Thread: Problems with a Seller - Not sure what to do

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Problems with a Seller - Not sure what to do

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    My domains are registered with 1&1, who looked okay, it was only when I got to the following day (registered on a Sunday) that I found my inbox flooded with spam about website-building and the like.
    You should be ab;e to go to your control panel and choose which notifications they send you

I get marketing mails from my host but only for stuff I would do if I had the funds for it....no spam so far

I am with Go Daddy

My domains are registered with 1&1, who looked okay, it was only when I got to the following day (registered on a Sunday) that I found my inbox flooded with spam about website-building and the like.
    When you say 'spam' do you mean arbitrary spammers around the world, or were these promotional mails from 1&1 themselves?

I've used 123reg and domainmonster, both are reasonably priced and provide what I want for control of my domains. But I'm sure there are plenty of others similar.

Years ago I used godaddy. Very cheap, but the boss had an ego a mile wide and used such sexist advertising it made Trump look like an angel in comparison. In recent years it's been toned down, but I've seen other reports of their service that looked risky. 20 years ago I used uk2.net, they were cheapest, but when I needed to contact them because my domain was screwed up, I found it was impossible to contact them by phone and numerous other folk had complaints about them -- of course I don't suppose that's relevant now, I just checked and they even provide an 0800 number. Still, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". I feel the same about MyHermes, I can't understand how they stay in business. Luckily they're not a domain registrar!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Moonwitch: Yes I did that but only after the damage had been done. I obviously didn't look in the right place when I signed up, but looked everywhere I could for an opt-out for getting emails off "selected partners" or whatever jargon they use. But could not find one. Having said that I still get the trash even after opting out.

Johnwash: All of the spam I referred to was targeted around website development and the like and the only place I had left my email concerned with that subject was with the 1 & 1 scum. None of the emails claimed to have anything to do with 1 & 1, but the coincidence of my giving my email address and the arrival of the mails is just too much of a coincidence.

As a result of this (I thought that organisations were obliged to offer punters an opt out) I have very little confidence in 1&1; about as much as I have in Nationwide Building Society after they gave my number to scammers some time ago.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

I have been thinking about this situation and am wondering if it is wise to contact the person and challenge him about these charges, or just go and claim the refund from PP without contacting him. What makes me unsure is that in his email (he has consistently ignored the ASL system) he asked for permissions to bill me by PP for the charges (wages + double price). My thinking is that if he realises that I disagree and might go for a refund he might bill me regardless of whether I agree. If he did I would refuse to pay, which might potentially compromise my PP account.

Just wondering would you guys contact him and risk being billed, go for the refund?

Thanks

I would be inclined to open a Paypal dispute and go through the official channels setting out all your reasons why the purchase you made isn't fit for purpose and state that the seller is trying to charge more money. He can then put his side of the story via Paypal if he wishes but he wouldn't have grounds to issue another bill.

Just do a INR on paypal as you haven't received it, he can invoice you as much as he wants, you don't have to pay it

I have been thinking about this situation and am wondering if it is wise to contact the person and challenge him about these charges, or just go and claim the refund from PP without contacting him. What makes me unsure is that in his email (he has consistently ignored the ASL system) he asked for permissions to bill me by PP for the charges (wages + double price). My thinking is that if he realises that I disagree and might go for a refund he might bill me regardless of whether I agree. If he did I would refuse to pay, which might potentially compromise my PP account.

Just wondering would you guys contact him and risk being billed, go for the refund?

Thanks
    Personally I'd always communicate, saying calmly what I was about to do and why I felt it necessary. Look at it this way: if you were on the receiving end, wouldn't you want that, rather than an abrupt chargeback out of the blue? Though I think from what you said earlier you may have already told him you're unhappy and why.

I've just spent a week waiting for a buyer on another site to pay. When a couple of days had gone by, with no payment or comms, I asked him how he was going to pay. After a further delay I got a one-word response 'Paypal'. I continued to wait. After nearly a week I figured it out. He was a buyer in USA, I'd set postage for UK, but for other countries unspec'd and to contact the seller. OK, it's a very different example from yours, Lofty, but I only mention it as an illustration of how important communication is, and how easily things can go adrift if people neglect it.

Oh, and it's a good idea not to sound patronising! Though I'm sure someone will say that's how I'm coming across, even though honestly I'm just trying to help. After all, the example I'm giving, it was at least as much my failure as the other guy's.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Yes Johnwash, I know what you are saying and letting him know first is what I would normally do. What is muddying the waters though is that he is threatening to bill me through PP for what he thinks he is owed. I am worried about the consequences of him doing this and me refusing to pay. I don't really want to lose the PP account because of this.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes Johnwash, I know what you are saying and letting him know first is what I would normally do. What is muddying the waters though is that he is threatening to bill me through PP for what he thinks he is owed. I am worried about the consequences of him doing this and me refusing to pay. I don't really want to lose the PP account because of this.
    nope you will not lose your PP account Lofty you can prove hes altering the terms of the contract with no negotiation, eg emails, i think the only thing you need to do now is tell him its unacceptable to alter the agreed price and terms and you are cancelling the deal, do it through the ASL and add a foot note you wont respond again unless he communicates the same way, the more you wait the more of a head fk your getting ,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

I agree with Sid, Buttons, Cornish et al. I can't see how a seller can raise an invoice for an additional amount and expect Paypal to be on his side. Indeed Paypal have a reputation for siding with the buyer in disputes when it's not clear who's at fault. If he's handed over something that's of some value to you, though not what you were hoping for, you might in fairness go for a partial refund. But it sounds like you've had nothing at all. Go for it, you deserve a full refund if you don't receive anything.

Don't delay.

Thread Information