Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bounced cheque from new buyer

Angry Bounced cheque from new buyer

I have had a cheque returned to me from from my bank. it was from a new buyer to the site. She failed to get in touch to let me know if the items which were despatched and would have been signed for had infact been received. I have informed the Ebid team as to my problem and have asked for her phone number to get in touch.

I had a few problem at the beginning with this buyer as first she did not want the items and then said she did. I took her completely on trust and accepted her cheque. but she had failed to pay the full amount at the time, as she had ommited the postage costs, and I did not notice at the time and despatched the goods. I have a lot of stress at the moment as my husband is seriously ill and is in and out of hospital all the time and I failed to notice the shortage of payment. But my husband noticed the non payment of the postage. I informed the buyer and she said she would send another cheque to cover the cost. But as you can expect non has been received, nor has she told me if the goods have arrived even though she has to sign for them.

Has anyone else had this problem and did you resolve it. I have informed the Ebid team and emailed her, so I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I can resolve this. Otherwise I am out of pocket again due to a NEW buyer.

Simple answer is why did you post the item before the cheque was cleared,you brought all this hassle upon yourself. If you follow the rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't worry life doesn't last forever

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?u...heir-all-about

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes sanddancer, I think you were a bit naive.

Most places don't send the goods till the cheque clears !

What did support say ? (although its not really their problem)

You could pm the buyer and demand payment by another means within a reasonable time, or say that you will publisher her name (is hat allowed ?)

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

nope - can't name and shame I think
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View Naturelady's Feedback (+653)
    All-About Naturelady
    View Naturelady's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have only had one customer pay by check. I did not ship goods until payment cleared. She was fine with the wait and everything went smoothly. I think this is the norm for people paying by check or money order. I am sorry about your transaction. Hope your husband gets well quickly. I know an illness can make us do things we wouldn't ordinarily do. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

If she won't make payment a different way, and if the item wasn't very expensive, considering the stress you are already dealing with, you might consider just writing it off and blackballing her. If she doesn't make payment in another manner, be sure to leave negative feedback so that other people can be warned of how she had handed things. Wishing you grace and peace in the new year. Linda
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sanddancer View Post
    I have had a cheque returned to me from from my bank. it was from a new buyer to the site. She failed to get in touch to let me know if the items which were despatched and would have been signed for had infact been received. I have informed the Ebid team as to my problem and have asked for her phone number to get in touch.

I had a few problem at the beginning with this buyer as first she did not want the items and then said she did. I took her completely on trust and accepted her cheque. but she had failed to pay the full amount at the time, as she had ommited the postage costs, and I did not notice at the time and despatched the goods. I have a lot of stress at the moment as my husband is seriously ill and is in and out of hospital all the time and I failed to notice the shortage of payment. But my husband noticed the non payment of the postage. I informed the buyer and she said she would send another cheque to cover the cost. But as you can expect non has been received, nor has she told me if the goods have arrived even though she has to sign for them.

Has anyone else had this problem and did you resolve it. I have informed the Ebid team and emailed her, so I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I can resolve this. Otherwise I am out of pocket again due to a NEW buyer.
    No, I have never had this problem; but I have never posted an item to anyone paying by check or money order until the funds clear. I include statement in my s/h policy to inform potential buyers. However, I do understand the stress of a caregiver. Consider it a mistake, relax, and make efforts not to repeat the mistake. Hope your husband is doing better and that you both have a blessed Holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturelady View Post
    I have only had one customer pay by check. I did not ship goods until payment cleared. She was fine with the wait and everything went smoothly. I think this is the norm for people paying by check or money order. I am sorry about your transaction. Hope your husband gets well quickly. I know an illness can make us do things we wouldn't ordinarily do. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Ditto!

Thank you Naturelady and HerMajesty for your understanding words. Yes I made an enormous error of bad judgement. My husband is always wanting to send things the minute payment is received even if it is a cheque. But on this occasion because it was so close to Christmas and as I was not thinking straight and even though she did not pay the postage costs, I sent the item recorded delivery. I know, I don't need other people reminding me of the stupidity of what I did. But I am a very trusting person and have been stung on more than one occasion, BUT I will never make this mistake again.
    I got her phone number and although it was not the correct area code managed to ring the number only a short curt message said "cannot leave a message at this time" and was disconected. It seems as if I have been scammed. I have lost goods to the value of £15 as well as postage costs of £3.10.
    I am now retired so living on a pension as is my husband so that amount of money is quite a bit to us. I can of course leave negative feedback and she will be struck off no doubt. But it does not stop her coming back with a new name and do the same thing again, as I have heard this happening before.
    As for waiting for cheques being cleared I would normally wait. I have had someone pay by bank transfer and the next day they complained they had not recieved their goods. Other pople have equally complained of delays which was not my fault. I have had someone in London say there Parcel did not turn up and although I had it checked through the post office I again ended up out of pocket as the post office would not pay back the value of the goods as I did not have the original receipt. So I learned to only send expensive items recorded, signed for delivery.
    I sincerely hope I do hear from her, but something tells me I won't. As for being stupid and naive, maybe those people who readily condem others making the same mistakes have some human compassion as I would not wish illness and stress on anyone. My husband may not make it and every day I worry about him, so of course people in my situation make mistakes. Merry Christmas to all!

Im sorry that youv had a bounced check, not good but like nature lady and her majesty have said, youv got some awful stress in your life at the moment, you must just shelve this, we all make errors of judgement its called being human, your not a robot and what you are going through at the minute would send any of us in to turmoil, how you are still carrying on your business is anyones business and should be applauded. Let this situation with the buyer go, this person probably wont get in touch and there is nothing you can do about it, so dont spend anymore time worrying.

All my best to you and your husband

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

"As for being stupid and naive, maybe those people who readily condem others making the same mistakes have some human compassion as I would not wish illness and stress on anyone. My husband may not make it and every day I worry about him, so of course people in my situation make mistakes. Merry Christmas to all! "

I've been in your situation, sanddancer, and would have done exactly the same as you - it is not a case of being stupid, or naive, but a wish to tie things up in order to attend to more important issues. To be honest, I always sent out items under £10 before a cheque cleared and had no problems. I am honest myself and expect honesty in others.

Don't be too disheartened by this. Move on and learn from it.

I wish you and your husband a peaceful Xmas and all good wishes for the new year. xxx

Thread Information