Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another paypal horror story

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayl1 View Post
    NO it isn't. Having worked for a contract post office in the US we were NOT even to ask what was in the package other than "Is it liquid, fragile, or perishable?". Someone could not be following regulations unless they have changed drastically in the past year.
    I thought it sounded a bit unlikely. It would also be impractical with most things, surely? Not finishing packing until you're at the PO counter - I can't see how that would work?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    is that a normal service provided by usps?
    every time i request pick up service yes they ask to leave package open before seal and ship always...

Thanks for your visit....I invite you to see my auctions..
    ]http://beta.repatoo.com/user/FairyLady/

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngels View Post
    every time i request pick up service yes they ask to leave package open before seal and ship always...
    Ah... you didn't mention *pick up* service. That's rather different. Standing in the post office with a queue behind you, asking the guy behind the counter to check the contents and pass you the tape, all seemed rather unlikely!!

Hello, Stealmysunshine,

I have been reading all of this thread with some interest, and note your complaint about having to pay £122 for a broken mixer!

To summarise your posts, it appears you were paid £122 by your buyer for your mixer, and then PayPal refunded that buyer the £122 on his allegation that the mixer was broken. However, PayPal are seeking the £122 from you, because you removed their ability to reclaim the monies from your bank account. Right so far?

IMHO it would seem that the net result is that you were scammed by the buyer who returned a used and dirty mixer to you which may well NOT have been the original mixer you sold to them, although you cannot prove this, not having photos or note of serial number etc.

However, you had received payment from the buyer, which I assume went into your PayPal account. What hapened to that £122 then - did you withdraw it or transfer it to your own bank account? That would explain PayPal seeking reimbursement from you, as they no longer have access to your funds. Further, if this is the case, then you are only 'out of pocket' in so far as now having a broken mixer rather that one in GWO.

I feel therefore that it would be prudent to repay the £122 you have had, back to PayPal, and put this whole incident down to experience (of the lack of it) - and learn from it. If you do not reimburse PayPal, you run the risk of being labelled as a debtor and of being brought before the Courts yourself. In addition, you will risk finding you will have to pay interest on the outstanding sum, plus court and legal costs.

Yes, you were probably scammed, and PayPal's policy towards sellers does leave a lot to be desired, but is it worth 'being in the right' when you stand to lose so much more? Remember too, that being recorded as a debtor will compromise your credit rating whenever you wish, in the future, to open a bank or credit card account, take out a credit agreement or loan, or take part in any financial transaction. Personally, I would rather swallow my indignation and put the matter behind me - rather than suffer the stress of debt collectors calling, wondering when the next knock on the door will come ... Life's too short. You know you likely made some bad decisions - allowing carrier collection when you advertised 'collection in person' only, omitting to record serial number etc., and denying access to your bank by PayPal which does make it appear that YOU were at fault. Yes, the buyer's actions do rankle, but from a legal point of view you don't have much prima facie evidence that would carry a case in your favour.

As I said before, I would settle up with PayPal and then forget it, before you end up with more than you bargained for. Sorry, but that's the plain facts of life and of questionable business transactions. I mean no personal criticisms, but sometimes we need to learn the hard way.
    Last edited by NowAndThen; 7th March 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Forum Newbie
    Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View mumsie260's Feedback (+17)
    All-About mumsie260
    View mumsie260's Listings
    Forum Posts

i completely sympathise with you and understand totally the horro that paypal can put you through, i sold a mobile phone on the "other site" and after using it for quite a few months the buyer claimed to paypal that it was damaged , this is someone that i could gather road a bike and it was winter at the time so raining, anyway paypal said send th ephone back which he did but bits missing and then he gor a full refund,i complained that he had broke it and had used it for a very long time adn there were some things misisng that were sent with it but got no where.. i loooked on the net and there are plenty more storeis similar or much worse than mine. oh and the other site well they are no differnt either!!!

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is a real horror story.Sorry to hear about it.
    cheers tony

Quote Originally Posted by florida33549 View Post
    I no longer accept PP. Thought PP users would found this article interesting: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ay_paypal.html
    As a former greedbay user and poopal account holder, I now no longer use either!

