Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Some explanation is needed...

Default Re: Some explanation is needed...

Personally I think Bykimbo and 0ctavia are both right. Code that can overcome this issue would be very simple to produce but the ease of the solution also depends on it being decided to use a simple workaround or maybe make it a more complex, dogs breakfast of a problem to solve.

But Bykimbo is also right that, even if a simple workaround is to be adopted (e.g. enabling an optional unregistered visitor "buy now" routine for seller+ members), the guys will still need some time and space to analyse the implications of changes to their code AND their business model.

I know a few people are getting ratty about the lack of reponse so far but this isn't a major corporation. Gazza an Mark might have families and real lives at the weekend so give them a fair chance to think about the issue and repond. In the meantime those eBidders who, like me, accept Madelaine and 0ctavia have made a convincing argument that there's an issue to be addressed can probably help G&M more by offering possible solutions and ideas.

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HelenAndGraham View Post
    Personally I think Bykimbo and 0ctavia are both right. Code that can overcome this issue would be very simple to produce but the ease of the solution also depends on it being decided to use a simple workaround or maybe make it a more complex, dogs breakfast of a problem to solve.

But Bykimbo is also right that, even if a simple workaround is to be adopted (e.g. enabling an optional unregistered visitor "buy now" routine for seller+ members), the guys will still need some time and space to analyse the implications of changes to their code AND their business model.

I know a few people are getting ratty about the lack of reponse so far but this isn't a major corporation. Gazza an Mark might have families and real lives at the weekend so give them a fair chance to think about the issue and repond. In the meantime those eBidders who, like me, accept Madelaine and 0ctavia have made a convincing argument that there's an issue to be addressed can probably help G&M more by offering possible solutions and ideas.
    Yes, a nice positive spin on things.

We all think this is a problem. Lots think they have the solution.

When I first started I thought one of the biggest problems this site had are the dump and run sellers (I still do think it is very important). I was going to get the problem fixed in a day. Then my husband so rightly pointed out that it was my issue and that the fix may not be as easy as I thought.

There are lots of things that turn people away from a site. It may not be any one thing at all. I think that all the things that can be fixed on eBid without bringing down the whole site are done quickly. Those things that take thought and lots of work are done when it can be done without losing everything.

We can be grateful that at least eBid listens tries to fix things as quickly as they can.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    We all think this is a problem. Lots think they have the solution.

When I first started I thought one of the biggest problems this site had are the dump and run sellers (I still do think it is very important). I was going to get the problem fixed in a day. Then my husband so rightly pointed out that it was my issue and that the fix may not be as easy as I thought.

There are lots of things that turn people away from a site. It may not be any one thing at all. I think that all the things that can be fixed on eBid without bringing down the whole site are done quickly. Those things that take thought and lots of work are done when it can be done without losing everything.

We can be grateful that at least eBid listens tries to fix things as quickly as they can.
    Well said.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Reading through everyones posts to this thread can we all agree a positive fix might just be...

Once a member is registered with all information they remain registered unless the information provided is incorrect or false. I get a sense administration will for some reason have an after thought and decide a certain buyer or seller needs additional verification.
    It should be like the US/IRS Tax system in which case you fill out your taxes with all proper informnation and if your due a refund a check is sent right away. If for any reason you have falsified your documents they come back and ask for their money back. (not hard to tell it's tax day here)

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Email systems, both from the ISP and client sides are *constantly* evolving and trying to trap as much spam as possible for their users. They have to, because spammers are constantly morphing to try to get through. The user doesn't need to make changes for things to alter. But they might sometimes need to make changes to keep some consistency. I can see that this might be a peculiar concept for non-techies, but surely it's no more peculiar than the idea that ebid is somehow doing something to their emails to *make* them look like spam? Or that they positively want to drive away good buyers?
    Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    The wording is terrible. But, frankly, eBid's wording often is!
    Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    aaaa

I mentioned the above (quote) because it's what happened in my particular case.
    When joining I had absolutely no problems with initial emails sent to me, namely:
    1. Your Auction Password.
    2. Welcome to eBid Online Auctions
    3. Receipt for your payment to eBid Ltd
    4. eBid - Feedback Imported OK
    There were other successful emails sent to me for the next 4 weeks after joining.....

Then ....... Suddenly, one day I logged on and there was the "Strikethrough" .....

Yes, it was because of eBid's emails NOW going into my 'junk' folder, and eventually I discovered this (though admittedly it wasn't even 'on my radar' as a possible problem, and no, I hadn't read eBid's article about Spam problems)....

