

Default Any advice on postal orders?

Hi does anyone know if a postal order can be tracked to see if it has been cashed and what town??
    As we have sent a postal order recently, and the seller claims he has not received it, i just wondered if i could trace it. How would i go about it??
    Thanks

Default Re: Any advice on postal orders?

I haven't done this for years, so my information may be out of date.

You can initiate a trace through the PO. Go along to a post office and get a form. You fill in the numbers from the stubs, who it was made payable to, etc.

I haven't done this for years, so my information may be out of date.

You can initiate a trace through the PO. Go along to a post office and get a form. You fill in the numbers from the stubs, who it was made payable to, etc.

If it was crossed it should be easy to trace as it will have to go through someone's bank account.

If it wasn't, it's not so easy. They may be able to tell you which town but you'll have no proof that it was the person you sent it to rather than a rogue postie or even someone who has stolen a handful of mail while the postie's back was turned.

Either way, ask for a P58 form at any Post Office, fill it in and send it off with a photocopy of the counterfoils.

They will investigate and let you know of the outcome.

If it was crossed and found to have been paid out incorrectly, you'll get your money back.
    If it wasn't but hasn't yet been cashed, you may get a refund BUT they can ask for you to repay that money if it is subsequently encashed.

Refunds are not normally given for uncrossed Postal Orders sent through the ordinary mail as they are treated as cash and no ID is required to get payment (unless the clerk feels suspicious or their are any alterations to it).

Good luck

CJ (I dabble in the dark arts of Postofficery by day)
    Is it over yet?

If it was crossed it should be easy to trace as it will have to go through someone's bank account.

If it wasn't, it's not so easy. They may be able to tell you which town but you'll have no proof that it was the person you sent it to rather than a rogue postie or even someone who has stolen a handful of mail while the postie's back was turned.

Either way, ask for a P58 form at any Post Office, fill it in and send it off with a photocopy of the counterfoils.

They will investigate and let you know of the outcome.

If it was crossed and found to have been paid out incorrectly, you'll get your money back.
    If it wasn't but hasn't yet been cashed, you may get a refund BUT they can ask for you to repay that money if it is subsequently encashed.

Refunds are not normally given for uncrossed Postal Orders sent through the ordinary mail as they are treated as cash and no ID is required to get payment (unless the clerk feels suspicious or their are any alterations to it).

Good luck

CJ (I dabble in the dark arts of Postofficery by day)
    Is it over yet?

Thanks for your help :lol: :lol:

Thread Information