Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Item listed as new but dated 1960 something

Red face Item listed as new but dated 1960 something

I have come across this a couple of times and am not trying to be pedantic just asking for an opinion. How can something be new if it has a date of the sixties? Something else on another site was listed as new but dated 2004. Another thing that went through my mind is the difference between used and pre owned. I think pre owned is much better sounding what do other people think? Maybe you do not agree.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Item listed as new but dated 1960 something

Quote Originally Posted by anngypsygirl View Post
    I have come across this a couple of times and am not trying to be pedantic just asking for an opinion. How can something be new if it has a date of the sixties? Something else on another site was listed as new but dated 2004. Another thing that went through my mind is the difference between used and pre owned. I think pre owned is much better sounding what do other people think? Maybe you do not agree.

there was a big debate about this on ebid a few years ago the result was items could be listed as unused, new. used, i have noticed that some times if you list as unused it appears on google products as new a awful lot of people list across sites as new when it is in fact unused i dont really see it as a big deal

you could reopen the debate when is some thing new as opposed to unused what time frame does some thing change from new to unused
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

I suppose it depends on your definition of new. I have some Lord Of The Rings DVD sets that are still sealed. They have never been opened, played or anything, are they new? They have not been used so they are therefore not used, but if I sold them as pre owned would I have to sell all my stock as such as I purchased it and have owned it since.

My own opinion would be that for some items additional information should be given in the description. For example if I were to sell the DVD's I would list as new and state that they were bought, left sealed and put in storage and have never been opened or played.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not sure what sort of item you're talking about; in the case of jewelry sometimes the term 'new old stock' is used to describe pieces from earlier periods that are unworn or otherwise unused, (as from a store that closed down, etc.). IMHO such items would be better placed in the vintage category, with unused selected, if such, and maybe an explanation in the item description.

Just my 2 cents...

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Is the word New in the title? I've seen NIB (new in box) used on other sites, even when the items are several years old.

If the word New is selected from eBid's menu of Used, Unused and New, then why don't you notify the seller that it should be changed? It may be this is a new seller who doesn't know about the third option.

When I started listing I had a big problem with coins and stamps that were very old, and unused. The condition increased their value and there was no way I was going to list them as Used. I was involved in petitioning eBid to add the Unused option, which solved the problem.

Then I discovered that Google Shopping does indeed change Unused to New. Can't win, but it is legal. As long as the sellers are including the year, there is no intent to defraud.

Just remember that the single word "New" actually means "New Condition." Problem solved.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I suppose it depends on your definition of new. I have some Lord Of The Rings DVD sets that are still sealed. They have never been opened, played or anything, are they new? They have not been used so they are therefore not used, but if I sold them as pre owned would I have to sell all my stock as such as I purchased it and have owned it since.

My own opinion would be that for some items additional information should be given in the description. For example if I were to sell the DVD's I would list as new and state that they were bought, left sealed and put in storage and have never been opened or played.
    the question and the answer are subjective

ask a million people the ops question thousands will have one opinion thousands another and so on as you say the key is in a individuals definition

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Not sure what sort of item you're talking about; in the case of jewelry sometimes the term 'new old stock' is used to describe pieces from earlier periods that are unworn or otherwise unused, (as from a store that closed down, etc.). IMHO such items would be better placed in the vintage category, with unused selected, if such, and maybe an explanation in the item description.

Just my 2 cents...

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    NOS new old stock yes is a established term used in trading across all sites and brick and morter outlets although the term does contridict its self every one knows exactly what it means

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

The answer is simple (like me)

Sellers should make full use of the description box!

In my area for example - i.e. crystals & rocks, I list them as new, although in most cases they are millions of years old.
    If they been in the collection of somebody else, then I list them as used.

Q - should I list them as Vintage or prehistoric?????

Buyers always have the option of asking a question via the AAL

My 2 cents.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

as i said your gonna get thousands of different and the same answers its a individual definition

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post
    The answer is simple (like me)

Sellers should make full use of the description box!

In my area for example - i.e. crystals & rocks, I list them as new, although in most cases they are millions of years old.
    If they been in the collection of somebody else, then I list them as used.

Q - should I list them as Vintage or prehistoric?????

Buyers always have the option of asking a question via the AAL

My 2 cents.
    centre cubic ?

Thread Information