Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Buddy Points or More Advertising?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of the buddy points system and concentrate more on advertising.

14 41.18%
  • I want to keep on earning my buddy points & purchase items when I have saved enough points.

17 50.00%
  • I don't care either way.

3 8.82%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Buddy points V Advertising

Default Re: Buddy points V Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Finally finished editing all current listings with the new buddy code. It's times like this that one is glad to have small number of listings. Once a bulk edit is done, it takes under a minute to edit and check a listing. If you have a small number of listings, no problem. I have about 295 listings, so that took about 5 hours. If you have thousands and thousands of listings, I do not envy you at this time, maybe later.

So my listings, forum signature, and About Me Page have been updated. However, a most important update still needed for Default, so new auctions will automatically contain the updated information. Will work on that after some rest.
    Well done you, it sounds like you deserve a rest.

What exactly is the problem with your My defaults?

You should be able to go into a saved template,
    if you use the advanced WYSIWYG editor,
    at the top left is a button that says Source, click it & paste in Jimbo's code at the bottom of the description part of the page, then click it again,
    & it should change back to the advanced WYSIWYG view.

Or the long way round,
    change the editor type to plain text in my general defaults, save it.
    Paste Jimbo's code at the bottom of the description part of the listing page & save
    then change the editor back to Advanced WYSIWYG in General Defaults & save it

Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Gothicina,

Thank you for leaving instructions for me to work on after I get some rest. Below is part of my quote that described my problem trying to update My Default. Perhaps you can see what went wrong with my initial attempts at the update. Thank you.

Added new code at the end of my default description (general tab). Tried to start a brand new auction, but the code remained in HTML and the previously stored Advanced WYSIWYG portion of the description, was in plain text. I closed the auction. I tried changing the option to "HTML" after entering specifics for the auction description above my default description information. Not sure what went wrong here.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

A big thank you some of eBid's finest!

Jimbo, for graceously showing us all how to add a quality buddy point link; and for helping us all to promote eBid better.

Ropegg, for giving me insight into testing my links to determine if the new code was in place.

Gothicina, for helping me to get the code into my default area.

Jeweleffects for reviewing and revising "My About Me Page" to a more attractive layout. I did not even know she had done it until after the fact. Now that is customer service! I purchased that "About Me" Template from Jeweleffects many moons ago.

EBid members like these are a big part of the reason eBid is going to be the #1 Auction Site in the near future (2-3 years hopefully)!

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

A big thank you some of eBid's finest!

Jimbo, for graceously showing us all how to add a quality buddy point link; and for helping us all to promote eBid better.

Ropegg, for giving me insight into testing my links to determine if the new code was in place.

Gothicina, for helping me to get the code into my default area.

Jeweleffects for reviewing and revising "My About Me Page" to a more attractive layout. I did not even know she had done it until after the fact. Now that is customer service! I purchased that "About Me" Template from Jeweleffects many moons ago.

EBid members like these are a big part of the reason eBid is going to be the #1 Auction Site in the near future (2-3 years hopefully)!
    And I have learned a few things in the process too. I felt for you with the default problem but I didn't know how to help. When I did my default page and the listings, the WYSIWYG side doesn't show what I want but between using it and the HTML side I ended up with something I like the results in the listings so left well enough alone.

I also thank all
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

Hmm you know, it occurs to me... what if Ebid were to put together an advertising package estimate , say, a collective sum, and ebidders could be offered the chance to use their buddy points to contribute toward that advertising package (whatever works - National Magazine ads, (This Old House, History Channel, WWII History, Military Heritage, Organic Gardening, etc, etc.) - TV ads in USA are not that as amazingly expensive as one might believe- at least for cable networks like BBCA , History Channel, Discovery, etc. - I can buy local TV ad spots for my business for as little as $400/month that are shown on locally broadcast cable channels) -

In a nutshell, give ebidders the opportunity to spend buddy points towards such an advertising campaign to be done by eBid - representative of what the company might save vs, sending out the freebie stuff. - its a win all around that way.
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Idealproductsales View Post
    Hmm you know, it occurs to me... what if Ebid were to put together an advertising package estimate , say, a collective sum, and ebidders could be offered the chance to use their buddy points to contribute toward that advertising package (whatever works - National Magazine ads, (This Old House, History Channel, WWII History, Military Heritage, Organic Gardening, etc, etc.) - TV ads in USA are not that as amazingly expensive as one might believe- at least for cable networks like BBCA , History Channel, Discovery, etc. - I can buy local TV ad spots for my business for as little as $400/month that are shown on locally broadcast cable channels) -

In a nutshell, give ebidders the opportunity to spend buddy points towards such an advertising campaign to be done by eBid - representative of what the company might save vs, sending out the freebie stuff. - its a win all around that way.

Well…after all I think we need ‘’more’’ sellers and in that way already goes past 13 years…advertising around is too expensive for the site and for kind of items we have in here a most…we need more ‘’sign ups’’ for seller + and after that person can have ‘’life time’’ to list own items…spend hours and hours every day for listing and spend hours and hours for finding buyers for own items…eBid is just a selling platform and all is up to each seller how will advertise own items…and again in that way already pass by 13 years…nothing more…nothing less…in the end I think eBid is the best place for selling own items on whole Net…and for the buyers….well…again that ‘’easy task’’ eBid left that for each seller in here to find the buyers for own items….

P.S. Good luck everybody I will stop by in the next couple days again…just too see how my fellow eBiders doing…...

View bunsock's Feedback (+14461)
    All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    .…eBid is just a selling platform and all is up to each seller how will advertise own items…
    I totally agree with Dzambo, its up to individual sellers to advertise and promote their items as appropriate. See post 82 on this thread.

Forum Newbie
    All-About pinkbarbie23
    View pinkbarbie23's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm amazed by the amount of people,(well 17 according to those big poll numbers on here) that would rather have a coffee mug over any form of advertising. It seems like everyone thinks that this site is perfect the way it is. I would like the home page to show a standing list of items sold so I could see if things are actually selling and how many things actually sell a day along with how they are being sold (auction, BIN and Make an offer) and along with how much they went for. I also want to see the real number of people's feedback and such from just this site, not imported from Ebay. As you can see I'm at zero, because I have sold zero on ebid.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbarbie23 View Post
    I'm amazed by the amount of people,(well 17 according to those big poll numbers on here) that would rather have a coffee mug over any form of advertising.
    I don't believe anyone stated that.

The poll was seriously flawed from the start, as the money saved from dropping Buddy Points would have no impact whatsoever on eBid's ability to finance an advertising campaign. The costs of each are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Buddy Points, in themselves, are a form of advertising (like the loyalty cards that stores dish out). Buddy Points encourage the user to promote eBid across various platforms to attract new business, so the 'bang per buck' must work for eBid for them to continue with it.

Those that believe giving up the Buddy Point system would finance advertising simply have no grasp of what advertising, on a scale to be effective, would cost.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

This has come to a screeching halt,
    so I'm bumping it up in case anyone
    else has something to add.

Thread Information