As for accepting payments on ebid, after several nasty experiences on poopal, I also refuse to accept it!

Hello and welcome to eBid.

As I understand it, from the first few posts (I don't have time to read all of them): you allowed your buyer to orgainise a courier to pick up the mixer. paypoop have said you should refund the buyer because it is now broken.

Unfortunately you will have to refund the buyer through paypoop, however as soon as you have refunded them you will be able to send a letter to the buyer asking them for the money back and insist they claim from their courier. It is your buyers responsibility to claim from the courier and in fact they could be doing this right now (maybe they already thought they could get a paypoop refund and claim from the courier). If your buyer refuses to return the money then you need to ask for help at your local Citizens Advice. They can help you decide if you have a claim and will guide you through a the small claims procedure. If I am right then, then you will be able to take the buyer to court for the damage.

The small claims court is a fairly low cost provided you do not involve a solicitor. http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/

This dispute is not with paypoop it is with your buyer and the courier.
    Last edited by ChameleonSystems; 29th March 2009 at 10:20 AM.
    I remember everything, even what happened tomorrow.

games4mac ~ DragonsRest ~ DragonsRest Lounge ~ Windfall

Meet my avatar: Qu the engineer and enchanter. Who else could invent the armour piercing rabbit (can dig holes through anything) and the duck gun (fires rubber ducks)?
    Join me on eBid here.

God bless eBid and all who sale in her!

Forum Newbie
    Perth, Perthshire and Kinross, United Kingdom
    View stealmysunshine's Feedback (+22)
    All-About stealmysunshine
    View stealmysunshine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by firstballs View Post
    Yeah people ppal do behave like muppets but you know what for the people on the other side recieving good that is broken its their last chance to get money back

Little TIP HOW MANY PEOPLE DONT ALREADY KNOW YOU CANT SEND BRAKABLE GOODS WITH PARCELFORCE and not

Take pictures of original item
    Make note of serial numbers
    Take full insurance

Lovely picture lass but you got to be serious You sent a breakable item through parcelforce didnt make it clear its breakable
    didnt have copy of shipping bill i mean you want ppal to lol at you ??

I think the biggest problem is when you get something like this happen to you instead of learning people look for someone to point and blame

Here is scenario for buyer
    You pay 100+ for an item it comes Broken
    You try to see if you can use it decide item is broken when you turn it on and it makes that dying cat noise
    I mean come on there is no way that is not going back to sender i mean you might as well come to my house ask me for charity cause i wont give anyone free money fro broken goods

If i send parcel force to you least you can do is package item for transit
    It is actually possible to send China with parcel force that wont break
    Cause you pack it right and mark it right

I thnk your situation started maybe cause you didnt have time to pack it properly

It is your duty as a seller to make sure anything your sending it going properly and safetly packed

Ppal can not side with you if buyer says item is broken to bits
    Cause what law will allow them to give you that buyers money ?
    Worst if you sell Via Buy it now Legal law means that buyer is entitled to a refund anyways

Welcome to Harsh real selling world it is not a nice place

Just wanted to add though i do really feel your pain but its better you learn hard way than have all these people trying to look for right in wrong you did

The reason why I didn't feel the need to take pictures was because I advertised it as PICK UP ONLY, if I had advertised it as courier pick up I would have taken some. Communication with the buyer up until that point was great and I thought everything would run smoothly so did not think I would need pictures or the serial number, and as they paid for the courier it would not be my responsibility if the item was broken! Oh how stupid of me.

I cannot claim from parcelforce, it was up to the buyer, I could not beg them to claim from them. They obviously decided the easiest way to get a full refund was to open up a dispute with paypal, and blame me for the damaged goods!

I also wrapped the mixer up in bubble wrap, carboard etc but if the courier as some people have described, throw their parcels around obviously the mixer is going to be broken regardless!

I am no further forward with the case, the debt collectors have stopped phoning the house, instead my mobile which I have set to reject their calls. Got to the point where they would phone me every day and ask me to pay them back, and I would have to repeat the same situation over and over again, to a different person every time. Not a chance in hell will they receive any money from me.

Thread Information