Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: GREAT BRITAIN this sums it all up

Quote Originally Posted by youmeus View Post
    I'm sure we couldn't go to other countries and expect them to adapt to our way of doing things and speaking ......
    Excuse me?!

This is one of the things that America is known for all over the world. Why do you think that there are so many people specifically targeting the US soldiers across the Middle East right now?

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Excuse me?!

This is one of the things that America is known for all over the world. Why do you think that there are so many people specifically targeting the US soldiers across the Middle East right now?
    I meant this as individuals. As in all countries we don't all agree with what our govenment does at all times.

To give some perspective to this thread…………

There is no national Government policy that school children cannot wear England football shirts.

There is no national Government policy that Christmas decorations cannot be put up in the streets.

There is no Government policy to cancel Christmas Day as a public holiday.

There is no national Government policy that charitable organisations cannot put up Christmas decorations.

If any public sector organisation has a policy that children cannot wear England football shirts or that Christmas decorations cannot be put up in the streets, then the local electorate have the right to request a change in policy. If requests are not listened to, then the process called democracy kicks in and choices can be made through the ballot box.

Here in England it is not possible for the Christian religion to be abandoned. The monarch is not only the Head of State but also the Head of the Church. The term Lords Spiritual as used in the House of Lords refers to the quota of peers from the Church who are part of the legislative process in England and who are therefore an integral part of the State.

As pointed out already, the Birmingham local authority has no involvement in the issuing of driving licences.

The article referred to is intended to incite a reaction from people who do not think before they react.

My part of England has one of the highest proportions of non native British ethnicity in its population. Not once in the 25 years that I have lived here have I ever heard anybody from an immigrant background say that they want Christmas to be abandoned or that they find the celebration of Christmas offensive or that they do not want England football shirts to be worn. Most of the people from an immigrant background here want all sections of the community to live in harmony with each other and for all sections of the community to be shown respect for their values and traditions. Other than that they have no desire to change the local way of life.

It is a fact of life that that people who are separated and isolated from the rest of humanity interpret the world around them in terms of their separated and isolated condition. People who are not separated from others and who have real love in their lives generally have respect for others as their fellow brothers and sisters irrespective of ethnic or spiritual background. The separated people allow their passions to be inflamed when they fall for the politicking of others and do not question the trouble stirring that is put around. The people who put this sort of nonsense around feed off the energy that is created when they get a reaction from others. It is how they fill the emptiness in their lives.

I am a white English person who can remember the racism in my family when my father used to erupt with rage when he used to be taken in by this kind of trouble stirring in the 1960s. I thought that this nation had moved on from those days.

There comes a point in life when we all have to grow up and behave like adults and take personal responsibility for how we conduct ourselves in our society. That’s what the people from an immigrant background do where I live – whether they are first generation immigrants or second or third generation. Maybe that’s what the people who start up these kinds of articles should do as well.

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by westlondoncarparts View Post
    To give some perspective to this thread…………

There is no national Government policy that school children cannot wear England football shirts.

There is no national Government policy that Christmas decorations cannot be put up in the streets.

There is no Government policy to cancel Christmas Day as a public holiday.

There is no national Government policy that charitable organisations cannot put up Christmas decorations.

If any public sector organisation has a policy that children cannot wear England football shirts or that Christmas decorations cannot be put up in the streets, then the local electorate have the right to request a change in policy. If requests are not listened to, then the process called democracy kicks in and choices can be made through the ballot box.

Here in England it is not possible for the Christian religion to be abandoned. The monarch is not only the Head of State but also the Head of the Church. The term Lords Spiritual as used in the House of Lords refers to the quota of peers from the Church who are part of the legislative process in England and who are therefore an integral part of the State.

As pointed out already, the Birmingham local authority has no involvement in the issuing of driving licences.

The article referred to is intended to incite a reaction from people who do not think before they react.

My part of England has one of the highest proportions of non native British ethnicity in its population. Not once in the 25 years that I have lived here have I ever heard anybody from an immigrant background say that they want Christmas to be abandoned or that they find the celebration of Christmas offensive or that they do not want England football shirts to be worn. Most of the people from an immigrant background here want all sections of the community to live in harmony with each other and for all sections of the community to be shown respect for their values and traditions. Other than that they have no desire to change the local way of life.

It is a fact of life that that people who are separated and isolated from the rest of humanity interpret the world around them in terms of their separated and isolated condition. People who are not separated from others and who have real love in their lives generally have respect for others as their fellow brothers and sisters irrespective of ethnic or spiritual background. The separated people allow their passions to be inflamed when they fall for the politicking of others and do not question the trouble stirring that is put around. The people who put this sort of nonsense around feed off the energy that is created when they get a reaction from others. It is how they fill the emptiness in their lives.

I am a white English person who can remember the racism in my family when my father used to erupt with rage when he used to be taken in by this kind of trouble stirring in the 1960s. I thought that this nation had moved on from those days.

There comes a point in life when we all have to grow up and behave like adults and take personal responsibility for how we conduct ourselves in our society. That’s what the people from an immigrant background do where I live – whether they are first generation immigrants or second or third generation. Maybe that’s what the people who start up these kinds of articles should do as well.
    Ah but surely the whole point of it is WE CAN BLAME THE GOVERNMENT I know I do from the weather to Having no money in my bank! But that is the point In a repressed country I could not say this without Being in real danger.

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Quote Originally Posted by BookZoneOnline View Post
    I agree with that article 100% - What really cheeses me off is the erosion of our British culture
    So exactly what is our British culture ?

How does it differ from English,Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Manx,Cornish or whatever culture ?

Are Chinese, Indian, Thai restaurants part of our British culture ? What about pizzas ?

What about music ? Reggae is certainly a big part of MY culture, and I'm British. And Melas are becoming a big part of the British culture.

What about St. George [who, if he existed at all, never came within 500 miles of Britain. And was made patron saint by an aristocratic elite of largely Norman/French descent].

What about Christianity, come to that ? It may have been here a bit longer than Islam, but is still a non-indigenous faith.

So...you know, if someone could actually explain what this British culture that is being eroded actually is...I'd be most grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsheadbooks View Post
    And Melas are becoming a big part of the British culture.
    What are melas? That's not something I've heard of before.

I didnt know there was a british vulture.

Dang - its CULTURE - not vulture - knew I shoulda went to specksavers.
    Last edited by MagnetsAndHangers; 21st October 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    What are melas? That's not something I've heard of before.
    A festival of Indian origin, now becoming quite esthablished in some areas...in the North East there are big ones in Middlesbrough and Newcastle.

Music, drama, food...I even watched a fashion show, this year's styles in sari's, etc !

If you google "mela" you'll probably find photos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsheadbooks View Post
    A festival of Indian origin, now becoming quite esthablished in some areas..
    So that then begs the question of whether something can be considered to be a part of British culture if, as it appears in this case, it is only popular in a limited number of areas where particular groups of immigrants are gathered?

Do these Melas happen in areas which do not have an immigrant population? Are they arranged by, run by and attended by non-immigrants? Or are they actually not a part of British culture at all, just merely something which some British people attend when these events are staged by the immigrant culture?

Thread Information