All I saw was "You have been banned for the following reason:"
    and "
    Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

Yes, ultimately it was my 'mistake' an oversight,
    but why does the message read in such a way that it terrifies the life out of a newbie?
    And why did the emails suddenly (after 4 weeks) become 'spam' - what had now changed with the emails to cause this?

The emails didn't change, either you accidentally hit the spam/junk setting when receiving an eBid email, it's a fairly easy thing to do,
    OR, & much more likely
    your email provider changed something their end (or had problems/was down for maintenance)

They do it all the time, as Kim say's in the never ending fight against the spammers, if you care to do a forum search you'll find that Hotmail Yahoo including BT/Yahoo & AOL, have all done this at one time or another, here are a few to get you started

http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...il#post1114009
    http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...il#post1232496
    http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...il#post1233165

One user had major problems because Blueyonder/Virgin made major changes
    http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...ng#post1100774

Sometimes the emails don't even get as far as your PC but are rejected as spam when received by the email provider. Sometimes emails sent from one of eBid's servers get through, while those sent from another don't.

It's NOT only eBid that is affected,
    for at least a year, nobody who used blueyonder in the UK, could send any mail to bigpond users in Australia, because ALL blueyonder emails had been marked as spam!

Emails that are totally rejected bounce back to eBid, somewhere Gazza posted about the problems this was causing them.
    I think that was when they changed the system, to lock users out, as a way of bringing it to their attention, probably not one of their better ideas
    I definitely agree the wording could be better.

I'm with Astral, & believe a web based system of communicating, between eBid & individual account users, would be a better way to deal with things, in fact I believed I suggest that, at least 2 years ago, but again it is not something that is likely to be a quick fix.

Nearly every change that has been made to the functionality of the site over the years, has had an, impact elsewhere in the site, with a bunch of problems for the Guys to fix.
    It's NOT as simple as changing a couple of lines in javascript or xhtml, or rewriting a css file, eBid is not a two page personal website.
    Once done the changes have to be tested, then when they believe they have tested everything, they go live, & find something they hadn't expected after all. If you regularly use sites like facebook or twitter you'll know the sorts of problems end users get, when they start tinkering with things.

So those who think Gazza & Mark can just wave a magic wand, & make the changes they are demanding overnight, are going to be disappointed.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 17th April 2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

The problems you highlight with emails to spam are all the more reason that something needs to be done about this and, I respectfully suggest, that the simplest way is to add that extra option at sign up to be a guest buyer using a shopping cart. You set the parameters for their spending power in the basket.

Anyone who already reckons they will be using the site regularly will opt for the full verification and it really is necessary to provide them with all the email addresses from which eBid might send them messages so they can add them to their allowed list. Anyone who is more of a casual buyer will be happy to be able to pop on and buy something without having to go through all the hassle AND they will be able to come back again, albeit with a limited account.

But at least anyone who is dipping their toes to see what the site is like won't come back and find themselves barred for nothing.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    Once a member is registered with all information they remain registered unless the information provided is incorrect or false.
    I don't believe eBid suspend an account on a whim. There has to be something wrong with a user's registration details for the block to be put on soon after registering. Whether that be an innocent error or an outright attempt to deceive...what do eBid do? Turn a blind eye and let the user continue or make them correct the error/ommission before further problems are caused?

I get a sense administration will for some reason have an after thought and decide a certain buyer or seller needs additional verification.
    Not in the case of buyers, but true in the case of sellers - then only if, with no eBid history, they list high value/high risk items that are favoured by scammers. As is ever the case, the honest seller has to suffer inconvenience due to the actions of a few bad apples - such is life.

The only situation in which I can imagine eBid might ask for more information from a buyer is if the supplied registration details cannot be resolved as correct when they are.

The common ground in all this is that all camps agree the way the user is addressed is bad. The gulf between us is in what we think eBid should do about it. That ranges from simply changing the text of the message to rewriting eBid. The best solution likely lies somewhere between - preferably towards the former.

As ever, what we all spout here is irrelevant. eBid will do as eBid will do. All anyone can do is raise the matter and hope they take it on board. I don't expect admin to come here and get embroiled in a debate (cum argument) over the issue. So expecting an overnight fix and getting upset when it doesn't materialise is pointless.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 0ctavias0fferings View Post
    Have you considered going into politics?
    Nope, but I have just considered ignoring you. Decision in...Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Nope, but I have just considered ignoring you. Decision in...Yes.
    Oh, how very droll.

People - and problems - don't go away if you ignore them.

In fact, problems tend to multiply.

Thread Information