Thread: Cold Calling

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Cold Calling

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1942 View Post
    I just wind them up.Only bit of fun i get.
    When I get them at the RNLI I just put the phone receiver down on the counter and let them talk to the room. Same with those recorded messages about insurance or debt or whatever they are. I don't know how long they stay on the line, or how much it costs them, but one can hope.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Morning Kim . we had one a short while back , registered tps and exdirectory , I asked the young lady to remove my number from her list , we cannot remove the number unles you tell us your name...well this did go on for a couple of minutes before I asked who she was calling for / from..would you believe she gave a name and number of a garage in deepest England , she was selling double glazing...the name was the same as the garage...I complained to the TPS and a couple of weeks later I received a letter of apology from the firm and no more calls......papa.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just had one of these calls - from a Claims line about a 'car accident' I had about 2 years ago! What accident?

We are registered with the TPS, but didn't stay on the line to find out what the caller was offering - just called him a liar and slammed the phone down.

There are many tricks to try and stop these calls - probably find them by googling. One of my mailing lists was full of ways to deal with these nuisance calls:

- keep saying "Hello?" as though you can't hear them, (I see this as revenge for the sort of call where
    it is silent when you first pick up). Another tactic is to pretend that the line is very bad, that you can hear their voice but not what they are saying, and ask them to call back another time - it's surprising how often they never do.

- say nothing and leave the phone on the side for 10 minutes before hanging up.

etc.etc.

-

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Probably the three best things you can do are:

1) Register with TPS (UK based companies using overseas call centres ARE still bound by the regulations).
    2) If you get a nuisance call, then rather than asking them not to call again, immediately inform them that the number called is registered with TPS, and then ask how they got the number in the first place.
    3) Scan all small print on everything you sign for a tick box that says something along the lines of: No, don't send my details to everyone you can think of, not even "carefully selected third parties".

After doing call centre IT for years and years it became blatantly obvious that "carefully selected 3rd parties" is just another way of saying "anyone willing to pay for the data".

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    3) Scan all small print on everything you sign for a tick box that says something along the lines of: No, don't send my details to everyone you can think of, not even "carefully selected third parties".
    That kind of assumption of consent should be made illegal under the DPA. The default response should always be consent withheld.

I did list loads of ways i tackle callers but my fav at the moment is " Sorry i only speak English.Can't understand you".
    My all time fav is."Hello,family planning centre,castration dept.Please leave your name and address and our moble unit will be round to you as soon as possible".

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Ok ive done the buisness for the old dear, and have also had a dig at her Utility co for not telling her the cheapest option , thats all sorted.

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Those familiar with the Bob & Tom radio show in the US, may already be familiar with this cold caller experience.

Definitely my favourite way of dealing with them... so far.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1942 View Post
    I did list loads of ways i tackle callers but my fav at the moment is " Sorry i only speak English.Can't understand you".
    My all time fav is."Hello,family planning centre,castration dept.Please leave your name and address and our moble unit will be round to you as soon as possible".
    LMAO!

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

I calmly inform them that I am registered with the telephone preference service and that its illegal for them to phone me (regardless of if they are calling from the UK or not) which tends to get them to hang up in a hurry.

Thread Information